Smokers in the minority

Have any of you been to a CAMRA Meeting?
I was given some free* tickets a few years ago. These entitled you to so many glasses of free grog.
I went with Maj. Woodthorpe and the Reverend Morley, good friends and always ready for a P**s-up.
We got there and there were loads of Beardies all wandering around muttering about how the Old Scrotum's Very Peculiar had a cheesy smell and that the Clack Meister seemed to smell of old fish.
Most of them looked like they should have been allowed out without their Keepers. There was a constant thud at the doorway as more of them were rolled of the back of vehicles and they were released from their travelling sacks.
Fortunately, we found something brewed by a particularly alcoholic order of Belgian monks and slipped into oblivion after a few pints :D

* Remember "Free" is good and "That will be £20 Sir" is bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
you can all say what you want anyone whose pallet is atuned to a drop of good beer will go for a real ale every time and leave the inferior stuff to the boys and leave the propper beer to us hardend men :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Have any of you been to a CAMRA Meeting?
I was given some free* tickets a few years ago. These entitled you to so many glasses of free grog.
I went with Maj. Woodthorpe and the Reverend Morley, good friends and always ready for a P**s-up.
We got there and there were loads of Beardies all wandering around muttering about how the Old Scrotum's Very Peculiar had a cheesy smell and that the Clack Meister seemed to smell of old fish.
Most of them looked like they should have been allowed out without their Keepers. There was a constant thud at the doorway as more of them were rolled of the back of vehicles and they were released from their travelling sacks.
Fortunately, we found something brewed by a particularly alcoholic order of Belgian monks and slipped into oblivion after a few pints :D

* Remember "Free" is good and "That will be £20 Sir" is bad.
Very good:D
I have never been to a CAMRA meeting in my life, let alone be a member. I do however look at a copy of the good beer guide when in a new area as it tends to describe the pubs as well as the beer.....
I agree going to a camra meeting must be as bad an anorac activity as I could imagine. So sorry ballo you have the better of me there However I do like a decent pint of a REAL ALE, as the differences you can get in just one decent pub make aworld of a difference to the Smooth flow extra cold extra yuk muck.
Oh I do however have a beard ....... so you can all have a giggle over that.:p:p;):)

yes i may well smell of smoke as you say but that is my choice, but as for in the minority well there are usualy more people stood at the door in my local smoking than sat at the bar drinking. as for a non smoker not spending too much time in my company that can be a godsend as they are usualy annoying me by telling me how anti social i am and how much i stink and the ones that are the worst are the ex smokers. there are many things that annoy me like the drunkards that want to start trouble and chuck up all over the streets and that keep decent people out of the pubs and restaurants on a night for fear of mindless violence, why wont our government do anything about that anti social behavior i am shure the majorit of the public would rather sit near a smoker than a loutish drunkard .
NO its not smoke you smell of. If you ever give up and of course that's your choice , then if you meet some one who smokes or worse wake up beside them and then smell it you will know what I am on about. It';s like your exhaling liquid sh*t ...honest , that's what it smells like. If it was just smoke I could handle it.
As for all out side the pub ...well you used to all be in side it. Why do you think none smokers did not go inside? Having to pass through smokers on the way to any pub is still bad enough.
At the same time I do not agree with the ban, in Pubs. It was better that's where you all were and I did not have to go in. Now your all in the open and that's far worse as far as I am concerned.
No personal vendetta . But you said about smokers being more social....you got a reply my friend.

Yer I be an Ex smoker too. I got a right to preach about it as I am sure if you ever do give up you would be the same and thank me too. You just cant handle the fact that others have managed to give up and you have not . Cause I bet you would like to give up , not met anyone yet who has not!

I can see the argument from both smokers and non smokers, as i used to smoke heavy but i'm always giving up for a few months then going back to it.
Non smokers should not have to breath smoke from smokers, but i still believe there should be a choice of smoking and non smoking pubs.
Everyone would then be happy.

I can see the argument from both smokers and non smokers, as i used to smoke heavy but i'm always giving up for a few months then going back to it.
Non smokers should not have to breath smoke from smokers, but i still believe there should be a choice of smoking and non smoking pubs.
Everyone would then be happy.

Jeff, I think what you are saying is actually evolving, as the outside areas are becoming more and more (indoor) as more sophisticated (outdoor) areas complete with heating roofing 3/4 pannelling with 1/4 glazing carpeting etc, is this not the entrepurial British getting around a problem......:rolleyes: within the law, and then won't we all be happy:):)

Jeff, I think what you are saying is actually evolving, as the outside areas are becoming more and more (indoor) as more sophisticated (outdoor) areas complete with heating roofing 3/4 pannelling with 1/4 glazing carpeting etc, is this not the entrepurial British getting around a problem......:rolleyes: within the law, and then won't we all be happy:):)

The only problem as i see it though Rick, is that pubs are dying on there ass and seem to have been since the smoking ban came in.
I guess there will never be smoking pubs now, so whatever happens and how ever many pubs go bust will just be a fact of life.
I used to really enjoy going out for a pint in the week, but now it is so dead its just not enjoyable anymore.

The only problem as i see it though Rick, is that pubs are dying on there ass and seem to have been since the smoking ban came in.
I guess there will never be smoking pubs now, so whatever happens and how ever many pubs go bust will just be a fact of life.
I used to really enjoy going out for a pint in the week, but now it is so dead its just not enjoyable anymore.

Are you a smoker? because my local, when I used to go to it before the ban, I used to have to strip off at the door and hang my clothes on a hanger outside as it was like an opium den in there:( but now it is still busy, with the same formula of footy on the t.v. and regular bands and a good smokers area. maybe thats the secret......... i also think that the writing was on the wall when you could get 40 bottles of stella in a supermarket for £16 BUT YOU PAID £2.60:eek: for a bottle in a pub.

Are you a smoker? because my local, when I used to go to it before the ban, I used to have to strip off at the door and hang my clothes on a hanger outside as it was like an opium den in there:( but now it is still busy, with the same formula of footy on the t.v. and regular bands and a good smokers area. maybe thats the secret......... i also think that the writing was on the wall when you could get 40 bottles of stella in a supermarket for £16 BUT YOU PAID £2.60:eek: for a bottle in a pub.

Supermarkets were doing cheap drink for many years before the smoking ban, but its only since the ban that pubs have been suffering.
I dont actually smoke at the moment, but as i say i've gone back to it many times. So i can see both sides.
But anyone that doesn't believe its the smoking ban that has caused the deline in pub trade is blinkered to the fact that hundreds of pubs are shutting every month.

I think Ziderman is a bit paranoid when it comes to smokers. I do not mean it in an offensive way. As he has admitted himself he used to be a one time smoker. I am a non drinker, not a drop has touched my lips for 66 years. I go daily into a pub because I love playing pool. I admit I hate the smell of booze, but I accept it. The reason I accept it, is because we are a free people. I talk with people and their breath makes me feel slightly ill. Point I am trying to make, I have a choice to walk away or converse. A little bit of understanding does not cost anything. It is brilliant he does not smoke anymore. There are some who wish to give up but cannot do, some have greater will power as others. Respect peoples choices in life, no two persons are the same, that what makes the world go round. Live and let live.

I think Ziderman is a bit paranoid when it comes to smokers. I do not mean it in an offensive way. As he has admitted himself he used to be a one time smoker. I am a non drinker, not a drop has touched my lips for 66 years. I go daily into a pub because I love playing pool. I admit I hate the smell of booze, but I accept it. The reason I acceptit, is because we are a free people. I talk with people and their breath makes me feel slightly ill. Point I am trying to make, I have a choice to walk away or converse. A little bit of understanding does not cost anything. It is brilliant he does not smoke anymore. There are some who wish to give up but cannot do, some have greater will power as others. Respect peoples choices in life, no two persons are the same, that what makes the world go round. Live and let live.

That's like I said , I don't go near smokers I don't like it , it's my choice to avoid them. What's paranoid about that? I fart and others don't like it , they walk away. It's there choice. Don't make them paranoid doses it?

Why all the bull about choice ...world go around ....because we are free.?????..ZZZZZZZ!
Up until I got a motor home I hated them , being a motor cyclist , coming up behind dodders doing 15mph all the time, hate caravans even more.....!

You say you don't drink no more? I reckon you do. I mean what the heck does "acceptit" mean. Check your post LOL

In for a rollicking for speaking my mind I guess. Hey ho !

I am a ex smoker and have been for the lasy 22 years:D

But I must admit after a heavy night drinking and smoking, in the morning
my hair -pillow - clothes all smelt and my mom used to go ape :eek:

But that is what it was all about perhaps in them days and have no regrets of my youth life style:D
however I am glad I have given up and it was very hard to do nicotine is
hard to kick your body must love it just like some people have choc addiction no smell bit cheaper but you get fat:eek:

But to be honest some times I would love a fag may be because it
reminds me of the youth times :D:D but as a EX smoker I think we are the worst in the argument factor, actually I have resisted to post on this subject until now simply because there is choices we make and others may not like.
I am like Guinness I am not bitter lol

Custard creams...

Custard creams...biscuits I still cannot keep anything like that in the house even after all this time.
I mean it's been 2 days now since I gave up. TIC;)

well its a well known fact that nicotine addiction is harder to kick than heroin addiction . i gave up smoking years ago that lasted 5 years and i still wanted a ciggy, so i gave in and succumbed to my inner self and started again and never looked back .

Yes, thinking about kicking the habit myself:rolleyes::cool:, I,m sure It,s stunting my growth:eek::p:D

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back