Smokers in the minority

No one has the right to put other peoples health at risk, banning smoking in enclosed public spaces is about the best thing the british government has done in years. I used to smoke and in general when i did i took other people in to account when i chose where to smoke, drinkers have a choice now for the short time it takes to have a ciggy what harm does it do to go out in the cold? (less than the ciggy) I have emphysema even though i only smoked for a short period and not huge amounts, it is possible for people to have developed cancers and other lung diseases from passive smoking, if you want to smoke it is your choice but be considerate of others please.

as for letting some pubs be smoking and others not seems a bit unfair either total ban or not ,it dont bother me about not smoking in a pub the only thing is i hate the government and other do gooders telling me what is good for me and what is bad and then forcing me to abide by there rules. (and then allowing smoking in there bar in the house of commons):mad:. i know the risks and accept them ,as for passive smoking ok there may be some truth in it being detrimental so it may be a good thing to keep non smokers free from smoke and also to make them not do anything to pollute the atmosphere like thay say we do with our cig smoke

Smoking

As an ex-publican I know how much harm the smoking ban has done to the industry. It would have been quite simple to return to smoke rooms, food pubs could also retain the ban. Pubs solely relying on drink as sole sales were in dire trouble anyway, the smoking ban was the 'final nail'. The pubs that make the 'big bucks' are run by managers, the ones losing money or barely making a profit are farmed to tenants. Today pubs are closing in their hundreds, all that will be left a few for posh dudes boring themselves silly over the rubbish 'real ales'. The rest of us can smoke and drink ourselves to death by whatever means. By the new info released we will be 90% obese by mid century, for the poorest amongst us our life expectancy is dropping all the time. If the recession gets as bad as it seems, some of us we be living perminantly in our vans!

As an ex-publican I know how much harm the smoking ban has done to the industry. ---- all that will be left a few for posh dudes boring themselves silly over the rubbish 'real ales'. QUOTE]

I like my beer with bits of vegetable matter and dead insects in it.
It was yet another "con" by big business to foist "lager" beers on the poor old Brits. Lagers are very much cheaper to produce and do not need the care that the so-called "real ales" do. None of the "keg" delivered beers do apart from keeping the lines clean.

I'm just waiting for Brussels to insist that we do not use the amount of chemical contaminants that the UK is allowed at present. The Brewing industry in Euroland is certainly not allowed to use them.

I am not going to argue the pros and cons of the smoking ban. There is little doubt that passive smoking is probably as, if not more, dangerous than smoking.

I would have thought that decent extractors fans pulling the air away from the bar areas would not have been difficult to engineer and then to ban smoking at the Bar itself would have solved the problem.

I am a light smoker, although always careful about where I light up.

I almost never visit pubs being a non drinker, but was amazed recently when I visited a local pub .........at the smell :eek:

It absolutely stunk of stale ale, cheap perfume and god knows what else, do they all smell awful now smoking has stopped. It will be an awful long time before I venture into another.

I almost never visit pubs being a non drinker, but was amazed recently when I visited a local pub .........at the smell :eek:
---
It absolutely stunk of stale ale, cheap perfume and god knows what else, do they all smell awful now smoking has stopped. .

You forgot sweat or perhaps you're too polite? I am not and will mention it for you :D

As an ex-publican I know how much harm the smoking ban has done to the industry. It would have been quite simple to return to smoke rooms, food pubs could also retain the ban. Pubs solely relying on drink as sole sales were in dire trouble anyway, the smoking ban was the 'final nail'. The pubs that make the 'big bucks' are run by managers, the ones losing money or barely making a profit are farmed to tenants. Today pubs are closing in their hundreds, all that will be left a few for posh dudes boring themselves silly over the rubbish 'real ales'. The rest of us can smoke and drink ourselves to death by whatever means. By the new info released we will be 90% obese by mid century, for the poorest amongst us our life expectancy is dropping all the time. If the recession gets as bad as it seems, some of us we be living perminantly in our vans!

Well if you ran a pub that did't sell REAL ALE, then I for one would have walked straight back out as I do now when finding myself only given the choice of, over chilled, pasturised, fized up, sterile puke that the young seem to accept as beer. Ales used to be brewed at the back of the pub and I for one salute the return of the Micro brewery, long may they prosper ..... That is if you can run the gauntlet of the smokers huddled six deep at the door and all their smoke blowing back into the pub;)

Real Ale

'It was yet another "con" by big business to foist "lager" beers on the poor old Brits. Lagers are very much cheaper to produce and do not need the care that the so-called "real ales" do. None of the "keg" delivered beers do apart from keeping the lines clean'.

My brewery produced a full range of 'real beers', Gales HSB being the more famous one, the joke was they used the same machines to produce their range of ales. So the claims they are something special always amused us in the know. The brewers all come from the same Universty in Scotland, so all British Brewery's have the technical staff trained from the same place. All the beers in Gales used the basic ingredients, the so called technician adjusted the ingredients to whatever beer required. The only difference to between real ale and ordinary beers was the pump arrangement, one used CO2 and the other a simple hand pump.

The main difference between 'real ales' was the normal is the alcohol content. The other joke is the claims that beer was stronger in the past than today which is total rubbish, years ago alcohol levels were as today were taxed so beers were always weak, why people could claim the drank 10 pints and still stand.

The modern beers, are chilled, customers prefer it and CO2 is not injected into the beer but propelled by it. Real Ale in casks have a very limited life and the famous head is produced by the pump method and nozzle, normal beers have longer life and more controllable by the propellant and nozzle. Both can be altered to produce whatever your customers enjoy.

Mild and real ales styles of the past could and was recycled by the publican from the sloops. No doubt it goes on today in pure 'real ale' pubs as this can only be done with cask system as little profit is being made these days!

Beer

'It was yet another "con" by big business to foist "lager" beers on the poor old Brits. Lagers are very much cheaper to produce and do not need the care that the so-called "real ales" do. None of the "keg" delivered beers do apart from keeping the lines clean'.

My brewery produced a full range of 'real beers', Gales HSB being the more famous one, the joke was they used the same machines to produce their range of ales. So the claims they are something special always amused us in the know. The brewers all come from the same Universty in Scotland, so all British Brewery's have the technical staff trained from the same place. All the beers in Gales used the basic ingredients, the so called technician adjusted the ingredients to whatever beer required. The only difference to between real ale and ordinary beers was the pump arrangement, one used CO2 and the other a simple hand pump.

The main difference between 'real ales' was the normal is the alcohol content. The other joke is the claims that beer was stronger in the past than today which is total rubbish, years ago alcohol levels were as today were taxed so beers were always weak, why people could claim the drank 10 pints and still stand.

The modern beers, are chilled, customers prefer it and CO2 is not injected into the beer but propelled by it. Real Ale in casks have a very limited life and the famous head is produced by the pump method and nozzle, normal beers have longer life and more controllable by the propellant and nozzle. Both can be altered to produce whatever your customers enjoy.

Mild and real ales styles of the past could and was recycled by the publican from the sloops. No doubt it goes on todayin pure 'real ale' pubs as this can only be done with cask system as little profit is being made these days!

Have a real beer, with a 'collar' (not Stella:eek:): welcome to Belgium ! :confused::D:D
Santé LOL

R.i.p

no we are good people and we enjoy the finer things in life :D like nicotine, alcohol have you noticed lately how all the nice things in life are bad for you like booze cigs and a dam good fry up, its a wonder they havent put a bit o slap an tickle on the bad for you list :eek::eek::D:D
You sound like my good friend who died recently aged 97 years. He only stopped smoking after his ashes cooled. R.I.P

So you wont be wanting a bottle of my San Miguel:D:D

Yes please *****, In the summer I have been known to indulge in the better brands of Lager, even from the pump..
However the reintroduction of keg bitter by the Major Breweries, by the back door.... Smooth flow....... extra smooth......... extra cold..... is just a con to keep their sub standard offerings for sale as they last a lot longer than a cask conditioned beer, which has hops in the barrel and has to stand after delivery to settle as it is still a live product.
Keg P**s, is pasturised and has an unlimited (within reason) sell life, so is ideal for the seldom used pump and is about as tasty as a bottle of Soda water.

all bow and pay hommage to real ales, wetherspoons have had a real ale festivle again, and it has been very nice hic hic :D:D sampling the different types they have on offer all at £1.45 per pint.usualy when i go in there i only drink abbot anyway. you cannot beat real ales better than any other beers that is if you are grown up enough to be able not to be able to get drunk on a few wine gums and a sniff at the barmaids pinnie :D: as for lager groooooo it was always classed as a drink for the ladies:p:p that when men were men :D:D in fact all this talk about real ales has wet my whistle i think i am orf for a wee sample now :D:D: see you all later :cool::cool oops reached my limit of smilies big grin. eek .

Mandrakes right :p all this talk of drink has even forced me to open a bottle of wine:rolleyes:,but getting back to the origional point,"Smoking"

About 3 years ago me and Christine decided it was time to give it up for obvious reasons, so we joined a Quit smoking scheme where we went along and did a breath test which showed the amount of carbon monoxide in the lungs:eek:, mine read 24 and Christines was 21, we both received free nicotine replacement patches on a weekly basis, after about 4 weeks visiting the centre our co2. readings were down to zero and with a lot of praise and encouragement from the volunteers involved we thought we had cracked it, however on the sixth and final week when we were due to receive our gold stars for success my breath test read "7":eek::confused:, and I swear I never touched a ciggy:mad:, they were disapointed in me,Christine didnt believe me and I felt like a leper, I put it down to the fact that I had to queue outside for 20 minutes on a main road with constant heavy traffic flowing before entering the centre taking in all the traffic fumes.
Now , for all of you who think that the smoking ban and the passive smoking is a thing of the past,then you will need to stay away from busy town centres and waiting for a bus could have the same affect

I never understood why the the smoking ban was applied to pubs.

If people want to smoke, surely they know the risk by now. If they choose to work in or frequent smoke filled areas then the risk of passive smoking has been well publicised. provided that theres a smoke free area so people have an option then I don't see that there was a problem.

I dont smoke, haven't done since I was 19,
If I went into a pub and it was too smokey for my liking I'd go somewhere else, no problem, there were plenty of pubs about.

Since then the government have decided that we can't be trusted to make our own decisions.

Now theres no smoke in the pubs, but theres no atmosphere either and not many other pubs to go to. Theme pubs , disco pubs, mock Irish pubs, (mega brewerys telling us what we should like).
Should I just stay in the house and sulk?;)

They're already telling me how selfish I am in driving a gas guzzling heavy diesel campervan around so it's only fair that they should punish me by increasing road duty (I'm all but banned from London due to my inconsiderate behaviour).

But hey! I breath clean air and drink very little alcohol and the government now tell me so long as I avoid lots of food containing additives, dairy, sugar or wheat, and eat my greens, oh yes and do exercises :mad:then I could live well till I die, of boredom.:confused:

I'm off to build some more of my van:p

lenny WINE !! just back now here goes:D:D had a pint of woodfords norfolk nog a smooth, rich and rounded old ale a velvity texture hints of chocolate,treacle and liquorice emerging, the brewery was named after parson woodforde a noted norfolk clergyman (god bless you my son) at 4.5 abv . and a pint of titanic iron curtain, deep rich burnt flavour compliments the biscuty malt character balanced by a large quantity of hops, at 6.0 abv . god bless those russians . also called at our local pizza house buy one get one free if you are cheeky enough you get a garlic bread in place of the second pizza ( i am he. he. ) a chicken and mushroom pizza and garlic bread and chips all for 8 quidish including the beer . not bad... more than likely die of over indulgence at a young age now:eek::D:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I never understood why the the smoking ban was applied to pubs.

If people want to smoke, surely they know the risk by now. If they choose to work in or frequent smoke filled areas then the risk of passive smoking has been well publicised. provided that theres a smoke free area so people have an option then I don't see that there was a problem.

I dont smoke, haven't done since I was 19,
If I went into a pub and it was too smokey for my liking I'd go somewhere else, no problem, there were plenty of pubs about.

Since then the government have decided that we can't be trusted to make our own decisions.

Now theres no smoke in the pubs, but theres no atmosphere either and not many other pubs to go to. Theme pubs , disco pubs, mock Irish pubs, (mega brewerys telling us what we should like).
Should I just stay in the house and sulk?;)

They're already telling me how selfish I am in driving a gas guzzling heavy diesel campervan around so it's only fair that they should punish me by increasing road duty (I'm all but banned from London due to my inconsiderate behaviour).

But hey! I breath clean air and drink very little alcohol and the government now tell me so long as I avoid lots of food containing additives, dairy, sugar or wheat, and eat my greens, oh yes and do exercises :mad:then I could live well till I die, of boredom.:confused:

I'm off to build some more of my van:p

an old saying give up smoking ,, alcohol, fatty foods, fried foods, will i live to see 90 NO BUT IT WILL JUST FEEL LIKE IT

lenny WINE !! just back now here goes:D:D had a pint of woodfords norfolk nog a smooth, rich and rounded old ale a velvity texture hints of chocolate,treacle and liquorice emerging, the brewery was named after parson woodforde a noted norfolk clergyman (god bless you my son) at 4.5 abv . and a pint of titanic iron curtain, deep rich burnt flavour compliments the biscuty malt character balanced by a large quantity of hops, at 6.0 abv . god bless those russians . also called at our local pizza house buy one get one free if you are cheeky enough you get a garlic bread in place of the second pizza ( i am he. he. ) a chicken and mushroom pizza and garlic bread and chips all for 8 quidish including the beer . not bad... more than likely die of over indulgence at a young age now:eek::D:D

Behave yourself Graham:eek:, with a diet like that you,ll end up with a physique like Pavarottie:eek::D:p

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back