Single female

From the BBC this morning:

You cannot stay overnight anywhere outside your main residence unless you have a "reasonable excuse" for doing so, such as visiting your support bubble.
This includes a second home, caravan or boat, if it isn't where you normally live.

In other words the situation is do not travel and stay at home. It's pretty clear surely?

B2
You misunderstand me.
I'm planning ahead.
given that when the gates open there will be a free for all as all and sundry book every B&B in a heartbeat. And with supply diminished through business collapse I am thinking availability will quickly be outstripped by demand. Consider all the folk too fearful to fly added to travel restrictions/inconveniences brought about by Brexit etc etc.
so I seek solutions in advance.
I'm am not for one moment suggesting travelling now. Quite apart from lockdown it's too flipping cold lol

Last edited:
This is a very interesting thread it’s all in the title and reminiscent of one a few years back when Delica Girl did one of her first posts and some read Delicious Girl and a title like Single Girl . 😂😂😂😂😂 well this thread could go on for weeks your doing great Catchic 👍 in a Vodka drinker myself though I have drunk some whiskey at the Scottish meets when some up there bring out their special bottles describing it as nectar of the gods specially when Hotrats Jim gets his Black bottle out. 👍
I figured if I wanted input I needed to make it interesting? Much like a boss I had once used to head up her emails with "free chocolate"

to be honest I didn't really give it much thought, other than thinking the title "lone traveller" would come across as lonely/needy or antisocial? And it's my femininity and being by myself that makes me feel vulnerable? So the title was factually relevant.
Oh
I see my error. Punctuation was never my strong point. Single, female. No that isn't any better is it?😂

Last edited:
You’re certainly not coming over as ‘Needy,Lonely OR Antisocial’ Just someone that’s asking all the right questions to be prepared.
BTW
Have you got or rather Do you travel with a Cat ?
How long do you in visage stints away in your van at a time ?

You’re certainly not coming over as ‘Needy,Lonely OR Antisocial’ Just someone that’s asking all the right questions to be prepared.
BTW
Have you got or rather Do you travel with a Cat ?
How long do you in visage stints away in your van at a time ?
No cat. But a feisty dog.
The Ritz it's not. So a couple of nights. But figure I can extend by trying for a B&B every couple of days to stretch it out? If I can get in anywhere? Or travel via accommodating friends with spare rooms. I'm lucky in having dear ones in far flung corners so that's entirely doable. Just wouldn't foist myself on them for more than a night or two.
by my reckoning I could contrive a fortnights holiday by taking one route up country and another down. And a few hiking short breaks to explore the natural wonders, out of reasonable distance.

I figured if I wanted input I needed to make it interesting? Much like a boss I had once used to head up her emails with "free chocolate"

to be honest I didn't really give it much thought, other than thinking the title "lone traveller" would come across as lonely/needy or antisocial? And it's my femininity and being by myself that makes me feel vulnerable? So the title was factually relevant.
Oh
I see my error. Punctuation was never my strong point. Single, female. No that isn't any better is it?😂
You’ll fit in here really well 😂😂

Oscar Wilde: 'conversation about the weather is the last refuge of the unimaginative.'

But everybody has 'weather', and it's an easy way to remind us of our shared humanity (without being controversial !) (y)

Hence why the weather thread grew even longer when the black hole disappeared.... 😜;)😎
Or if we run out of things to talk about there is always the "Toilet" thread that seems to go on and on!

They will when he starts to lick them lol.
yes I've already picked up some good points, parking facing the exits alarm and radio are good ones. And listening to my gut. I like the alternate place idea; move on if feeling uncertain.
So armed wuth sound advice it's a question of researching places to go and waiting fir the lockdowns to end.
whilst a pepper spray may be considered to be an offensive weapon, if you just "happen" to have a domestic spray bottle like a surface cleaner, that "happens" to contain a bleach product............

whilst a pepper spray may be considered to be an offensive weapon, if you just "happen" to have a domestic spray bottle like a surface cleaner, that "happens" to contain a bleach product............
.......you might happen to end up in court facing ABH/GBH charges 🤷‍♂️

Good morning all

I've tried to search threads but technically challenged so apologies if it's been said before....
Like everyone I'm itching to get on the road. I have some concerns though. My van is basic and multitasks as work vehicle, so I will be looking to go to pubs and friends. I had a trial run on the farm my cousin lives on and loved it. I parked a fair way from his cottage but in truth was in a gated community equivalent. I plan to visit a friend in Blackpool and use her driveway as my next venture to build my confidence. When we are allowed. The thing that bothers me, though is my being alone. If I was 6' and built like Mike Tyson might be more confident but I just have a nagging fear around my vulnerability. Yes I can lock myself in and so feel safer than if I were in a tent. And I have a terrier who, although not a killing machine would certainly alert me to movements outside. However I can't quite shift the sensation of: am I safe?
Are any of you able to offer some words of wisdom, anything I should consider or things I can do to overcome this niggling anxiety? I desperately want to explore the Lake District and national parks but can't lift my underlying fear? I veer from powerhouse of bold, rebellious "I can do this" to "eeek"
Any suggestions/advice?
When we started using our campervan we had similar fears. We started by only going to campsites surrounded by other campers, and never had any trouble In the uk, France or Spain. After a year or two we started wild camping, in as godforsaken places as we could. Still no problems. We have gone about 8 years of wild camping now and have still to have a problem.
You just have to use a bit of common sense - wild camping locations can be dogging sites (we found one near Farnham by mistake, voyeurs wouldn’t go away!), overnight lorry parks with bushes used by drivers to defecate, drug dealers pitches, youth meeting places, lovers parking places, motor bike gang meet-ups etc. It may not be obvious until evening that things are going to kick off, after you have had a drink and cannot move on. But even then it’s only a noise issue usually.
If you use sites recommended by wildcamping, ********* and similar web sites you tend to get one or two other campervans there and feel safety in numbers. Campervanners tend to be a friendly lot and can easily be consulted for reassurance.

.......you might happen to end up in court facing ABH/GBH charges 🤷‍♂️

... stretching it!

I seriously doubt if catchic, myself or any other single females travelling alone would end up with such a nonsensical charge if we were unfortunate enough to find ourselves in that position. How many times has such a situation arisen, does anybody know? I've never heard of any.

If I was a single female on my own and someone broke into my van in the middle of the night, I wouldn't hesitate to use whatever was at hand.
That's if I could even manage a fast enough reaction to a 'developing' situation, which is the first pertinent question!
In all honesty I don't know how I would react. I might end up frozen with fear...

So if I was minded, and quick off the mark, to use a spray can with whatever in it that happened to be at hand, I would use it first and ask any questions later.

Anyway, I'd rather be still alive and in court being prosecuted than dead or injured at the hand of some lowlife scum who has deliberately broken into my place of residence with criminal intent! 😜 😡

However, just for the record, I have never felt the need to carry any kind of 'defensive weapon' while sleeping away in the van 👍 😊

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/self-defence-and-prevention-crime

Last edited:
... stretching it!

I seriously doubt if catchic, myself or any other single females travelling alone would end up with such a nonsensical charge if we were unfortunate enough to find ourselves in that position. How many times has such a situation arisen, does anybody know? I've never heard of any.

However, just for the record, I have never felt the need to carry any kind of 'defensive weapon' while sleeping away in the van 👍

Now we haven't had a gassing thread for a while so what would be the reaction of kitchen spray on a gas filled MH 😷 :unsure: 🤪 😂 😂 😂 😷

Finally! A benefit from the Rona! I happen to have about my person a vast amount of antiviral disinfectant, ready to dispense from continuous spray bottles. What could be more natural than dosing any intruder seeking to come within 2 meters of my person? Which basically crossing the threshold would more or less equate to. 🤪😂🤣

Seriously though the more I've read of the comments on here the less I think I need worry.From a probability perspective, given the combined amount of nights you lot have all spent in isolated locations and the fact that none of you have reported frightening occurrences worthy of big concerns, I'd say the risk is minimal.
or
Wait?
Perhaps the opposite?
Oh no! And I was doing so well, too.

... stretching it!

If I was a single female on my own and someone broke into my van in the middle of the night, I wouldn't hesitate to use whatever was at hand.
That's if I could even manage a fast enough reaction to a 'developing' situation, which is the first pertinent question!
In all honesty I don't know how I would react. I might end up frozen with fear...

So if I was minded, and quick off the mark, to use a spray can with whatever in it that happened to be at hand, I would use it first and ask any questions later.

Anyway, I'd rather be still alive and in court being prosecuted than dead or injured at the hand of some lowlife scum who has deliberately broken into my place of residence with criminal intent! 😜 😡

However, just for the record, I have never felt the need to carry any kind of 'defensive weapon' while sleeping away in the van 👍 😊

I agree, slight crossed wires I think, the post was advising to have a spray bottle with bleach in it as protection and not using 'whatever was at hand'. I wouldn't put it past the type of person that got the face full of spray to go to court in the event of sight damage/loss and then you are in the situation of sticking to your false story or admitting it was there as a home made pepper spray.

You are not married to Maggy though are you, I had to buy new PJ's
joustingg.jpg

It’s the younger Fox & Fox Cubs playing & Thumping Around underneath your van The Snuffling & Squeaking of the Hedgehogs Around you’re Tyers if you’re parked up on their usual run, Squirrels trying to use your Bonnet or Roof as a Perch to take a Breather from scurrying, The early morning Thud & Tap Tap Tap Tap On the Roof by heavy footed Crows & Pigeons, The Stench of Disregarded Fish by Otters & the momentary confusion of trying to work out why you vehicle is shaking only to find out it’s a Cow scratching it’s Arse on the corner of it that will be more common a problem than having any ‘Trouble’ from Humans at your park up I will wager !.
& YES have had ALL the above,

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back