Short Sighted Blinkered National Trust

Fazerloz

I bet not many from the top go.
They would cut their own throats to spite their face/
"Director-General Hilary McGrady shared with staff and volunteers: ‘It’s with huge regret that I am telling you today about the need to cut jobs. The Trust’s strength is its people. Our charity has survived so long – through two world wars and a number of economic downturns, thanks to staff, volunteers and supporters. We would not be making these savings had we not exhausted every other possibility. We need to act now to ensure we are sustainable in the future.’
https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/news/our-spending-cut-plans-in-response-to-coronavirus-losses"

A couple of years ago I read that they had nearly a billion in reserves. A fair amount invested in oil and mining...
But I daren't start on the NT BA for my blood pressure...

The NT are not a charity !
They are a money making organisation but maybe they get charity tax breaks ?
A shame and the name is a misnomer IMO.
They own a vast amount of land and have been known to be very hard on "Tenant Farmers"... Just like previous Rich Lord landowners.
Just my thoughts !
Ps C of E and RC religions similar.

A couple of years ago I read that they had nearly a billion in reserves. A fair amount invested in oil and mining...
But I daren't start on the NT BA for my blood pressure...
Controversial but I have always had an issue with the amount of volunteers the NT uses. I was aware of their funds and I understand why people volunteer, but the roles, especially the physical ones (not a history buff doing tours of a stately home) on the estates should be paid jobs

Controversial but I have always had an issue with the amount of volunteers the NT uses. I was aware of their funds and I understand why people volunteer, but the roles, especially the physical ones (not a history buff doing tours of a stately home) on the estates should be paid jobs
Why is one more deserving of pay than the other.

Perhaps things are not as straightforward as we might think . As an example when mum died we wanted to spread ashes under a sponsored lime tree in clumber park. We were told we couldn’t policy was dictated by English heritage as the site was sss despite 100% branded national trust no English heritage signage anywherei ... in the end did it anyway and a blind eye was turned,,but apparently they would need to seek permission on an individual basis

How much this would impact on overnight stays in car parks truthfully have no idea but forces in the background my point nt clearly don’t have 100 % autonomy

clumber would be a problem I suspect as a cmc site is within the grounds but overall as an organisation they do appear to be missing an opportunity which raises some income rather than nowt at all

Perhaps things are not as straightforward as we might think . As an example when mum died we wanted to spread ashes under a sponsored lime tree in clumber park. We were told we couldn’t policy was dictated by English heritage as the site was sss despite 100% branded national trust no English heritage signage anywherei ... in the end did it anyway and a blind eye was turned,,but apparently they would need to seek permission on an individual basis

GF as a (ex) Head Gardener at well known garden open to the public hated people spreading ashes without permission, she would often find herself hands deep in someone's ashes.
p.s. English Heritage dictate to a lot of places what they can and can't do, but you won't find any signs, just a lot of frustrated gardeners being told by some 'outsider' what to do.

The Spade Factory in NI allowed overnighting. Might have charged a fiver. Great place with nice people...

Last edited:
dd
GF as a (ex) Head Gardener at well known garden open to the public hated people spreading ashes without permission, she would often find herself hands deep in someone's ashes.
p.s. English Heritage dictate to a lot of places what they can and can't do, but you won't find any signs, just a lot of frustrated gardeners being told by some 'outsider' what to do.

Which is exactly why I asked permission, plus the fact happened to be my mother...the site in the park was not a garden as such but a lime tree sapling planted as part of stock replenishment.late 70s ....clumber park has lime tree avenue the longest collection of limes in Europe.

My mother aside, my point was really more that NTDont have 100 % autonomy as much as we think they might if personal experience is any barometer

Why is one more deserving of pay than the other.
What I had in mind was when at a Stately home you get a volunteer that's an enthusiast about that property, it's like a hobby to them. Using volunteers to repair a path is taking advantage in my opinion. I understand what your asking and hope the examples explains my thinking

Last edited:
What I had in mind was when at a Stately home you get a volunteer that's an enthusiast about that property, it's like a hobby to them. Using volunteers to repair a path is taking advantage in my opinion. I understand what your asking and hope the examples explains my thinking
A few years ago, my lad paid £180 for a week repairing NT paths in Kintail, but all bunkhouse accomodation and food was provided, he had a great time, and was a working holiday for him.

Really! Can you not see any other possible source of income. Do you work for the National Trust as they also say We would not be making these savings had we not exhausted every other possibility. Do you not think we as in MH users could be a small part of the answer.
Oh dear. The answer to every business problem. let motorhomes stay overnight. Of course they didn’t think of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few years ago, my lad paid £180 for a week repairing NT paths in Kintail, but all bunkhouse accomodation and food was provided, he had a great time, and was a working holiday for him.
I can well imagine it was enjoyable and to be honest it was something I would have done. I started thinking about the volunteer issue when as a professional gardener I wanted to work for an organisation such as NT or Woodland Trust, on doing research I found a large percentage of work was being done by volunteers and questioned whether this prevented people from being able to make a career in this sector, there were very few entry level jobs being advertised as the work was being done by volunteers

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back