Short Sighted Blinkered National Trust

We have parked for the day a few times in the overflow car park at Ickworth House in Suffolk. ( owned by NT) I’ve never known people parking overnight there, but last year we turned up late one afternoon and one of the volunteers on the gate implied that it would be ok to stay the night ( not that we did or intended to).
But last week, we saw that they have put on their website that overnight parking is prohibited.

We have parked for the day a few times in the overflow car park at Ickworth House in Suffolk. ( owned by NT) I’ve never known people parking overnight there, but last year we turned up late one afternoon and one of the volunteers on the gate implied that it would be ok to stay the night ( not that we did or intended to).
But last week, we saw that they have put on their website that overnight parking is prohibited.

Fair chance that's a response to covid and possibly cov-idiots? :unsure:
It's happening all over the place latterly.

Fair chance that's a response to covid and possibly cov-idiots? :unsure:
It's happening all over the place latterly.
Maybe, they allow motorhomes to park in the day but they’ve never been allowed officially to park overnight. Perhaps some have been staying the night, access to the car park areas is never usually locked.

The NT have a few C&MC C/L's at the stately homes. Stourhead and Kingston Lacey spring to mind. Their argument in most other places is security reasons.

Last edited:
Oh dear. The answer to every business problem. let motorhomes stay overnight. Of course they didn’t think of that.

Oh dear oh dear oh dear.! I did not say they were the answer i said "they could be a small part of the answer" there is a big difference. Get a few different "small parts" and they could be on the way to having the answer. Please do not try twist my words

I used to like going to the Farne Islands a lot until the National Trust over recent years ramped up the landing costs to a point at which families would struggle to afford it when taking into account parking, boat and fees. I dont mind paying a a bit more but it looked like greed to me.

Why are they called volunteers? My understanding of a volunteer is that you offer your services for free to a good cause. I never understood having to pay to volunteer. Fine if that’s what they want to do but rather hypocritical to call it volunteering

Why are they called volunteers? My understanding of a volunteer is that you offer your services for free to a good cause. I never understood having to pay to volunteer. Fine if that’s what they want to do but rather hypocritical to call it volunteering
We've done some volunteering on a NT/RSPB project, nothing to pay as we stayed in the van and provided our own supplies. AFAIK you only pay if you take up accommodation and/or food. We did two weeks full time, at the end we where given volunteers tickets which gave free access to NT properties and staff discounts.

What I hate most about the National Trust is it’s supposed to be for the people, but the amount they charge for membership is out of reach of many poverty line/low paid workers. Haven’t been a member for a few years, but found the (volunteer) staff at some of the places were getting rather stuffy, you would have thought they owned the places themselves, - not all I hasten to add, some went above and beyond to make your day enjoyable. Imho I think the NT is now too large an organisation, with their hand in too many pies.

What I hate most about the National Trust is it’s supposed to be for the people, but the amount they charge for membership is out of reach of many poverty line/low paid workers. Haven’t been a member for a few years, but found the (volunteer) staff at some of the places were getting rather stuffy, you would have thought they owned the places themselves, - not all I hasten to add, some went above and beyond to make your day enjoyable. Imho I think the NT is now too large an organisation, with their hand in too many pies.
Huh, too dear?? Take a look what EH charge to get 20 metres away from the stones! Costs should reflect maintenance cost not pay for a huge army of privileged folk and administrators. If something can’t generate enough money to maintain it the folk obviously don’t want it so sell it to someone who does.
The way things are going an aires network could make a significant amount of money for an organisation AND regenerate interest in property that struggles to pay its way.

Do you mind. I park in their car parks for free now. If they start charging for the House car parks , they'll start charging for the ones in the sticks next.
They charge £6+ for 4 hours parking at Brimham Rocks in North Yorkshire, which is out in the sticks.. Free if you're a member.. Pure robbery in my opinion! .

Huh, too dear?? Take a look what EH charge to get 20 metres away from the stones! Costs should reflect maintenance cost not pay for a huge army of privileged folk and administrators. If something can’t generate enough money to maintain it the folk obviously don’t want it so sell it to someone who does.
The way things are going an aires network could make a significant amount of money for an organisation AND regenerate interest in property that struggles to pay its way.

Whilst individual NT properties have high admission prices if you visit many each year membership works out to be very reasonable.
I had not realised that EH prices for Stonehenge were so outrageous. Link

Whilst individual NT properties have high admission prices if you visit many each year membership works out to be very reasonable.
I had not realised that EH prices for Stonehenge were so outrageous. Link
They justify the high cost as it pays for other properties that don’t bring in enough revenue. I imagine an awful lot of working families would struggle to go for a day out at the stones never mind any others.
Edit: but my original point was meant to show that @Fazerloz idea could have a lot of merit in raising funds and generating new interest possibly

went to Dyrham Park yesterday . you now have to book a timed slot , if you don't ''you will be turned away !'' we hadn't booked so we had breakfast in the car park and left . no problem . looked at their website , next timed slot is 2.00 pm tomorrow . don't know if i'll feel like it tomorrow. not their fault but i like to pop in on a whim and this may never be possible again . as for Stonehenge , as NT members we decide to try the ''experience ''a couple of years ago . got on a packed bus and went to their horrible visitor building , had a look round their ''museum '' most exhibits were copies or missing,hard to tell as the labels were difficult to see . then back to the stones to join a conga line of tourist zombies all plugged into headphones . very weird experience .

They charge £6+ for 4 hours parking at Brimham Rocks in North Yorkshire, which is out in the sticks.. Free if you're a member.. Pure robbery in my opinion! .
Free if you are a member, even with the NTfScotland, but there are hundreds of small car parks out in the sticks attached to NT land that aren't visited by anyone from the organisation. A lot of them on the POI list.

Part of the reason for high admission charges is to reduce the numbers of visitors.
A lot of EH properties are free to visit, but very quiet. Stonehenge has so many that they need to deter some.
Similarly, NT properties need the money more than they need the wear and tear of visitors.
I am not impressed by the NT's admin, but their high admission charges make good sense.

went to Dyrham Park yesterday . you now have to book a timed slot , if you don't ''you will be turned away !'' we hadn't booked so we had breakfast in the car park and left . no problem . looked at their website , next timed slot is 2.00 pm tomorrow . don't know if i'll feel like it tomorrow. not their fault but i like to pop in on a whim and this may never be possible again . as for Stonehenge , as NT members we decide to try the ''experience ''a couple of years ago . got on a packed bus and went to their horrible visitor building , had a look round their ''museum '' most exhibits were copies or missing,hard to tell as the labels were difficult to see . then back to the stones to join a conga line of tourist zombies all plugged into headphones . very weird experience .

A sign of the times, I had to make an appointment a week in advance to use the local tip this week with strict instructions not to arrive early or late, and if I was in the wrong car I would be hung, drawn and quartered and my head placed on a spike at the entrance as a warning to others. (well that's how I remember it)[/QUOTE]

Actually what I said was it’s out of the reach of many poverty line/low income families, and as it’s an organisation that’s meant to be for the people (not just those who can afford), then I stand by that. Personally as it’s supposedly a non profit organisation, I don’t agree with them charging higher entry fees and then going out and purchasing more properties especially with their huge surplus of reserves, it’s properties are then only accessible to those with disposable income. They no longer charge what they NEED to but what they can get away with. ☹️

as it’s an organisation that’s meant to be for the people (not just those who can afford)
Is it?
Their website says "English Heritage cares for over 400 historic monuments, buildings and places - from world-famous prehistoric sites to grand medieval castles, from Roman forts on the edges of an empire to a Cold War bunker."
No mention of caring for people, rich or poor.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back