Selling motorhome via an Auction house ?

jagmanx

1 has anyone done this . If so I would appreciate details please (pm)
2 advantages..you simply drop it off and hopefully sold.
Money guaranteed
3 disadvantages,
Price do you set a reserve.
If not you could get a ridiculously low price.
Any other auction houses ap.art from BCA

Motorhomes are selling so well at the moment that there is no need to sell through an auction
Unless there is something seriously wrong with it.
Which is what will go through most buyers minds.
Also most buyers are car or van dealers so will not have a clue how much motorhomes are fetching at the moment
And by the time all the prospective buyers and just the nosey people have gone through it there will be bits missing and other bits broken.
Unless there is something majorly wrong with it I wouldn’t do it

Last edited:
Motorhomes are selling so well at the moment that their is no need to sell through an auction
Unless there is something seriously wrong with it.
Which is what will go through most buys minds,
Also most buyers are car or van dealers so will not have a clue how much motorhomes are fetching at the moment
And by the time all the prospective buyers and just the nosey people have gone through it there will be bits missing and other bits broken.
Unless there is something majorly wrong with it I wouldn’t do it
I agree selling a Motorhome through an auction seems like a poor decision. I would look at auto trader, or even eBay, even on here. As you say I would only sell through an auction if there was a known problem with the van. I am trading in a 4 year old van later this year, and have been offered 95% what I paid for it new. If I sold private I would likely get what I paid for it. Motorhome prices are crazy right now, a great time to sell, a hard time to buy.

Last edited:
Motorhome Depot maybe worth a look
They charge a handsome commission and you still have to show the potential customer around and do the selling
They just take photos and do the description and post it on their website,
My auntie has hers with them at the moment advertised at £21,000 they will return my auntie £17,300 when it is sold.
It has been for sale with them for a while now, but had she advertised it herself for £19,000 it would have sold quicker and she would have more money for it

They charge a handsome commission and you still have to show the potential customer around and do the selling
They just take photos and do the description and post it on their website,
My auntie has hers with them at the moment advertised at £21,000 they will return my auntie £17,300 when it is sold.
It has been for sale with them for a while now, but had she advertised it herself for £19,000 it would have sold quicker and she would have more money for it
A shame for your Auntie.
21,000 down to £17,300 is a large difference.
If a dealer who keeps it on his forecourt etc ..then ok.
I will see what materializes. Not selling yet, unless....? (No details)

Why would anyone use such people to sell a Motorhome in todays market place. The MMM is awash with ads saying “WE WANT YOUR MOTORHOME”
Unless like me you are trading in and want the convenience of simply turning up leaving your old van and driving away with the new van I can see no reason why you would not sell it yourself. The only reason I can see anyone not doing so, is because they don’t want the hassle of folk coming round, having to store the van on your own property, and dealing with the chancers. It seems that you will still have to do all these things if you went to them.

One of my band sold in auto trader in days last week. I don’t know what they charge, but I doubt if it will be thousands. Why not try here, some on here are looking for vans. You never know.

Some have said they had good experiences with Motorhome Depot but as a buyer I stopped bothering with any ads through them as they were useless in terms of providing information about the vehicle. I am also a bit sceptical as to why someone would use them especially in this market. Auction house as said seems crazy in this market also.

Best thing to do I reckon is maybe use Ebay to do an advance search for your exact vehicle and see what they actually "sold" for. I often do this with other bits and pieces I sell. or maybe go 20% under what the dealers are offering them for.

All vehicles seem to be in demand now. Bikes, cars and definitely motorhomes. I sold my big scooter in six hours on FB market place the other week.

Some have said they had good experiences with Motorhome Depot but as a buyer I stopped bothering with any ads through them as they were useless in terms of providing information about the vehicle. I am also a bit sceptical as to why someone would use them especially in this market. Auction house as said seems crazy in this market also.

Best thing to do I reckon is maybe use Ebay to do an advance search for your exact vehicle and see what they actually "sold" for. I often do this with other bits and pieces I sell. or maybe go 20% under what the dealers are offering them for.

All vehicles seem to be in demand now. Bikes, cars and definitely motorhomes. I sold my big scooter in six hours on FB market place the other week.
Thanks ,
My price quoted earlier is based on comparing a few very similar vehicles.
EbAY may be worth a try as under £25,000

Apart from one judgement and nagging induce error (Motorhome depot) all mine (12) have sold very quickly on Ebay classified ads, £30 for 30 days, simple to do, 12 pictures, 8 inside 4 outside showing the layout and the bed made up, any extras etc in the description, MOT etc never put a phone number in or you'll get loads of dealers wanting to steal it.

But maybe put it on here first, you never know.

Mine sold quickly and I got more than I expected. I used Motorhome Depot and all they asked me to do was make sure it had been washed and cleaned inside.
The Commission is agreed beforehand and it sounds like the Lady in Post 7 was taken advantage of. The Commission on my sale amounted to a single figure percentage. A Dealer will offer very little when buying from an owner. Perhaps the shortage of motorhomes has increased what they will pay now but it will still be pitiful.

Mine sold quickly and I got more than I expected. I used Motorhome Depot and all they asked me to do was make sure it had been washed and cleaned inside.
The Commission is agreed beforehand and it sounds like the Lady in Post 7 was taken advantage of. The Commission on my sale amounted to a single figure percentage. A Dealer will offer very little when buying from an owner. Perhaps the shortage of motorhomes has increased what they will pay now but it will still be pitiful.
So a single figure, but you won't tell us 🫥, say 9% on a £30k MoHo, thats £2,700 What do they do for that, if they don't show buyers round, hich is what many sellers wouldn't like to do ?

So a single figure, but you won't tell us 🫥, say 9% on a £30k MoHo, thats £2,700 What do they do for that, if they don't show buyers round, hich is what many sellers wouldn't like to do ?
They did everything. It was advertised in multiple places and the first to see it bought it. The chap from MH Depot did everything and was very knowledgeable on Motorhomes. He asked me to be available in the event of specific questions by the buyer (it was on my driveway). As it happened the buyer agreed to buy it and then asked to talk to me and to go over a few things. He had a Motorhome in the past and so had some idea. He basically wanted to know about the Solar system and what modifications I had made to the vehicle.

As I said in my previous post, try and get a Dealer to work with the same margin and he will tell you to do one.

As for talking specifics on the money involved, I think you have a cheek to ask.

All worked well for you then, they did a grand job, 'first to see will buy' and did! That was an easy sell.
Re- Reading my post, I didn't ask for any specifics.

They charged me £3K on £23k van, I only used them because Liz didn't want me to be stressed by selling myself even though I wasn't, a quiet life was a bit expensive, and they provided a pretty crap service to be honest, it's a franchised business so you don't get the same service as someone else in a different area might get.

Can I ask one question, do you feel you got more than you would have if you had sold yourself.

I think many will bulk at the idea of selling themselves, and others revel in it.
Easy way, hand keys in on a part ex or to broker to sell, what ever you feel comfy with and how much you don't mind paying for convenience.
I thoroughly enjoying buying and selling privately and have with at least 20 cars, motorbikes, Mohos. Each to their own.
Of course with so many vehicles purchased on finance deals, PCP etc. then privately dealing isn't really an option.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back