Self isolate

Malco

Free Member
I am just returning from a great holiday in the Baltic’s and now we have this self isolation policy on return from France Belgium. Well I was going to book ferry in Germany and dash straight to Calais but on many attempts could not get P&O website or app to work so now in Belgium tried DFDS worked and booked but have a form to fill in extra and it already knows I am in Belgium and assumes I need to isolate. Well not a thought I relish and was wondering if there was any way I could continue self isolation in the Motorhome as being trapped within four walls will send me insane ?

If you are being ordered to self isolate then that is what you must do. Dont know if you have seen the news but its a £1000 fine if you dont and are caught rising to £10000 for repeat offences. I guess you could do it in the motorhome but only if you stay in it.

I am just returning from a great holiday in the Baltic’s and now we have this self isolation policy on return from France Belgium. Well I was going to book ferry in Germany and dash straight to Calais but on many attempts could not get P&O website or app to work so now in Belgium tried DFDS worked and booked but have a form to fill in extra and it already knows I am in Belgium and assumes I need to isolate. Well not a thought I relish and was wondering if there was any way I could continue self isolation in the Motorhome as being trapped within four walls will send me insane ?
I don't see how you can as presumably you have a UK address which will be linked to the self-isolation requirement. Be careful because the rules change during your quarantine period as non-compliance becomes a criminal offence from 28th with a max fine of £10k .........

Where you isolate is not linked to your address, it will be linked to where you say you are isolating on the form.
Isolating in a your van may or may not be acceptable, ie, if using van as accommodation while isolating say at family or friends, so they can go to shops for you.
Driving around willy nilly would certainly be outside the rules though.

Edit to add link.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...how-to-self-isolate-when-you-travel-to-the-uk

Last edited:
You will just have to stay at home insane or not. The situation is bad enough without people trying to sneak about and not self isolating like they should 🤬

Thanks for the advice but still left wondering about full timers in this situation.

There are lots of folk who have been stuck indoors and going insane, and a lot longer than for just 2 weeks.

Count your blessings that you have had a great holiday/tour.

People are currently losing their jobs and homes as a result of this pandemic.

So you don't have a lot to complain about, imho, and I suggest you just do your 2 weeks quarantine as requested.
It's not exactly a lifelong jail sentence, is it?

Just sayin'

Think we better finish as clearly the replies have taken the wrong route unfortunately.

YOU can traverse the country comin home if you originated form a country on the exempt list, , and as long as you dont get out of your vehicle and have contact with anyone or no one gets in your vehicle thay isnt in your bubble and they havent mingled then you get on the shuttle, you dont have to self isolate.
Anything different then you do
Self isolating in a camper van is allowed but not if interacting with any other vans/property/shops etc. So basically pretty much on your drive :)

From what I understand it would make no difference whether you did a mad dash from Germany, if you travel through Belgium or France you have to self isolate.

Our local school posted, with covid outbreak, posted,
"Household members staying at home for 14 days will greatly reduce the overall amount of infection the household could pass on to others in the community If you are able can, move any vulnerable individuals (such as the elderly and those with underlying health conditions) out of your home, to stay with friends or family for the duration of the home isolation period.”

The op has a house and not an occupant of a private vehicle but staying in for 2 weeks will apparently drive him insane.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back