Screwed upTyre

if in doubt put some oko in and it goes on again for years .
mind when off to africa etc i do carry puncture patches and gaiter patches etc and several tubes for repairs.
also 2 spares for my truck and two for the trailer.
if the tyres look like they might be worn out during the trip i carry a couple of spare tyres as well.
not so handy though if you use a small camper. hee hee.
tyres can be very expensive in africa and europe.

if in doubt put some oko in and it goes on again for years .
mind when off to africa etc i do carry puncture patches and gaiter patches etc and several tubes for repairs.
also 2 spares for my truck and two for the trailer.
if the tyres look like they might be worn out during the trip i carry a couple of spare tyres as well.
not so handy though if you use a small camper. hee hee.
tyres can be very expensive in africa and europe.

Your being well prepared and as you say the tyres are expensive and if you have a spare tyre you can pick and choose when you get a replacement. :)

Tyres Very expensive & fitting in Switzerland.
The puncture trashed the tyre and my spare was 10 years old.
So I replaced the spare and the trashed tyre.

The new pair put on the front
My money safe in the rear being £450 lighter !
As I say the spare was original
I had a set of 4 in 2014 (Early) so 5.5 full summers at about 6,000 miles per summer.
The remaining 2 older tyres were replaced in April of this year !

luckily i did work for ats for a while . but having travelled quite a few times in africa i soon learned punctures in the sandy places are a daily happening. once i saw the plug repairs from outside and they worked i thought better get a kit. it was 22yrs ago and luckily my local tyre shop had them for the off road vehicles in the pits . i had been away from tyre fitting for several years . knew and do carry mushroom patch plugs that fit from inside but the push in from outside were a surprise. i knew about oko etc as farm tractors have been using it for years .
in the desert thorns grow and live a couple of inches under the sandy surface. its amazing how many punctures you can get in a day. i had been warned about it by one of my customers in my vw garage that it can happen ,but really its amazing how many you can get.
these days always carry repair kit even for local drive outs ,there is so much rubbish dropped on roads its so easy to get a puncture even in uk.

Better with solid tyres.
traction tyres.png

Bought this kit of Mac Tools about twenty years ago and used it loads of times. Wouldn’t be without it and my good quality 12 compressor. As VW Alan says there supposed to be temporary but I’ve had them in tyres for the life of the tyre with no problems. Punctures repaired without jacking up and removing wheel and back on the road in no time.
B49A1E19-8104-4765-97F1-E2133FF42D92.jpeg

I don’t understand why anyone wouldn’t want the best tyres they can have. The cost of a tyre versus a life threatening disaster? A no brainer every time. It would be a new tyre for me. Sorry.

There is a 10 years of age rule on commercials/hgv now :unsure:
Not here , no one bothers here as long as tread and no cracking on tyre, many cars and vans run reused tyres here or as we say 30 bob skid wells.

Tubes are elegal now in a tubeless tyre,things have moved on. 😂
I would be interested to see the legislation on that as I have an MG with wire wheels which need tubes, and it is fitted with standard tubeless tyres + old fashioned tubes as I expect all wire wheel sports cars are. Do you have a reference to the legislation on that ?

Bought this kit of Mac Tools about twenty years ago and used it loads of times. Wouldn’t be without it and my good quality 12 compressor. As VW Alan says there supposed to be temporary but I’ve had them in tyres for the life of the tyre with no problems. Punctures repaired without jacking up and removing wheel and back on the road in no time.
My brother in South Africa built a game fence in an area with a thorn bush known locally as "tractor thorn"(or in Afrikaans "Trekker Doring" Dichrostachys cinerea) named thus because it's thorn can penetrate the rear wheel of a tractor. Needless to say over the three years of completing the fence he had up to three punctures each day in the 4x4's and he bought these plugs in bulk. Between us three brothers (I lived in Zimbabwe at the time) we believe we've repaired between one and two thousand punctures with those plugs. I asked my brother if he avoided certain parts of the tyre (i.e. the major repair zone). He said no, he had got to the point where he repaired a hole anywhere. I asked if he did the same for his motorway vehicles, he said yes. I asked if a plug had ever failed: he said he once ran out of plugs and to get back home he used a supermarket plastic bag - and that eventually failed. But a plug never failed.
To be clear - these were all plug repairs on smaller or slower vehicles, never a 4.5t motorhome. I can see why people would be nervous.

I would be interested to see the legislation on that as I have an MG with wire wheels which need tubes, and it is fitted with standard tubeless tyres + old fashioned tubes as I expect all wire wheel sports cars are. Do you have a reference to the legislation on that ?
No i said early on but now retired friend worked for r/royce and told me banned from many years back, note garages now dont sell them or fit .

My brother in South Africa built a game fence in an area with a thorn bush known locally as "tractor thorn"(or in Afrikaans "Trekker Doring" Dichrostachys cinerea) named thus because it's thorn can penetrate the rear wheel of a tractor. Needless to say over the three years of completing the fence he had up to three punctures each day in the 4x4's and he bought these plugs in bulk. Between us three brothers (I lived in Zimbabwe at the time) we believe we've repaired between one and two thousand punctures with those plugs. I asked my brother if he avoided certain parts of the tyre (i.e. the major repair zone). He said no, he had got to the point where he repaired a hole anywhere. I asked if he did the same for his motorway vehicles, he said yes. I asked if a plug had ever failed: he said he once ran out of plugs and to get back home he used a supermarket plastic bag - and that eventually failed. But a plug never failed.
To be clear - these were all plug repairs on smaller or slower vehicles, never a 4.5t motorhome. I can see why people would be nervous.
i know in the clay tips around here they were used in very big trucks etc . scraper trucks and even huge diggers etc.
have used lots myself and friends were so pleased with them they bought their own kits .
luckily most of my travel to africa friends have 7.5 ton trucks so air brakes etc mean there is always a compressor on the go.
my truck has hydraulic brakes but i need air to use the trailer so do have a compressor wired in to work the trailer brakes .
they do work like magic , amazing repairs done easily and quickly.

I'd appreciate a link to a repair from outside kit that is known to be good if anyone has one?

For truck (7.5t) tyres mainly, if it makes any difference. Cheers.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back