Road tax hike

Wrong, there taxed on weight, over 3.5 ton is much cheaper than under 3.5.
I've not double checked this, but AFAIK motorhomes under 3.5t are taxed in two bands, under and over 1400cc, but a 1399cc motorhome will be a rare beast I can only think of a couple.
p.s. may be 1600cc, haven't time to check

Yes your right about other things to worry about this clean air zone near me is a worry because they have included the cities outer ring road that puts an automatic £60 on my MOT just for driving my motorhome to the garage and if they keep it overnight it’s another £60 to get it home. 😡😡
So that’s £60 for 2miles
Really dirty rear number plate then seems the answer. Nothing on the front so that might help you out. Chain spray might do it.

I've not double checked this, but AFAIK motorhomes under 3.5t are taxed in two bands, under and over 1400cc, but a 1399cc motorhome will be a rare beast I can only think of a couple.
p.s. may be 1600cc, haven't time to check
Just got around to double checking this, up to 1549cc, and over 1549cc are the two tax bands for sub 3.5t motorhomes.

A daily levy of up to £2 to drive a petrol or diesel car in London could be imposed by Sadiq Khan under radical options being considered to reduce toxic air pollution.

The Mayor is also considering expanding the ultra-low emission zone across all of Greater London’s 33 boroughs, well beyond the Ulez’s current boundary of the North and South Circular roads.

A third option would see both the Ulez expand and the “clean air charge” – which he said would cost a “small sum of money” but probably more than a bus ticket – being introduced.

A fourth option would see Mr Khan press ahead with already controversial plans to impose a Greater London boundary charge of about £3.50 a day on out-of-town motorists driving into the capital.

He wants to make the change before his second term of office ends in May 2024.

Wrong, there taxed on weight, over 3.5 ton is much cheaper than under 3.5.
hiya yes tax rates vans motorhomes cars some say as you go on weight, some say engine size can not win
all so had letter from dvla when i renew my drivers licence for 10 years in 2021 i only got 4 years but payed for 10 years then have to renew every 3 years but will be free to renew if am still here or goverment change there minds
because will be 70yrs young and then can not drive a van, motorhome over the weight of 3.5 ton only under 3.5 ton in max weight thats what letter say from dvla but for now i can still drive over 3.5 max wieght but only for 4 yrs then at 70yrs only drive under 3.5 ton max wieght

hiya yes tax rates vans motorhomes cars some say as you go on weight, some say engine size can not win
all so had letter from dvla when i renew my drivers licence for 10 years in 2021 i only got 4 years but payed for 10 years then have to renew every 3 years but will be free to renew if am still here or goverment change there minds
because will be 70yrs young and then can not drive a van, motorhome over the weight of 3.5 ton only under 3.5 ton in max weight thats what letter say from dvla but for now i can still drive over 3.5 max wieght but only for 4 yrs then at 70yrs only drive under 3.5 ton max wieght
Doctors line and you can drive over 3.5t

I don't personally have a major objection to levies for driving around in big, congested cities.
But that would be with a major proviso - provision of a comprehensive infrastructure of cheap, reliable, frequent public transport and safe places to park your own vehicle(s) outside the boundaries.

But outside of London, and a handful of other regional 'cities', public transport is pretty woeful nowadays - and not cheap!

First big drawback: current provision of decent, affordable public transport in th UK lies firmly in the realms Cloud Cuckoo land.
We're going to be end-to-end tarmac across the land if roads expansion continues as it has been.

And then the huge, thorny question is - how many of us would be prepared to give up our private vehicles?

I don't personally have a major objection to levies for driving around in big, congested cities.
But that would be with a major proviso - provision of a comprehensive infrastructure of cheap, reliable, frequent public transport and safe places to park your own vehicle(s) outside the boundaries.

But outside of London, and a handful of other regional 'cities', public transport is pretty woeful nowadays - and not cheap!

First big drawback: current provision of decent, affordable public transport in th UK lies firmly in the realms Cloud Cuckoo land.
We're going to be end-to-end tarmac across the land if roads expansion continues as it has been.

And then the huge, thorny question is - how many of us would be prepared to give up our private vehicles?
And a major problem with the out-of-town park & ride parking facilities people are 'encouraged' to use to avoid driving into the city centres ... many have height restrictions so if you have a Motorhome you can't even use them!
(and the Manchester zone is just a farce - 500 sq miles! take you all day on public transport to get in and out!)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back