Road tax hike

Looking at the government information, this is a pre-determined rise in 2022 and I think again in 2023 and it is a rise in line with the RPI.

Yes your right about other things to worry about this clean air zone near me is a worry because they have included the cities outer ring road that puts an automatic £60 on my MOT just for driving it to the garage and if they keep it overnight it’s another £60 to get it home. 😡😡
So that’s £60 for 2miles
if it is just 2 miles away, maybe get the garage to pick it up for the MOT and drop it off again, using their trade plates?

Yes your right about other things to worry about this clean air zone near me is a worry because they have included the cities outer ring road that puts an automatic £60 on my MOT just for driving it to the garage and if they keep it overnight it’s another £60 to get it home. 😡😡
So that’s £60 for 2miles
Swap the no plate.

Yes your right about other things to worry about this clean air zone near me is a worry because they have included the cities outer ring road that puts an automatic £60 on my MOT just for driving my motorhome to the garage and if they keep it overnight it’s another £60 to get it home. 😡😡
So that’s £60 for 2miles
Looks like I will miss out on my annual screening test.....no chance I will be paying £60.....probably be cheaper to get a taxi.

Considering the state of the roads it’s a disgrace, if true.
VED revenue has nothing to do with spending on highways, if the two were linked we’d either have the best roads in the world or the government would reduce what we pay. Road fund licence as it was previously called went out the window in 1936 Here

Its a simple tax on wealth, if you car afford a vehicle you should pay more tax is the thinking, over the years the system has become a shambles, and now people who can afford a £100k+ Tesla pay nothing and Campervanannie gets ripped off.

The government have targets to hit under the Paris agreement etc, so they will continue to push us into electric vehicles, when that happens and VED falls they’ll put VED on electric vehicles and add duty to public charging points as by then you’ll be trapped again and have no choice but pay.

But your right the roads are disgraceful now and we now have a colder winter than previous years (due Mainly to the lack of flying in recent years) and it will only make matters worse.

VED revenue has nothing to do with spending on highways, if the two were linked we’d either have the best roads in the world or the government would reduce what we pay. Road fund licence as it was previously called went out the window in 1936 Here

Its a simple tax on wealth, if you car afford a vehicle you should pay more tax is the thinking, over the years the system has become a shambles, and now people who can afford a £100k+ Tesla pay nothing and Campervanannie gets ripped off.

The government have targets to hit under the Paris agreement etc, so they will continue to push us into electric vehicles, when that happens and VED falls they’ll put VED on electric vehicles and add duty to public charging points as by then you’ll be trapped again and have no choice but pay.

But your right the roads are disgraceful now and we now have a colder winter than previous years (due Mainly to the lack of flying in recent years) and it will only make matters worse.
I was not solely referring to the road tax.
I was referring to what we as drivers contribute to the U.K. economy.
82% of what we pay at the pumps is tax, as a matter of fact we pay tax on tax as it’s charged at 20% Vat. it’s reckoned we contribute around £45billion a year.

I drew a comparison between our roads and those in the US. And the US roads in some states suffer much worse weather conditions than ours. They pay far less than us, and yet their roads are far better. You only have to drive in Europe to see the difference. Our roads are getting worse, and more dangerous to drive on due to lack of maintenance.

I have to laugh when they put speed bumps into roads that are littered with pot holes. Even without the speed bumps driving is difficult. Then we have lack of proper toad markings, I could go on.

Last edited:
It’s already £340 per year to tax my Volvo. Not practical for us to own a leccy car due to our rural location we need 4x4.

The newspapers are screaming about massive increases of 100% or more. The government is saying that the rises will be in line with inflation.
So either the media are generating a fuss about nothing or the government is telling lies.
Ah, perhaps both are true. That's what seems to happen..
The Greater Manchester pollution charge is a much bigger deal. Any van, minibus, or vehicle of body type motor caravan which isn't Euro 6 will have to pay £60 or £10 for every day it's driven on any road (apart from motorways and a few trunk roads) in the entire Greater Manchester area. This will put a lot of companies out of business.
Private cars are exempt, but not motor caravans, however tiny.
It's a stupid, irrational, ungreen and unfair policy. I'm amazed that more protest hasn't emerged.

It’s already £340 per year to tax my Volvo. Not practical for us to own a leccy car due to our rural location we need 4x4.
Available at all good Irish garages.
donkey.png

The Gov www says it will rise in line with RPi so that's not much, not draconian.
"This measure will uprate the Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) rates for cars, vans, motorcycles and motorcycle trade licences by the Retail Prices Index (RPI). This is a standard uprating to come into effect from April 2022."

Of course, we all have in our diaries "TAX THE CAMPER BEFORE END OF MARCH" . . . . . . . .don't we? I do.
And bear in mind there are two inflation indexes that the government uses, one is unrealistic and the other is totally stupid. One is designed to raise pensions by the minimum possible and the other is used to raise taxes the maximum possible while ignoring Real Inflation which as we all know has been 36% in the last month alone. If you want proof, go into Morrisons. Last month five doughnuts were 50p. Today they are 69p. That's 36% of anyone's money. Will our pensions increase sufficiently for us to continue buying the volume of doughnuts that we used to? I doubt it.
A Radio 4 program on electric cars a few months ago pointed out that there are more electric car charging points in The City Of Westminster than there are in the whole of Scotland. I had one for two years and experienced the unuseability of them first hand. I could go on and on and on and on and on and on and on about how useless they are as a form of transport, but it's bed time and I would be here till sunrise if I started.

The Gov www says it will rise in line with RPi so that's not much, not draconian.
"This measure will uprate the Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) rates for cars, vans, motorcycles and motorcycle trade licences by the Retail Prices Index (RPI). This is a standard uprating to come into effect from April 2022."

Of course, we all have in our diaries "TAX THE CAMPER BEFORE END OF MARCH" . . . . . . . .don't we? I do.
And bear in mind there are two inflation indexes that the government uses, one is unrealistic and the other is totally stupid. One is designed to raise pensions by the minimum possible and the other is used to raise taxes the maximum possible while ignoring Real Inflation which as we all know has been 36% in the last month alone. If you want proof, go into Morrisons. Last month five doughnuts were 50p. Today they are 69p. That's 36% of anyone's money. Will our pensions increase sufficiently for us to continue buying the volume of doughnuts that we used to? I doubt it.
A Radio 4 program on electric cars a few months ago pointed out that there are more electric car charging points in The City Of Westminster than there are in the whole of Scotland. I had one for two years and experienced the unuseability of them first hand. I could go on and on and on and on and on and on and on about how useless they are as a form of transport, but it's bed time and I would be here till sunrise if I started.
Better not tell nesting zombie about the rising price of doughnuts.

It's interesting that motorhomes are taxed on their engine size, not on their emissions as cars are. So you could have a thumping great gas guzzler from the US of A and pay the same road tax as a 1600cc Berlingo. In fact the gurt great US gas guzzler would inevitably be overweight, and therefore would be beneficiaries of the PHGV rate.

It's interesting that motorhomes are taxed on their engine size, not on their emissions as cars are. So you could have a thumping great gas guzzler from the US of A and pay the same road tax as a 1600cc Berlingo. In fact the gurt great US gas guzzler would inevitably be overweight, and therefore would be beneficiaries of the PHGV rate.
Wrong, there taxed on weight, over 3.5 ton is much cheaper than under 3.5.

That's exactly what I said, a 3499kg motorhome of 2300cc pays a lot more than a 3600kg motorhome of 2300cc. Or if I didn't say it in words of one syllable, that's what I meant.

Yes its total madness
Yes Trev it is total madness. But then this countries whole tax system is bonkers. When I was told by another motorhomer that he was paying over £100 a year less than me, and he was driving a 42500 van, I could not believe it. But I have no doubt they will have a reason for it, but it seems counterproductive to me.

Yes they use CPI to increase pensions, and RPI to put up train fares, and many other things. Of course pensions used to increase at the RPI until David Cameron robbed us all, and hardly anyone took notice of it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back