Road tax hike

Hurstie

I see VED (road tax) is set to increase enormously!! Especially for dirty diesels!! Hope it’s not as much as the papers say!
I’m not sold on electric vehicles. Still damaging this fragile planet.

Here's a quick extract taken from our local rag on the 15th January 2022.

"Drivers in the UK with either petrol or diesel cars have been warned they are set to be penalised, as tax rates are due to rise later this year.

As of April 1, 2022, Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) rates are set to rise for everyone - but Sean Kemple, spokesperson for Close Brothers Motor Finance, has warned that petrol and diesel owners will be more affected based solely on the 'type of vehicle they are purchasing'.

VED rates for vehicles that produce over 255 g/km of CO2 pollution will rise to £2,365 - a marked £120 increase from the current 2021 rate.

Meanwhile, drivers of cars producing 226 to 255 g/km will see a £105 rise, with fees for cars producing 191 to 225 g/km also increasing by £75.

Tax increases will be seen across all vehicles except for those producing less than 75 g/km of CO2, and Mr Kemple has also warned of a 'challenge' as drivers look to switch to electric-powered modes of transportation.

He said that the Government would need to “offset” tax revenues with more drivers switching their existing petrol and diesel cars for a more environmentally friendly model."

Last edited:
Obviously not by the state of them the money is being spent elsewhere.

It's probably labelled a 'green tax' to encourage people to swap to more environmentally friendly modes of transport?
That's if you can afford to do so. Not many of us can. I know some members have electric cars, but they're way out of my budget.

I've no doubt folk could argue about this topic for hours on end - probably already have done in the discussions about electric vs hydrogen vs whatever-alternative-you-want! ;) :cool:

I cannot see any mention of the PHGV ( Private Heavy Good Vehicle ) rate of £165 which our motorhome comes under and has never increased.

Our car is £20 and that stays the same ............................. i think.

It's probably labelled a 'green tax' to encourage people to swap to more environmentally friendly modes of transport?
That's if you can afford to do so. Not many of us can. I know some members have electric cars, but they're way out of my budget.

I've no doubt folk could argue about this topic for hours on end - probably already have done in the discussions about electric vs hydrogen vs whatever-alternative-you-want! ;) :cool:
Marie, all I am asking for is that more of the £45 billion we pay on various vehicle taxes is spent on our roads.
On a 20 mile journey recently from Elie to Craigmead in fife I witnessed 4 road closures, one of which prevented me from getting to Craigmead.
I had to travel to Lochore and sort things out from there.
Our roads are full of potholes, poor or non existent road markings, and an abundance of roadworks.
I have driven all over the US and you can drive for hundreds of miles with no roadworks.
I can rarely drive 5 miles from my home without roadworks here.
And most of these roadworks are to gain access to services, and when finished they patch up the damage,
leading to guess what, yes you guessed it more road works.:mad:

I cannot see any mention of the PHGV ( Private Heavy Good Vehicle ) rate of £165 which our motorhome comes under and has never increased.

Our car is £20 and that stays the same ............................. i think.

Here’s another link which appears to bear out the PHGV staying the same .There’s other stuff about certification and the like but as far as I’m concerned our 2005 2.8jtd seems to be unchanged.

Cheers

H

The gov have to get the cost of covid back somehow, we are easy targets, time for a revolution.
heads of.png

Here's a quick extract taken from our local rag on the 15th January 2022.

"Drivers in the UK with either petrol or diesel cars have been warned they are set to be penalised, as tax rates are due to rise later this year.

As of April 1, 2022, Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) rates are set to rise for everyone - but Sean Kemple, spokesperson for Close Brothers Motor Finance, has warned that petrol and diesel owners will be more affected based solely on the 'type of vehicle they are purchasing'.

VED rates for vehicles that produce over 255 g/km of CO2 pollution will rise to £2,365 - a marked £120 increase from the current 2021 rate.

Meanwhile, drivers of cars producing 226 to 255 g/km will see a £105 rise, with fees for cars producing 191 to 225 g/km also increasing by £75.

Tax increases will be seen across all vehicles except for those producing less than 75 g/km of CO2, and Mr Kemple has also warned of a 'challenge' as drivers look to switch to electric-powered modes of transportation.

He said that the Government would need to “offset” tax revenues with more drivers switching their existing petrol and diesel cars for a more environmentally friendly model."
hiya have just tax my camper of 10 years again on 1/1/2022 cost £280.00 for 12 months road tax go up every year for me my thinking is the government whant petrol,diesel cars, vans off the road this is just one way of doing it and another way is mot garage as well government whant petrol, diesels off the road no matter what how good your van or car is
my camper over the last 10 years the co2 emissions are 0.09 not even 1% how dirty diesel engine is that
the government is priceing people off the road anyway happy camping for another 12 months hopefull for free it pays for the road tax

Probably the best bet is to wait until after the budget. Meanwhile there are many more things to worry about.
Yes your right about other things to worry about this clean air zone near me is a worry because they have included the cities outer ring road that puts an automatic £60 on my MOT just for driving my motorhome to the garage and if they keep it overnight it’s another £60 to get it home. 😡😡
So that’s £60 for 2miles

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back