request advice: sewage

Your cassettes brimming to overflow, you forgot your spade or the ground is like rock, you are miles from public loos, your bladder/bowel is fit to bust. So what are you going to do?

As stated, a last resort may be all that's left. I know of two on this forum who have had to resort to 'drastic' action & no, they weren't happy doing it but they had to do something.
I have yet to reach that stage but if needs must then I am not going risk toilet waste filling the locker or the back of my trousers! Nettles it will be. I use bio so brown sludge water isn't likely to harm the nettles & the insects are going to have a feast. If no nettles, then brambles, ferns, long grass laid over the top etc etc.

That is not how you worded it in your first post, you made it sound like a normal procedure.

As others have noted, this is an open forum that anyone can enter and read the posts by members. What I am saying is that you feel free to do what you want ...... just don't advertise it on an open forum.

And please, please go back and delete that part of your post before somebody picks up on it and it does harm to this forum.

go into the woods or bushes with a small shovel. al fresco pooing is quite pleasant,even in a light drizzle- you are at one with nature

Don't go in the nettles, you'll be sorry and probably end up with a bum like a blood orange or worse a Japanese flag.

Talking S%!T !

I usually use public toilets when there is nobody around :ninja: or if you are stuck you can pay a small fee at a camping site with dumping (Pun intended :tongue:) facilities.
If I use a public toilet, I always make sure It leave it spotlessly clean. The last thing I want is to give some sad jobs-worth an excuse.

I have also learnt that it is best not to wait till the cassette is brimming as you have more chance of spillage if you do. Also, looking for a public toilet starts to become the focus of the day, if its full.
If I come across a quiet toilet, I usually empty the cassette whether it needs it or not. It kinda resets the clock and you know you have up to 3 to 4 days, before it gets full again.

I have never had to resort to anything other than a public toilet or camping site dumping facilities in 4 yrs.

Last edited:
hereford

I live a good poo thread so pee in the toilet **** in a bag lining the toilet bowl and dispose if it in dog poo bins or general waste bins or burn it. Lovely

And i thought it was the sap in the pallets making the fire go well at Hereford,didn't half make my eyes water:)

We visit a CS/CL every few days to get fresh water and flush tanks. Often gives us a chance to charge batteries and have a shower. All for about a tenner. The big bonus is often the chat with the owner, info on local area, what to do, where to visit etc.
Always use facilities when out and about, pubs, supermarkets, shoping centres all have a loo.
We carry a spade to bury it and a pair of handles to lift sewer covers but please make sure it is a sewer. Some carry a Radar Key to use disabled toilets. I do not have one but have no problem with others doing this but some get very upset about it.

Please do not dump near water courses, in view of others, in well used areas or as one idiot once suggested on here, on the beach.

Richard

Wild camping in Lofoten Islands, Norway, and asked local fisherman where to empty cassette. He advised head to coast and at low tide feed the fish.

He went onto explain 99% of fishing boats, yachts, pleasure craft etc, do the same and pump the lot straight into the sea.

Never tried it but he had a point.

a pair of handles to lift sewer covers but please make sure it is a sewer.

Richard

If we go away for a few days and we empty when we get back home, I lift the sewer cover in the back yard as I don't want to be traipsing through the house with a heavy cassette.
I could do with a pair of cheap handles, where did you get them from?
Also, is there a way to identify sewer covers, without lifting them of course, when out and about ?

I say wrap it in newspaper

Find a neighbourhood doorstep and position the wrapped gift strategically there-on

Quickly set fire to the paper

Then knock the door and run away to a safe distance

you can then observe secretly and laugh your spuds off

If we go away for a few days and we empty when we get back home, I lift the sewer cover in the back yard as I don't want to be traipsing through the house with a heavy cassette.
Also, is there a way to identify sewer covers, without lifting them of course, when out and about ?

Is it Fork handles you're after?...

Fork handles - handles for forks!

Cannot remember where I got mine but something like this would do you. Draper 89721 2 Manhole Keys: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Sorry but apart from a bit of common sense I have no idea how to identify them without lifting. I you see a log float past, you can be fairly sure you are in the correct spot though. :)

Richard

There are some evil Ba===rds on this site who will wind you right up. I have had this little problem and I actually bought a second cassette and IF it goes a bit wrong then you can hold it in one, in the garage not the van, and fit the other until you find a disposal point. I do not use blue liquid and BIO washing fluid instead which is not so destructive to cesspits or whatever the toilet you are using empties into including the mains. The liquids on sale are probably formaldehyde which kill the bugs in a toilet system and would disrupt the eco system of the toilet disposal. Take car and do not do something you think might be bad and then You will not do anything too bad. When you use bio liquid you can put it down public loos. PS always lock the cassette door as there are some towrags around who might steal you cassette to save buying another for their own use. YOU would not know until you HAVE used yours without the cassette, very messy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in many places its burnt in the waste incinerators along with other rubbish .
water is removed etc then its burnt or gasification burnt . (not in a flame type burn).
then it is used to provide energy .
hot water or electricity.
not really alot of use to the wild camper but interesting .

Is this done in this country?
I (unfortunity) do work for many Water authorities around the country and not come across any. All sites I visit have Digesters that produce the methane gas (from sludge waste) that is in turn used to either burn in a genny for supplying electric to grid or now, more profitable for them Gas straight to grid. We have also got the Poo Bus in Bristol, it fills up from Avonmouth Sewerage works with methane gas, the bus is called 'The Number 2 Bus'.

Is this done in this country?
I (unfortunity) do work for many Water authorities around the country and not come across any. All sites I visit have Digesters that produce the methane gas (from sludge waste) that is in turn used to either burn in a genny for supplying electric to grid or now, more profitable for them Gas straight to grid. We have also got the Poo Bus in Bristol, it fills up from Avonmouth Sewerage works with methane gas, the bus is called 'The Number 2 Bus'.

there are a few places . its mainly done in the eu. i visited several in france spain germany denmark while i worked in the waste industry.
there is a new incinerator in cornwall . it was going to be behind my house .unfortunately due to local objections its now been moved and is not the best system available . locals wouldnt listen to me . we could have pushed for the best system . got rid of alot more waste and sewage ,and local houses could have had free hot water . they very often do abroad .
trouble is argue against it all . you get less and its cost more .
uk is good at making new roads cost ten times original costs by objecting .
but yes down here digesting . gas powered engines and big gennies power the grid . or sewage made into compost etc
i found sewage and waste very interesting . went on talks all over eu. even went to one in gambia for the world health organization . did a talk on septic tanks there. better than working . hee hee.

toilet waste

if you pee and use water to flush enough, a short drive I find makes my waste including paper totally liquid. I disagree entirely with using any chemicals, because your waste is or should be the same as any manure used on all fields. chemicals are simply dangerous dumped. just find a quiet place, and add to manure or dump in a hedge..........steve bristol

go into the woods or bushes with a small shovel. al fresco pooing is quite pleasant,even in a light drizzle- you are at one with nature

You can practice this at home first by going with the window open :lol-053:

I found the easyiest way to get rid of black wast is to empty the cassett in a public toilet , better if your not seen though, I flush the toilet & only pour it whilst its flushing & repeat until the cassett is empty , this way you avoid blocking the toilet.

You can practice this at home first by going with the window open :lol-053:

I found the easyiest way to get rid of black wast is to empty the cassett in a public toilet , better if your not seen though, I flush the toilet & only pour it whilst its flushing & repeat until the cassett is empty , this way you avoid blocking the toilet.

Gosh, blocking the toilet. My mind boggles and what you are putting down a 100mm diameter pipe.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back