request advice: sewage

Unless another WC member is further up emptying his in the wrong pipeline:scared:

There's always one isn't there.

Catch up Tezza, if he (or she) had used their Bio Liquid, then there would be no logs. Just a slap for the idiot up stream. :)

Richard

there are strict rules on human waste sludge to land ..
Safe Sludge Matrix - Introduction
you may find this interesting .
since dec 2005 no untreated sewage (human)should be going on to land in uk.

Hi Alan,

Good to see you back safe and sound.

Had to smile at the "6 log reduction". :)

The scarey bit for me was that its fine if its been ulta treated to get rid of 99.9999% of bugs. That's fine but surely its still a first class culture medium and you are adding it to Soil!!! Does this not reinoculate it. I am guessing that the different environment will inhibit growth and normal soil bacteria will compete but as modern Super Bugs can be soil borne.??? Better not tell the wife how they grew the oils in her makeup. :)

Richard

Wild camping in Lofoten Islands, Norway, and asked local fisherman where to empty cassette. He advised head to coast and at low tide feed the fish.

He went onto explain 99% of fishing boats, yachts, pleasure craft etc, do the same and pump the lot straight into the sea.

Never tried it but he had a point.

With all the problems with Seaside Councils banning Motorhomes, you want to encourage Motorhomers to be seen dumping buckets of Sh*t at the waters edge on the bathing beachs. ???

Richard

Wild camping in Lofoten Islands, Norway, and asked local fisherman where to empty cassette. He advised head to coast and at low tide feed the fish.

He went onto explain 99% of fishing boats, yachts, pleasure craft etc, do the same and pump the lot straight into the sea.

Never tried it but he had a point.

Remember many years ago swimming in Majorca in a bay with many expensive yachts moored. When I came up against a few floating "jobbies" I was out like a rocket.

Gosh, blocking the toilet. My mind boggles and what you are putting down a 100mm diameter pipe.

just the usual nice black waste but just do it that way to be on the safe side, would hate to block the toilet, I kind of feel a bit cheeky/ guilty doing it , no idea why just sort of do so just want to leave it clean & in working for the next user, would hate for George Michael to turn up after I had gone & not be able to use the facilities :lol-053:

I wonder where Anti Motor Home Councils or Campsite owners get there info they could even post here to find the answer.
First thing they mention is where do you dispose of your waste. If they read these posts they'll say 90% do it in the bushes

Got to agree with this.
On two of our fields we have problems with dog crap, on another we have problems with human, mostly it seems WVM and car drivers, but twice we have had 'wild campers' dump a cassette load in the trees, a full and frank expression of my thoughts on that would probably get me banned, or at least seriously challenge any swear filter.

Warning: this post contains explicit material which you may find offensive.
If so, my apology but you dont have to read it.

I am a new member, hoping to hire a MH for 2 weeks in June. If we do find
wild sites and dont get arrested, the most obvious problem is: where to go
to dump sewage? We will probably want to stay 1 or 2 nights in a regular
campsite, but the websites I have found seem to only list sites that
1: are either expensive or conceal their prices
2: ask you to book in advance for >= 3 nights

Please any advice? Thank you.

Have you searched on The UK Camp Site for Tent and Caravan Campers in the UK - I usually manage to find somewhere on there :)

Got to agree with this.
On two of our fields we have problems with dog crap, on another we have problems with human, mostly it seems WVM and car drivers, but twice we have had 'wild campers' dump a cassette load in the trees, a full and frank expression of my thoughts on that would probably get me banned, or at least seriously challenge any swear filter.

Saw a chap empty his cassette onto the beach a few feet from his van where his and his mates children would be playing later. Just kicked a bit of sand over it. Saw me watching him and turned around and went back into his van which was using up about 5 car parking spaces. No surprise that there is a height barrier there now..:(

Richard

just the usual nice black waste but just do it that way to be on the safe side, would hate to block the toilet, I kind of feel a bit cheeky/ guilty doing it , no idea why just sort of do so just want to leave it clean & in working for the next user, would hate for George Michael to turn up after I had gone & not be able to use the facilities :lol-053:

Why would you feel guilty? Just think of the water being saved by using the cassette as its a very small flush rather than 2 gallons for each use. Only time I would not empty completely in one go, is if it backs up and then I just stop, let some drain away and then continue. No point in wasting water with two flushes when one will do. Agree wc should be left clean and tidy

Why would you feel guilty? Just think of the water being saved by using the cassette as its a very small flush rather than 2 gallons for each use. Only time I would not empty completely in one go, is if it backs up and then I just stop, let some drain away and then continue. No point in wasting water with two flushes when one will do. Agree wc should be left clean and tidy

True enough Shortcircuit, no need to feel guilty but I just kind of feel a bit funny about it, not enough to stop me though, I sure would feel guilty if I had emptied it on to a beach, crickey some people have no shame do they !!!

Is this done in this country?
I (unfortunity) do work for many Water authorities around the country and not come across any. All sites I visit have Digesters that produce the methane gas (from sludge waste) that is in turn used to either burn in a genny for supplying electric to grid or now, more profitable for them Gas straight to grid. We have also got the Poo Bus in Bristol, it fills up from Avonmouth Sewerage works with methane gas, the bus is called 'The Number 2 Bus'.

There's a big refinery at daldowie just of the m74 Glasgow, they make fuel pellets there

Not exactly on thread but a story anyway.
I was flying with a friend on a longish cross country flight when he started to get a bit squirmy, but OK for the moment. We arrived at the destination airfield and were told to wait in a holding area because of something happening on the ground. My mate was really desperate now and he had to go VERY soon for a pee he was bursting. I took control and he stood up and dangled Percy out the window which was a sliding one, BUT as he was not a hugely endowed man, it sprayed back along the window and most came back in over him . After that he went straight to the accessory shop and bought a LittleJohn mickey with a screw top. I also bought one which is under the seat of the car just in case I get caught out, Prostate are a Ba===d when you get older.

There's a big refinery at daldowie just of the m74 Glasgow, they make fuel pellets there

there was a plant in plymouth that could dry and compress the solids so much and then bake them , they were like pebbles . we had some soaking in a bucket for months . it was possible to have them as chippings for a drive way.
saves having a s--t tarmac drive .
many things have been tried to use the waste .
i have always said have a word with your local water company . spend a day at a works or a day at a fresh water works . you wont be bored .
its amazing just what is happening .

Wessex Water spent millions on plant (Bio Dryer) the would that would dry and pelletised the waste, was the greatest thing going (at the time) but never caught on and they couldn't shift it.It was going to be sold to garden centres as fertiliser. The plant is now mothballed for the more profitable sludge digisters for methane production.

i can admit i miss not working in the waste industry . it was never boring . always new ideas being tried .
i worked mainly in sewage but did a bit in fresh water . found it really interesting and satisfying .
had chance to start when i was a teenager but didnt do it . later in life i look back and think another sort of mistake i might have made.
but change one thing and my whole life would have been different . but its a good one for anyone young to get into.
mind dry waste was also interesting . stuff moved all over uk to be dealt with .

so .... is household recycling economically effective ? are collection/distribution/processing/reusing costs recouped by sales/less greenhouse gases .... or however these things are measured ?

so .... is household recycling economically effective ? are collection/distribution/processing/reusing costs recouped by sales/less greenhouse gases .... or however these things are measured ?

my view is its not as good as most think.
very often its a waste of time .plastic better burnt .
at the moment its about not doing land fill .
its really only a game thats being played . because we use so much fuel the mechanizme of plastic is being stock piled . recycling plastic really is a waste of effort . better burnt for energy.
alot of the clothes people put out just get ripped up for stuffing and mops .
they arent sent out as clothes for the poor or anything .

I don't mind if my old gear gets made into a mop... that's the whole point of recycling.... I'm ok with that... but the fuel we all consume by driving to tips to dump stuff that our bin men wont take - does this put far more co2 into the atmosphere than if the council collected it in bulk in one vehicle ?

i.e. are we saving on one hand then spending more on the other

I don't mind if my old gear gets made into a mop... that's the whole point of recycling.... I'm ok with that... but the fuel we all consume by driving to tips to dump stuff that our bin men wont take - does this put far more co2 into the atmosphere than if the council collected it in bulk in one vehicle ?

i.e. are we saving on one hand then spending more on the other
there really is no saving in money .
just uk is running out of safe land fill .
years ago folk burnt rubbish in fires in their houses . now its in a bin .
green peace etc also play apart in causing problems . complain about trhings happening . then complain when new buildings etc are required to fix the first problem .

That is not how you worded it in your first post, you made it sound like a normal procedure.

As others have noted, this is an open forum that anyone can enter and read the posts by members. What I am saying is that you feel free to do what you want ...... just don't advertise it on an open forum.

And please, please go back and delete that part of your post before somebody picks up on it and it does harm to this forum.

How can you say I made it sound 'normal procedure' when I clearly wrote 'As a last resort.............'?
Anyway, I have deleted it now, in case anybody else fails to read my post correctly!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back