Pub stop mis-use

So as I don't buy or subscribe to Brit Stops but phone in advance and introduce myself and ask permission to stay on a pub carpark and Always buy drinks ( please note the plural) and food if I arrive early enough I'm still to be classed as a Freeloader?.
We always phone in advance and ask permission to stay if for any reason that was declined we would reply thanks very much ad find somewhere else. No probs and no animosity. We regularly come across people i.e motorhomers who brag that they have spent 3 weeks away and never paid for a site or bought a meal at a pub etc as they can carry everything that they need.
Next time you go out count how many so called stealth vans you see with chimneys sticking out of their roofs.
On googling motorhome hire I found a few Scottish motorhome hire companies advertising that they supplied details of Free Wildcamping spots including pubs etc, o what Impression does this give the hirer who probably thought that he or she was getting a cheap holiday?
Sorry peeps I've had Motorhomes and camper vans for the last 40 years and I'm passionate about my chosen pastime. I'll get off my soap box and crawl back into my corner. I'm not a Freeloader never have been and never will be if I stay any where for free I always use local businesses etc.

I'd deff not consider you a 'freeloader'.....

Your post sums up both everything that's right approach wise AND
Highlights everything that's wrong with the "freeloading" attitude with some folks.

I guess that depends on how many stops you make vs. how many beers/meals you buy.
If you don't have the sticker, you're not entitled to stay under the Britstops scheme, that's all.

I would never use pub facilities without spending money within the pub.
I don’t think we would buy any meals, because we enjoy cooking in our Motorhome. But we would probably by a bottle of red wine, and possibly a snack.
I would pay my £30 odd quid for the Brit stop guide then contact the pubs listed.
I would not quote Brit stop, and if asked did I have a current sticker I would state no I don’t. It would then be up to the pub owner to decide wether or not I could have access.
The point seems to have been lost here
It’s wrong to think that these pubs should allow us to use their carparks for free.
I know that this is what Brit stop quote, but any decent person would surely see that this is not acceptable. But unfortunately some seem to think otherwise.
If we all behaved like that, there would be no Brit stops.

Last edited:
Got it in one Fisherman. Just because it's advertised as "no obligation" doesn't make it a free for all. People nowadays have little idea about "fair play" & sadly if that doesn't change we'll all suffer....😕

It’s wrong to think that these pubs should allow us to use their carparks for free.
I know that this is what Brit stop quote, but any decent person would surely see that this is not acceptable. But unfortunately some seem to think otherwise.

I agree.

I would never use pub facilities without spending money within the pub.
I don’t think we would buy any meals, because we enjoy cooking in our Motorhome. But we would probably by a bottle of red wine, and possibly a snack.
I would pay my £30 odd quid for the Brit stop guide then contact the pubs listed.
I would not quote Brit stop, and if asked did I have a current sticker I would state no I don’t. It would then be up to the pub owner to decide wether or not I could have access.
The point seems to have been lost here
It does seem the britstop model is extremely flawed . They are obviously being disingenuous when they say you are not obliged to buy anything . Wonder what their sales pitch to pub landlords is ? Bet they don't push the no sales line .
Disappointing that some think its ok to use the carpark and buy nothing

We asked if we could stop at a Pub Stop in Wales. There was already a MH in the carpark. We went in asked if it was ok and booked a table. We ventured over later for a drink and sat talking to the landlord. Few weeks previous a MH had pulled in and made themselves comfortable in the corner of his car park. Later in the afternoon they walked in and asked if they could use a PowerPoint to charge their laptop and the internet password so they could get their emails. Asked if they would like a drink they said no as they had their own in the MH. He then asked if they wanted a meal and the reply was similar so he suggested they leave. The woman then informed him that she knew her rights and it was a Britstop so they weren't required to spend any money. He then told her it was his pub, his land and his rules.

We also knew the landlord at the Jug and Glass in Derbyshire he let one guy stay for a couple of nights and couldn't get rid of him. It was why he said no when we asked. We used to stay at a campsite round the corner and it was raining one night so we took the MH. When he realised that it was not a heap of junk he gave us permission to stay. So we just used to ring and book a table.

Being an alcoholic (reformed) I have not yet stopped at Pubs :)
Although one I tried to stop at in Lancashire that was on POI said they did not take campers and when I drove past it they had a BIG closed gate anyway

Maybe development of a POI for pubs only or Friendly Pubs with some indication of them being £ (cheap) ££ (moderate) £££ (bloody expensive) would help @POI Admin ??

Being an alcoholic (reformed) I have not yet stopped at Pubs :)
Although one I tried to stop at in Lancashire that was on POI said they did not take campers and when I drove past it they had a BIG closed gate anyway

Maybe development of a POI for pubs only or Friendly Pubs with some indication of them being £ (cheap) ££ (moderate) £££ (bloody expensive) would help @POI Admin ??

Difficult to quantify the cost of a pub. Different people have different perceptions...

Which pub refused you? I'll remove it from the POIs.

I cannot seem to quote Posts Any more ?? (website migration ?)

Anyway it was this one www.thewellsprings.co.uk
I posted about it before but the thread has gone (website migration ?)

Cheers
Robert

Just hit Reply in the bottom right hand corner of the post you want to include ...

Or just copy and paste but add
Code:
. [QUOTE] at the beginning and [/QUOTE] at the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: RAW
I paid for the Britstops book for 3 years but I found most places were on here or other online databases anyway. Stopped at one, a lovely pub, a few years ago. Had a lovely meal and a couple of drinks. Next morning, walking the dog, I met the Landlord (He'd been busy in the function room with a wedding party so hadn't seen me the night before) also walking his dog and we chatted. He seemed genuinely surprised that I had paid to eat in the pub, he thought all Britstoppers were FLTs.

I'm amazed they had space with a wedding on.
Nice to know that both you and he operating in the spirit of the scheme.

pretty much the same comments that have already been posted.
My view on pub stops or Brit Stops (20016 member), is that it would feel wrong not to pop in for a meal or a drink.
We did stay at one pub stop near Carsington Water, but we thought the meal was too expensive and we ended up eating our meal there, having a drink and then going back to the van for a snack. We will not be going back there, but that sort of meal may suit other people.

The problem here is not helped by Brit stops them charging an annual fee for their stickers. Some may feel that they have paid their way by buying their new guide each year. But common sense should tell you that you have to contribute to the pub, by giving them custom.

Last edited:
went to the highlands in our old hymer s700..fantastic time omn the 500 trail,stayed in a few remote sites,parking spaces for a few quid.on the way back south called into a small haunted pub in argyle,,asked the landlord if we could stay overnite at the end of the drive if we bought food,,he said he was fully booked but was ok with us staying,,we bought plenty of beer,had great company and in the morning we where overloooking a castle in the middle of the small lake,loc...ive always asked at pubs would they allow us to stay over if we bought a meal,drank some beer,,whatever really..99 percent said not a problem.its how you approach them...the sticker idea and brit stops was a good idea and i wish i had thought of it..if you ask you have a 50/50 chance of staying over..and after a long drive i never feel like cooking so a pint and burger for a fiver is fine by me,,,:cool:

We have used quite a few brit stops and like you just asked some pubs. So far all has been good. Missing our camper trips soooo much. The 500 trail sounds wonderful from what people have said and I so want to do it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back