Pub stop mis-use

mistericeman

So as I don't buy or subscribe to Brit Stops but phone in advance and introduce myself and ask permission to stay on a pub carpark and Always buy drinks ( please note the plural) and food if I arrive early enough I'm still to be classed as a Freeloader?. We always phone in advance and ask permission to stay if for any reason that was declined we would reply thanks very much ad find somewhere else. No probs and no animosity. We regularly come across people i.e motorhomers who brag that they have spent 3 weeks away and never paid for a site or bought a meal at a pub etc as they can carry everything that they need. Next time you go out count how many so called stealth vans you see with chimneys sticking out of their roofs. On googling motorhome hire I found a few Scottish motorhome hire companies advertising that they supplied details of Free Wildcamping spots including pubs etc, o what Impression does this give the hirer who probably thought that he or she was getting a cheap...
An account upgrade is required to view more of this post.

Fisherman

I guess that depends on how many stops you make vs. how many beers/meals you buy. If you don't have the sticker, you're not entitled to stay under the Britstops scheme, that's all. I would never use pub facilities without spending money within the pub. I don’t think we would buy any meals, because we enjoy cooking in our Motorhome. But we would probably by a bottle of red wine, and possibly a snack. I would pay my £30 odd quid for the Brit stop guide then contact the pubs listed. I would not quote Brit stop, and if asked did I have a current sticker I would state no I don’t. It would then be up to the pub owner to decide wether or not I could have access. The point seems to have been lost here It’s wrong to think that these pubs should allow us to use their carparks for free. I know that this is what Brit stop quote, but any decent person would surely see that this is not acceptable. But unfortunately some seem to think otherwise. If we all behaved like that, there would be no...

Last edited:

GreggBear

Got it in one Fisherman. Just because it's advertised as "no obligation" doesn't make it a free for all. People nowadays have little idea about "fair play" & sadly if that doesn't change we'll all suffer....😕

st3v3

It’s wrong to think that these pubs should allow us to use their carparks for free. I know that this is what Brit stop quote, but any decent person would surely see that this is not acceptable. But unfortunately some seem to think otherwise. If we all behaved like that, there would be no Brit stops. I agree.

alcam

I would never use pub facilities without spending money within the pub. I don’t think we would buy any meals, because we enjoy cooking in our Motorhome. But we would probably by a bottle of red wine, and possibly a snack. I would pay my £30 odd quid for the Brit stop guide then contact the pubs listed. I would not quote Brit stop, and if asked did I have a current sticker I would state no I don’t. It would then be up to the pub owner to decide wether or not I could have access. The point seems to have been lost here It’s wrong to think that these pubs should allow us to use their carparks for free. I know that this is what Brit stop quote, but any decent person would surely see that this is not acceptable. But unfortunately some seem to think otherwise. If we all behaved like that, there would be no Brit stops. It does seem the britstop model is extremely flawed . They are obviously being disingenuous when they say you are not obliged to buy anything . Wonder what their sales...

QFour

We asked if we could stop at a Pub Stop in Wales. There was already a MH in the carpark. We went in asked if it was ok and booked a table. We ventured over later for a drink and sat talking to the landlord. Few weeks previous a MH had pulled in and made themselves comfortable in the corner of his car park. Later in the afternoon they walked in and asked if they could use a PowerPoint to charge their laptop and the internet password so they could get their emails. Asked if they would like a drink they said no as they had their own in the MH. He then asked if they wanted a meal and the reply was similar so he suggested they leave. The woman then informed him that she knew her rights and it was a Britstop so they weren't required to spend any money. He then told her it was his pub, his land and his rules. We also knew the landlord at the Jug and Glass in Derbyshire he let one guy stay for a couple of nights and couldn't get rid of him. It was why he said no when we asked. We used to...

RAW

Being an alcoholic (reformed) I have not yet stopped at Pubs :) Although one I tried to stop at in Lancashire that was on POI said they did not take campers and when I drove past it they had a BIG closed gate anyway Maybe development of a POI for pubs only or Friendly Pubs with some indication of them being £ (cheap) ££ (moderate) £££ (bloody expensive) would help @POI Admin ??

POI Admin

POI Administrator
Being an alcoholic (reformed) I have not yet stopped at Pubs :) Although one I tried to stop at in Lancashire that was on POI said they did not take campers and when I drove past it they had a BIG closed gate anyway Maybe development of a POI for pubs only or Friendly Pubs with some indication of them being £ (cheap) ££ (moderate) £££ (bloody expensive) would help @POI Admin ?? Difficult to quantify the cost of a pub. Different people have different perceptions... Which pub refused you? I'll remove it from the POIs.

Reactions: RAW

RAW

I cannot seem to quote Posts Any more ?? (website migration ?) Anyway it was this one www.thewellsprings.co.uk I posted about it before but the thread has gone (website migration ?) https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-overnight-stops-/75395-poi-wellsprings-pub-do-not-accept-campers-post1008332.html Cheers Robert

QFour

I cannot seem to quote Posts Any more ?? (website migration ?) Anyway it was this one www.thewellsprings.co.uk I posted about it before but the thread has gone (website migration ?) https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-overnight-stops-/75395-poi-wellsprings-pub-do-not-accept-campers-post1008332.html Cheers Robert Just hit Reply in the bottom right hand corner of the post you want to include ... Or just copy and paste but add . at the beginning and at the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: RAW

RAW

Just hit Reply in the bottom right hand corner of the post you want to include ... Or just copy and paste but add . at the beginning and at the end. Seems to be sorted now, thanks though :D

Caz

I paid for the Britstops book for 3 years but I found most places were on here or other online databases anyway. Stopped at one, a lovely pub, a few years ago. Had a lovely meal and a couple of drinks. Next morning, walking the dog, I met the Landlord (He'd been busy in the function room with a wedding party so hadn't seen me the night before) also walking his dog and we chatted. He seemed genuinely surprised that I had paid to eat in the pub, he thought all Britstoppers were FLTs.

Markd

I'm amazed they had space with a wedding on. Nice to know that both you and he operating in the spirit of the scheme.

Uncas

Free Member
Sadly the more people buy motorhomes the more likely of abuse of any system. That my friend sums up there are quite a few people who spend a lot of money on a motorhome and will park anywhere so long as they don't have to spend anything.

Beemer

pretty much the same comments that have already been posted. My view on pub stops or Brit Stops (20016 member), is that it would feel wrong not to pop in for a meal or a drink. We did stay at one pub stop near Carsington Water, but we thought the meal was too expensive and we ended up eating our meal there, having a drink and then going back to the van for a snack. We will not be going back there, but that sort of meal may suit other people.

Fisherman

The problem here is not helped by Brit stops them charging an annual fee for their stickers. Some may feel that they have paid their way by buying their new guide each year. But common sense should tell you that you have to contribute to the pub, by giving them custom.

Last edited: