Pub stop mis-use

We have always phoned ahead and so far been okay as we say we want to book a table to eat and have a few drinks. By the time you pay camp site fees it nearly covers the cost.

We’ve used a few Britstops and pub stops. Not keen on either really. Very often you can’t actually get in the car park and if you do, it’s because people don’t use the pub much, probably because the food isn’t good.
I would never dream of using a Britstop pub and buying food I don’t like the look of just to feel like I am “paying my Way”
As others have said, many Britstop members seem to use the guide just to advertise their business.

But, we have been to a couple where the food is excellent. One in Wales “The Horseshoe Inn, Old Abergavenny Rd) and a garden centre ( with ski chalet type restaurant) in Melton Mowbray.
Neither expected you to eat there, but I’m glad we did.

At only £28, the 2019 edition of the Brit Stops book contains details of over 970 hosts who are all looking forward to meeting Britstoppers. Clear and simple to use (see a sample page here) the book features country pubs, farm shops, vineyards, breweries, craft / antiques centres, etc. all offering an invitation through the Brit Stops scheme to stay overnight in your motorhome or campervan in a safe environment - free of charge! These are not camp sites, so won't have shower blocks or overnight toilet facilities, but you do get a pleasant stopover somewhere off the road, and a bit different.

Screenshot (46).png

Why would hosts allow us to stay on their property for free? What's the catch?

One reason is that they do not have to provide any facilities over and above a parking space! However Brit Stops hosts are also passionate about the local produce they offer to the public, and the more visitors they have the better the chance they have of spreading the word about fresh, sustainable produce. Although they will not oblige you to buy from their shops, they are confident that when you see the quality of their wares and experience the personal service offered by the producer/retailer, you will find it difficult not to purchase! Even if you do not buy anything your positive experience will be spread, and this will bring more customers. The only thing you may be charged for (and you may not, but don't forget to ask) is electricity if it is provided.

Screenshot (47).png

I really don`t understand how a scheme can advertise something " free of charge " then expect you to pay for it irrespective of whether it`s morally right or not.

[...]
I really don`t understand how a scheme can advertise something " free of charge " then expect you to pay for it irrespective of whether it`s morally right or not.
I suspect it's because "free of charge obligation" is a condition for listing in BS.

When I approached an excellent pub stop in Cornwall to ask for permission to list in WC, they were reluctant at first because of their experience as a BS host; I suspect they'd had it up to the teeth with freeloaders. The pub in question offers a large camping field and toilets for customers but they had to offer these facilities for free to get listed in BS, even though they really wanted to attract touring customers. Once I explained that a listing in WC was free for them and they were not obliged to provide facilites to freeloaders as a WC pub stop, they were happy for Chris to add them to the database.

No doubt the BS sales people hint that a listing in the book will bring them untold wealth, and that hardly anyone would expect to stay for free, it's just marketing.

The reality however....

Important:

1. The book is valid till the end of Feb 2020 and a new book will need to be ordered then for use after that date. See our FAQ for more info.

I don’t get this bit about having to order another book feb 2020.

If you want the most recent list you need the new book.
With the book you get a current year windscreen sticker.
Their website says
"In order to protect our hosts from unwanted stopovers by non-members, it is important to display a valid Brit Stops windscreen sticker. This reassures them that you have read and accepted the Code of Conduct."

Using britstops without current sticker makes you a 'freeloader' and we dont want that do we? 😀

Last edited:
If you want the most recent list you need the new book.
With the book you get a current year windscreen sticker.
Their website says
"In order to protect our hosts from unwanted stopovers by non-members, it is important to display a valid Brit Stops windscreen sticker. This reassures them that you have read and accepted the Code of Conduct."

Using britstops without current sticker makes you a 'freeloader' and we dont want that do we? 😀

I would hardly say that forking out over £30 (inc postage) for the book makes you a free loader.
As for the sticker, I know where I would like to stick that.

My point is that if you don't buy the new book and get the sticker but rely on an old book as questioned you run the risk of being considered a "freeloader".
I expect the businesses pay a fee for inclusion as well.

My point is that if you don't buy the new book and get the sticker but rely on an old book as questioned you run the risk of being considered a "freeloader".
I expect the businesses pay a fee for inclusion as well.

Yes Mark, but they are at it with the sticker.
Since when has a sticker telling landlords that you have forked out another £30 for the latest guide made you a better Motorhomer.

And to go back to where we started Britstop is a no obligation no charge scheme.

Of course, but (the businesses) "are confident that when you see the quality of their wares and experience the personal service offered by the producer/retailer, you will find it difficult not to purchase! "

So as I don't buy or subscribe to Brit Stops but phone in advance and introduce myself and ask permission to stay on a pub carpark and Always buy drinks ( please note the plural) and food if I arrive early enough I'm still to be classed as a Freeloader?.
We always phone in advance and ask permission to stay if for any reason that was declined we would reply thanks very much ad find somewhere else. No probs and no animosity. We regularly come across people i.e motorhomers who brag that they have spent 3 weeks away and never paid for a site or bought a meal at a pub etc as they can carry everything that they need.
Next time you go out count how many so called stealth vans you see with chimneys sticking out of their roofs.
On googling motorhome hire I found a few Scottish motorhome hire companies advertising that they supplied details of Free Wildcamping spots including pubs etc, o what Impression does this give the hirer who probably thought that he or she was getting a cheap holiday?
Sorry peeps I've had Motorhomes and camper vans for the last 40 years and I'm passionate about my chosen pastime. I'll get off my soap box and crawl back into my corner. I'm not a Freeloader never have been and never will be if I stay any where for free I always use local businesses etc.

So as I don't buy or subscribe to Brit Stops but phone in advance and introduce myself and ask permission to stay on a pub carpark and Always buy drinks ( please note the plural) and food if I arrive early enough I'm still to be classed as a Freeloader?.

Absolutely not freeloading. Pub stops don't need to be britstops, only as you describe.

. I'm not a Freeloader never have been and never will be if I stay any where for free I always use local businesses etc.

Same, And I hope to be able to continue!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back