Pub stop mis-use

Not sure if the OP pub phone around was from Bristops listed places or not, doesn't say so, so different obligations.

Last edited:
I've never used a pub stop as has been said more expensive than many sites but I do use French Passion sites quite often always making a purchase as whats on offer I'd use anyway. But a lot of people do the same at these sites stay the night then do a runner without making a purchase which will eventually ruin it for everyone

The fact that i choose not to use the pub seems to make me a freeloading scrounger and they are more than will to point that out however ........

I'm reading this as you sleep in a pub car park, but don't use the pub - forgive me if that's not correct, but if it is I've said my piece about how people doing this are ruining it for everyone else and I can't blame the landlords.

Wooie1958 said:
You never hear me calling all the members who use the pubs every night alcoholic pissheads so why do they call me for not wishing to use them.

If someone chooses to stop at a pub for a meal and a few beers it makes them neither an alcoholic or a pisshead. And it's also irrelevant to this discussion as they are contributing to the business that has been kind enough to provide them with a parking space for the night.

Not sure if the OP pub phone around was from Bristops listed places or not, doesn't say so, so different obligations.

I don't have a britstop book, so no idea if the ones I have been speaking to are in there. One was on the POI's here, and the others I've just been looking on google maps.

I've never used a pub stop as has been said more expensive than many sites

The thing to remember is for us, eating out at a pub is something we would do anyway. Not having to work out how to get there and home is the draw to parking in the carpark, as well as being near whatever we might be doing the day after.

I would not dream of using a pub car park for overnighting unless I was intending to eat there. We stop at pubs quite frequently but am sorry to say that as our attitude is not universally shared then I am reluctant to post them. Landlords allow you to overnight because they hope for your custom. It won't take many to not play the game before they say no motorhomes.

I would not dream of using a pub car park for overnighting unless I was intending to eat there. We stop at pubs quite frequently but am sorry to say that as our attitude is not universally shared then I am reluctant to post them. Landlords allow you to overnight because they hope for your custom. It won't take many to not play the game before they say no motorhomes.

Spot on mate..... And frankly why the hell should they?

As i said earlier, stopping in a, pub carpark for the two of us, isn't the cheapest stop by far...

BUT Being able to eat/drink somewhere we want to AND not have to pfaff with taxis etc is VERY VERY worth while...
And frankly shouldn't be abused IMHO.

Though as usual there are a small element that wishes to freeload and attempt to get owt for nowt.

We have heard a few tales of MHs using the Britstop book and then not buying anything as the book says you don't have to. One landlord we spoke to was so pissed off with one woman who quoted him chapter and verse about not having to purchase ANYTHING he told her to leave.

Trouble is the few spoiling it for the many. We always check TripAdvisor first to see what they are like. We have had deep fried lamb chops in burnt oil at one place.

Last edited:
IMO, when you park up at a pub or any other business-owned parking space, you occupy parking intended for that business's customers. If you're not a customer, you have no right to park there unless that business has given permission (e.g. via a scheme that we're not permitted to cite or explicitly).

If it were about cost, we'd always wild camp or use a CL rather than a pub stop because a meal for two and a couple of jars apiece costs a lot more than most CL pitch fees (and you can pump and dump at a CL). Having a meal or at least a few jars is a treat -- part of the holiday for us -- and we would not be in a lawful position to have a couple of drinks unless the pub allowed us to overnight. We always phone ahead (as much to book a table as to check we're OK to overnight) and let the staff know when we've arrived.

FWIW, I can understand why a pub with limited parking might turn away motorhomes, but not those with massive car parks. That said, enforcing a 'customers only' policy makes sense no matter what size the car park!

We have been talking about doing a night out at a pub and it made me think about this thread...

I do hope the one we have our eye on lets us stay when I ring them :)

A lot might depend on whe you plan to arrive - a pub car park has no real value after 10pm until 10 am the next day so ought to be free.

A lot might depend on whe you plan to arrive - a pub car park has no real value after 10pm until 10 am the next day so ought to be free.

Sorry Mark, but that comment beggars belief.
Any property owner has the right to charge for parking on their land.
It does not matter when you arrive or leave.
Quite frankly anyone who thinks it’s ok to expect free parking on private ground, should have their driveways parked up by strangers in big white things.

It’s important that we come across as decent reasonable people, not freeloaders.
Things are bad enough thanks to over zealous councils, and a minority of us behaving badly, giving the rest a bad name. Hence barriers and signage going up every day.

I and my better half very frequently use pub stops, mainly Britstops and we never buy food apart from crisps, because my other half suffers multiple food intolerance reactions from gluten to ice cubes made from normal tap water. The main benefit of the travelling in a motorhome is all meals are carefully controlled and guaranteed, including using special bottled water. However, we always visit the pub to buy drinks and at least make a contribution for the 'free' night stay.

I said
'A lot might depend on whe you plan to arrive - a pub car park has no real value after 10pm until 10 am the next day so ought to be free"

I've had some flak so here's what I was getting at:
Landowners do have a right to charge and we have a choice about paying.
My point is that they don't charge during the day and I would always ask permission before staying but would definitely think twice if asked for a specific fee.

Sorry mark no flak intended by myself.
Just trying to make a point.
I bang on all the time about how I think we are treated.
It pisses me off when councils ban us, and put up barriers.
So it’s important that when we park up we try not to upset others.
If I owned a pub, and found a Motorhome parked up for the night,
I would not be pleased, and the Motorhomer would have set a poor example.
It’s paramount that we set a good example, and don’t take hospitality for granted.

Again I apologise if you thought I was giving you flak Mark, never intended.

I said
'A lot might depend on whe you plan to arrive - a pub car park has no real value after 10pm until 10 am the next day so ought to be free"

I've had some flak so here's what I was getting at:
Landowners do have a right to charge and we have a choice about paying.
My point is that they don't charge during the day and I would always ask permission before staying but would definitely think twice if asked for a specific fee.

Would you expect to be able to sit in a resteraunt and eat your own food etc for free just because it was closed?

To be honest I'm more than happy to eat and drink myself daft in a pub in exchange for a night's stop over....
Possibly that's because
A. I like pubs
B. I like food
C. I like being away in the van
D. It's massively convenient to be able to have a meal and a few beers without having to get a taxi home....

Frankly IF there was an additional charge to park I'd probably pay it... Just to be able to enjoy all the above.

I'd suggest IF anyone is looking at pub stops as a money saving exercise....
Forget it go and find a layby before pub owners catch on and stop letting those of us happy to contribute to their BUSINESS income stop.

Would you expect to be able to sit in a resteraunt and eat your own food etc for free just because it was closed?

To be honest I'm more than happy to eat and drink myself daft in a pub in exchange for a night's stop over....
Possibly that's because
A. I like pubs
B. I like food
C. I like being away in the van
D. It's massively convenient to be able to have a meal and a few beers without having to get a taxi home....

Frankly IF there was an additional charge to park I'd probably pay it... Just to be able to enjoy all the above.

I'd suggest IF anyone is looking at pub stops as a money saving exercise....
Forget it go and find a layby before pub owners catch on and stop letting those of us happy to contribute to their BUSINESS income stop.

Running pubs is hard work, and those who run them are only trying to make a living. Many fail and have to close. We cannot expect something for nothing, and we should be willing to pay our way.

We often stop in pub car parks,
We always phone ahead, ask permission and if ok book a table for a meal,
The way we look at it is, it might work out slightly more than stopping on a camp site, but by the time you buy food, buy alcohol, cook it, wash up and tidy away,,,it’s a hell of a lot more convenient and cheaper going to the pub.
We can’t afford to do that every time, and wouldn’t want to, but we enjoy treating ourselves when we can

I've phoned a lot of pubs lately (half a dozen ish) and am starting to get the same story.

Either a flat no, or they are charging to stay in the car park, irrespective of you having booked a meal.

And the reason is always the same - people taking the p!ss.

So thanks to the free loading lot for ruining something we quite enjoy. :mad2:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back