Pros and Cons of Fulltiming

Nabsim & NZ - is this the sort of thing that might be useful for treating water to make it safe as opposed to filtering it?

If so, and the auction price doesn't go mad, maybe a bargain for someone? :)

HW Biocide Water Additive

Hey MSG,
I’m my opinion NO !,
You really want to be Filterering your Raw water, Not nessasarily adding stuff to it. If you constantly use Questionable Raw water sources have a UV tube fitted after your filter system in the last tube before the Fresh water tank.
They’re Getting cheaper every year & are very small, easy to fit & apart from checking & Changing the Bulb Maintenance free. (I don’t use UV lamp any more, I just Filter).

Full Timing

Please excuse my ignorance (new)
but what is EHU ?

As it reads in the title.
April 1st to Sept 30th (or very near) we use the MH 100%.

Yes rainy days can be a problem but we just find somewhere suitable and sit it out.
This is helped by the fact that time-scale is not usually an issue.
Towards the end of September the nights draw in so we use a camp-site for EHU.
The rest of the summer we simply do not need EHU even though we only have 1 LB and 1 (120W) solar panel.

We are fortunate/well setup in that we make other arrangements for the winter.
We have lived like this now for 3 summers and yes IT IS GREAT.
I would not choose to full-time in the winter as even southern Europe (and North Africa) have less daylight and cold nights in mid-winter.
Yes very "wimpy"

• Problems & difficulties
Doctor, dentist, hospital appointments (parking)
Shopping in large towns (parking really)
Parking (again) when visiting friends in their homes (we seem to be unlucky in that most of our friends live in small roads with limited parking even for cars.

• Other
Mail is not a problem as I use a very good mail-forwarding agent (Boatmail).
A sensible internet solution is essential.. I use a combination of a Mi-fi device and other available wi-fi

We "wildcamp" as much as possible (80%)
We simply wash clothes by hand on a regular basis and this works well (others will prefer launderettes or camp-site facilities)

NZ is that figure including food? Just thinking if it does it would only cost me half that, have seen your portion sizes ha ha ha

NZ is that figure including food? Just thinking if it does it would only cost me half that, have seen your portion sizes ha ha ha

Hi ya Nab,
Yeah it does include ‘Most’ my food, but Maybe not for Coffee’s & Cheeky Donuts in a Village Cafes though so you can probably add say £700 per month to those figures, As some might know I do forage & Take Veg & Meat From Land On Witch I have permission to do so, More often than not I work for a day or so in return for my park up / Permission & to fill my cupboards. I have recently just completed my ‘North Circle’ Route as I Call it - headed to Morcome & the West Coast area for a bit & then Moving East along the Borderlands then Down to the Midlands areas taking about 5 weeks.
Basically I have cultivated & try to constantly manage my Contacts Up & Down the country in various areas that gives mutual benefit from Visits in the way of supplying Labour for Permission for Parkups & of course the Stocking up of The Nests cupboards.
It kinda works for my lifestyle!.
Stay safe out there people.

good to see a post from you NZ....was beginning to think you may have fallen over the edge of the earth.........lol.....take care

My Figures are in !!.
This is a rough summary of My costs of Shuffling & Trying to Tread the ‘Right’ side of the Legal line as best I can, & i can say it is DEFINITELY going up financially in some areas & is getting Harder to achieve my chosen lifestyle a cross the board for one reason or another.
Road Tax,
Vehicle insurance, (Breakdown, Windshield, Ect)
MOT Test,
Fuel,
Servicing Ware n Tear,
Spares, Repairs, Replacements & Improvments.
Phone & Interwebby,
Cider,
Enterence Fees, Meals Out, Entertainment.
Passport renewal,
Driving License Renewal,
Clothes, Boots,
Donuts,
Average of 15 ‘Paid Site Night’ Stop overs per year.
Ferries, (Scotland & Ireland Trips)
Gas, Multi Fuel Stove Fuel, Petrol.
Food, Drink,
I’m running at around the £8000 mark spent for the last Year / 14 months or so, & have actually been Stationary for 6 months of that time, 3 months EARLY last year in Cornwall & again for the last 3 months in North Yorkshire (Due to my Work commitments !). But other years I have been almost constantly on the move staying at 215 DIFFERENT park ups in a single year at one point so probably a good average for the figures since Jan 2015.
Ok This year The Nest has had a New Alternator, & a COMPLETELY New Break replacement & overall on ALL 6 wheels, including All Cylinders, Pads, Shoes & Handbrake Cables as well. So That lot was well over £1000 !. Then bought 6 new water Filters, New Exterior Screen cover that lot racked up another say £500. OH YESSS I also got New Battery, Overhauled the Gas Locker, & Gave The Nest a Complete External Cosmetic Face lift last February, So THATS another £600. So there’s over £2000 !. Check out previous posts on this thread for other expenditures over the previous years if you’re board at some point.
Soooo
£8000 dividend by the last 14 months equals some £570 PCM.
(This is shy of my FIRST 18 months Aboard at an Average TOTAL spend of £600 PCM.
Followed by the next 14 Months at a TOTAL spend of £450 PCM.)
Soooo in round figures £25,000 over 46 months equals say 545 PCM TOTAL EXPENDITURE as a Full Time Livaboard with a cross section average of what it entails for my personal lifestyle choice !.
But this Next year is going to be a lot cheaper me thinks.
So I’m expecting that it hits my more realistic & Budgeted monthly allowance of around the £500 PCM mark

(Me Hopes anyway !)

NZ - with regard the 'years' you've been doing this and the issues I'm having with insurance - what do you actaully tell them ref - your 'permanent address' and where the vehicle will be 'mostly' parked 'overnight' and when you are not 'using it'????? How can you answer 'on a driveway or garage or road at your place of residence' if it is being 'parked' all over the country every night??? I think I will give AIB a ring but would like to know if they ask you this as all the ones I've spoken to so far have asked me those questions - and what I tell them ain't gonna be the truth! How do we get round it??:rulez::eek:

NZ - with regard the 'years' you've been doing this and the issues I'm having with insurance - what do you actaully tell them ref - your 'permanent address' and where the vehicle will be 'mostly' parked 'overnight' and when you are not 'using it'????? How can you answer 'on a driveway or garage or road at your place of residence' if it is being 'parked' all over the country every night??? I think I will give AIB a ring but would like to know if they ask you this as all the ones I've spoken to so far have asked me those questions - and what I tell them ain't gonna be the truth! How do we get round it??:rulez::eek:

Bottom line is,
Be as Truthful as you can, Not that you wher going to, But it’s not going to be in your interest to ‘Lie’ in my opinion it’s just not worth it.
Speaking for myself I have got insurance for use all year around.
I simply use my vehicle all year around, if say I needed to put it on the drive way of the address I have it registered to for any reason ......Then I can, & I will, it’s no biggie.
Do what’s right for you, but make sure your properly coverd for your lifestyle choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes

You have to be honest
OR you might get a claim denied

Comfort ask if you are on the electoral roll at the address you use for the Vehicle etc
This can be a problem with mailforwarding addresses

So check this
"Even if you do not live there provided you have a connection it is possible"
Home | Your Vote Matters

Hey Guys 😊,
Well,,,it’s been a Wet n Windy cpl of Weeks & I’m going to take FULL advantage of my brimming fresh water tanks as a result.
I'm in a nice secluded park up, it’s a lovely day, No one is around sooo I’m going to Open all the Doors & Windows, light ‘Nesty’ (My Multi Fuel Stove) in Preparation for later as it’s ‘Clothes Washing Day’.
Air My Mattress, Change the Bedding, Towels, Dish Clothes, Tea Towels, Flannels & of course Clothes.
I recon 6 Loads, That’s Around 240lts of water 😳 ! so I for one will be looking forward to more rain Although I have to say I’m by a Clear stream water source so no biggie really, & will obviously fill up & Filter again before I leave tomorrow.
Have a great day guys 😊.

You make a good point Zombie.
The importance of keeping the van aired when fulltiming. Even in the winter every so often I will strip the van of all seating cushions and bedding and take them outside to get the sunshine and fresh air at them if park up is suitably private enough to do so.
When all the cushions are outside it is the perfect opportunity to give the inside a thorough vacuuming and cleaning.

In my 8th Yr of fultiming now. I'm retired & have small house which is rented out. This enables me to live in a relatively new & mechanically sound moho (Rapido 640) which is important to me as my spanner welding days are long gone. I'm solo, did have a dog but she passed earlier this year. I find this life is like any other in that there are good days & bad days. I travel around UK & Europe & now, alongside family visits have other 'new friends'. I rarely use campsites much preferring 'off the beaten track' (certainly off the main roads) countryside & coastal locations. England is certainly the most difficult country in which to pursue this lifestyle purely because it is so busy & crowded. Over the years I've noticed the moho numbers increasing & this has brought problems too as unfortunately any increase brings with it both good &... 'unskilful' moho'ers. The latter being the ones the public seem to judge us by.
Overall though it is a wonderful life. I don't do loneliness but sometimes I get sad. I find mentally that tiredness, cold & hunger are things to avoid & for anyone contemplating the life don't even consider it unless you love driving & I mean' Really love driving, & also have an insane curiosity to see what's around the next bend. 😱🤔😊😊😊

For me the pros are pretty simple. I probably save at least £1,000 a month when you think about rent, council tax and utility bills. So living in my van gives me a lot more options. Currently I’m working full time, but I’m barely spending any of my wages so I don’t really need to work so much if I choose not to. I’m now working so that I can have a nice nest egg and so that unexpected bills don’t ruin me for months at a time.

Cons, well right now I don’t really have any.... I’m still able to do pretty much everything I always did while renting a flat. I have a shower/toilet/kitchen, etc. so I don’t need to worry about the basics. I meet friends for a night out, occasionally have dates, etc. I guess some people would find my living situation weird or off putting but they’re not the kind of people I was interested in meeting anyway.

I think the worst part about living in a van is also one of the best parts. I’m almost never just sitting around at home! I go out to visit places, or to the gym or wherever. I park up just to cook my meals and sleep basically and i enjoy that a lot more than I enjoyed sitting on the sofa watching TV every night.

Personally it all suits me very well, but I’ve never been the type of person who wanted much. As long as I’m not getting wet while I’m sleeping I’m pretty satisfied and a van seems to keep the water out as well as a flat does.

Hi ya Adam 😊
It’s brilliant that you’re making this lifestyle work for you, For the reasons that you want it too.
& long may it last...

Hi ya Adam 😊
It’s brilliant that you’re making this lifestyle work for you, For the reasons that you want it too.
& long may it last...
I’ll let you know how well it’s working when the next MOT comes around! But I can at least afford to get everything looked at and checked early rather than being scared of a massive bill like I was with my car when I was living in a flat!

Laundry day was yesterday for us. Bag brimful full of dirties so had to do it in the rain. Twin tub in the doorstep of the van with the waste pipe to a bucket outside. But we had water available so James had bought several loads of water, well wrapped up in his waterproofs.
Only problem is that it is now drying inside the van… Rooflights all opened a crack for ventilation. It will dry eventually....
In Ankona/Italy waiting for the ferry today to whisk us off to Greece. Hopefully we will find the sun there.
Leisure battery was 99% at start of laundry and only 81% at the end of 4 loads, despite the lack of sun. These twin tubs really are low consumption.

Hi ya CGY,
I store & use my Twin Tub actually in my Shower compartment, i fill with Hot water from the Shower hose & of course it drains straight into the Shower Trey it stands on & on into my Grey tank, I then just empty the grey tank using my water hog on wheels a fair distance away from the stream when full.
As for drying, well THATS why I lit ‘Nesty’ & opened all the Hatches & Windows. 6 loads all washed in 150 minutes & Dried easily By this morning with no condensation & all put away now, I’ve even filled up & filtered my main water tank & reserve cans again & contented smile of achievement on my face while I have my morning coffee,,,,
Yep it’s a good start to my day 😊.

OH,
Can I just put a general shout out to ALL in our community to
‘PRESS & TEST’ the Button on any smoke/Co alarms they have fitted & to check any Fire Extinguishers that’s fitted !.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey CGY and NZ,

Any particular twin tub washing machine recommendations? I could definitely use one of them but didn’t want to risk using too much electricity. Seems like they use less than I thought.....

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back