Pros and Cons of Fulltiming

NZ, you are what I would dare describe as one of life's adventurers, not afraid to move about about and 'take risks', as your average guy in the street would probably say.

Had a rare visit from my nephew last night (lives at a fair distance from us) and was telling him about out plans to full-time.

Got to say his reaction was typical of what I've experienced recently, particularly as I'm now talking openly about full-timing and sharing thoughts and plans with local friends etc.

"You can't just do that, what are you going to do to earn a living?!"
"What happens when you get ill and there's no house to come back to?!"

etc. etc. etc. Zzzzzzzzzz :sleep-040: :sleep-027:

Basically, they're all treating me as if I'm mad!

Plus the OH is also secretly panicking, I can tell... he said the other day "what am I going to do with my CDs, there's quite a few I don't want to part with?!" I can see it's going to be a long, hard road to educate him in the art of letting go. {sigh} ;)

So, in between firefighting the usual day-to-day cr*p life throws at us all (in my case right now that means getting one old banger of a 16-year old broken Kangoo fixed, thus keeping me on the road earning a bit of dosh, no doubt to pay for its repair bill!), I will also be instructing the estate agent to set the ball rolling this next week.

I guess the only way to do this is to 'fight the fire' of day-to-day with one hand and use my other to try and manage the change of direction - hope I don't sprain both wrists in the process...

Just need to keep putting one foot in front of the other, ey? ;) :D

Your going to get that Marie the negative nancies all throwing all sort of scenarios your way.
Keep doing what your doing and continue to be the driving force in all of this ..keep in mind exactly what you want your end result to be :D

I talk about it all the time and daydream and admire all those that go fulltime. Spending much of my time in the caravan during the winter and commuting to and from work I realised that my home is my sanctuary. That's not to say that one day I don't want to give it all up... as I have already detached from it in many ways..however I have to think long and hard If I gave it up and lived off the proceeds then great but once that money goes ...theres nothing zilch !! we don't have inheritance coming our way on either side so it literally would be 'oh f@xk what do we do now'.

As for 'stuff' ..theres absolutely nothing in this house I would save if it was to vanish off the face of the earth ..my dog a few photos and my dad's ashes.

I admire your drive you seem determined ...

Marie, It’s a very enjoyable and rewarding way of life and you meet some really interesting folk, but please go into it with your eyes wide open. Going liveaboard as a single person is very different to doing it as a couple.

We’ve lived on sailing boats, narrowboats, vans etc. as a couple. I say as a couple because of all the folks we met on our travels the thing that went wrong for most couples was when it was one person’s dream and their partner was ‘dragged along’. I’ve known couples split up over the way of life and seen long term marriages broken, so think really hard and make sure you both want to do it.

I don’t want to put a damper on your dreams, but I also don’t want to see you hurt. If you want a chat, you have my number or pm me.

Your going to get that Marie the negative nancies all throwing all sort of scenarios your way.
Keep doing what your doing and continue to be the driving force in all of this ..keep in mind exactly what you want your end result to be :D

I talk about it all the time and daydream and admire all those that go fulltime. Spending much of my time in the caravan during the winter and commuting to and from work I realised that my home is my sanctuary. That's not to say that one day I don't want to give it all up... as I have already detached from it in many ways..however I have to think long and hard If I gave it up and lived off the proceeds then great but once that money goes ...theres nothing zilch !! we don't have inheritance coming our way on either side so it literally would be 'oh f@xk what do we do now'.

As for 'stuff' ..theres absolutely nothing in this house I would save if it was to vanish off the face of the earth ..my dog a few photos and my dad's ashes.

I admire your drive you seem determined ...
Thanks, Jac, much of it is "needs must"!

When your income is as small as ours it's actually a bit of a no-brainer (well, it seems that way to me, but I could be wrong).

We ARE lucky enough to have two big assets in the form of property - but for anyone who might get carried away thinking we're sitting dead pretty, we aren't talking about London or 'darn sarf' mega money values, these are 2 small run-of-the-mill properties that will always have a ceiling limit on their value, and the combined value of both properties probably wouldn't even buy a square yard in a one bed shoe box down in the Smoke.

Yes, you could live OK on the sales proceeds for a few years - after the taxman has taken a chunk out of it first, especially if you sell main residence and don't quickly put sales proceeds, or a least some of them, back into another brick & mortar "primary home", but ultimately the money would be finite and run out.

Put it this way, it's not what the financiers would advise as a decent 'retirement amount' - whatever they mean by that!

So we (i.e. primarily me pushing it!) are going ahead, but leaning towards renting first as this doesn't feel such a drastic "jumping off a cliff" (and makes Neil feel a bit less panicky!). This gives you a "get-out-of-jail-card-free" if full timing doesn't ultimately work out. I know for certain renting will not be without its trials & tribulations, but at least I'm not new to that particular game. I also know I'd be pretty gutted to admit defeat down the line and have to come back later once we'd left the property behind us, but I'll cross that bridge if or when it shows up. I don't know how any of it it will pan out - who does, it's all in the future - but there's only one damn way to find out!!

PS - I'm hoping I won't be spending too much of any future winters in the cold, Jac!!! ;) :D

Marie, It’s a very enjoyable and rewarding way of life and you meet some really interesting folk, but please go into it with your eyes wide open. Going liveaboard as a single person is very different to doing it as a couple.

We’ve lived on sailing boats, narrowboats, vans etc. as a couple. I say as a couple because of all the folks we met on our travels the thing that went wrong for most couples was when it was one person’s dream and their partner was ‘dragged along’. I’ve known couples split up over the way of life and seen long term marriages broken, so think really hard and make sure you both want to do it.

I don’t want to put a damper on your dreams, but I also don’t want to see you hurt. If you want a chat, you have my number or pm me.

Sound advice Edina, as NZ said earlier, it’s not for everyone & it would be an awful mistake to forge ahead at the cost of your relationship. NZ said before he left that an option might be for you to try it for 6 months over winter & see how you get on, if you can get through a winter, summer is a doddle! Not an easy decision, I know from experience. Tell himself to add all his CD’s to hard drive, SORTED!! Good Luck.

Point very well taken, Chris, thank you.

By deciding to go down the renting route I'm hoping it's belt 'n' braces and not total bridge burning - at least we can come back if it goes belly up!

And believe me, after putting up with Neil 24/7 for over 21 years I'm sure we'll find a way of working round the confines of camper life!

Another iron in my fire is to maybe buy a plot of land to park the camper up - somewhere in the sun, obviously, land is too blinkin' expensive in faded old Brittania ;)

My nephew called last night and the first thing he asked was "Do you want me to see if I can get you an Irish passport?" !! :lol-053:
I do (did) have an Irish mother and Neil has Irish grandparents, so it's a possibility.

Trust me folks - if our relationship was going to go belly up it would have done so long ago, and for far worse reasons than sharing the restrictions of camper van llfe! I'm not saying it's impossible, but my gut reaction and understanding says not.

PLUS Neil is on board with this, he decided before Christmas. I may have been nagging him for 5 years but it takes him that long to make a decision about anything. 'Tis a wonder he makes it out of bed every morning!!!

;) :D

Last edited:
Renting your house

Is probably a good first step.
It gives some security. IF you change your plans.
It does not solve the illness problem as you have to give at least 2 months notice.
The other advantage is you get income and increase in value. There are dissdvantages as well.
We are in year 5 and so far all is good and we c
We continue to rent our house.
This despite a few problems.
These have all been sorted by our agent and I suggest getting a good agent is a must.

We believe we will not live in it again but sell and buy another if we need to.
Pm me if you like.

Question:-

Should I get a little trailer tent to tow, then Neil will have somewhere to go when I send him to the doghouse?

:lol-049::lol-053: :p

Hmm. Maybe that's not a completely daft idea ... :idea: :D

Is probably a good first step.
It gives some security. IF you change your plans.
It does not solve the illness problem as you have to give at least 2 months notice.
The other advantage is you get income and increase in value. There are dissdvantages as well.
We are in year 5 and so far all is good and we c
We continue to rent our house.
This despite a few problems.
These have all been sorted by our agent and I suggest getting a good agent is a must.

We believe we will not live in it again but sell and buy another if we need to.
Pm me if you like.
Phil, I've already been thinking along exactly the same lines... ;)

Here I sit in my van, technically fulltiming but not really, we planned to go full timing, spending our time exploring the world, meeting new people, just living without the burdens of everyday life. Sadly my wife was taken by the dreaded 'C'. For a year after she passed I built the latest van, the hardest thing emotionally I have ever done when it was supposed to be for both of us. After I lost Debbie I took over parenting our foster child, he returned to his birth father at the end of last year, so then I had to go back to 'work' to pay the bills. Debbie's youngest daughter lives with me, with her partner, now her eldest daughter has returned and is sleeping in my bed with her partner, so I sleep in my van on the drive at weekends, and in my truck anywhere in the country during the week, there will always be 'what ifs' cautionary tales, take it from one who has been through the mill, do what you want to do while you can, no one knows what is around the corner.

I am now a long distance truck driver with my mate, unfortunately due to the excessive h&s rules we have to abide by nowadays there are more and more places where he isn't accepted, when that becomes too much to deal with then the house will be rented out and Denzel and I will travel in a van instead of a 44 tonner!

image.jpg
Denzel!

Here I sit in my van, technically fulltiming but not really, we planned to go full timing, spending our time exploring the world, meeting new people, just living without the burdens of everyday life. Sadly my wife was taken by the dreaded 'C'. For a year after she passed I built the latest van, the hardest thing emotionally I have ever done when it was supposed to be for both of us. After I lost Debbie I took over parenting our foster child, he returned to his birth father at the end of last year, so then I had to go back to 'work' to pay the bills. Debbie's youngest daughter lives with me, with her partner, now her eldest daughter has returned and is sleeping in my bed with her partner, so I sleep in my van on the drive at weekends, and in my truck anywhere in the country during the week, there will always be 'what ifs' cautionary tales, take it from one who has been through the mill, do what you want to do while you can, no one knows what is around the corner.

I am now a long distance truck driver with my mate, unfortunately due to the excessive h&s rules we have to abide by nowadays there are more and more places where he isn't accepted, when that becomes too much to deal with then the house will be rented out and Denzel and I will travel in a van instead of a 44 tonner!
Thanks for that lovely, heartfelt post, ashbyspannerman

(I've now got salt in my morning cup of coffee, yuk!:) ).

I am always blown away by people's back stories, where they've been & what they've done, and how life often deals some cr*ppy hands out to those who least deserve it.

When we finally get on the road maybe we can meet up for a cuppa with you & Denzel at one of your regular pitstops.

Sounds like you're doing a grand job & I'm sure your Debbie is proud of you - I believe those who've gone are still there looking over our shoulders keeping an eye out ;)

Today is A FOWL Day Weather wise, Strong & Hard GUSTING winds Shaking & Rocking The Nest & absolutely THROWING it down in sheets with ICEY Rain...(Not quite Hail but close).

Now some may Take a day like today as a Horrible Negative, But NOPE,,,The Water Tanks Are Full To the Brim Thanks To thease conditions, I’m in an out the way & Suitible Park Up, No one is about at all, The Multi Fuel Stove is on & Burning away Nicely, & Because There’s going to be NO let up in the Weather any time soon,
6F2EAD8E-56EB-4653-8C0F-762249F78C26.jpg
it means LOADS more Water to come, So this means-
It’s GOT to be Clothes & Bedding Washing Day, as each load in the Washing Machine takes 45lt of water (& around 25 Minuets). 4 Loads should do it, & I will have Clean & Dry Clothes, Bedding & even a Fresh smelling Dressing Gown With the certainty of Full water Tanks again by Tomorrow morning !.
So it’s actually A GOOD DAY for a Smelly Zombie!

Last edited by a moderator:
Today is A FOWL Day Weather wise, Strong & Hard GUSTING winds Shaking & Rocking The Nest & absolutely THROWING it down in sheets with ICEY Rain...(Not quite Hail but close).

Now some may Take a day like today as a Horrible Negative, But NOPE,,,The Water Tanks Are Full To the Brim Thanks To thease conditions, I’m in an out the way & Suitible Park Up, No one is about at all, The Multi Fuel Stove is on & Burning away Nicely, & Because There’s going to be NO let up in the Weather any time soon,
View attachment 63002
it means LOADS more Water to come, So this means-
It’s GOT to be Clothes & Bedding Washing Day, as each load in the Washing Machine takes 45lt of water (& around 25 Minuets). 4 Loads should do it, & I will have Clean & Dry Clothes, Bedding & even a Fresh smelling Dressing Gown With the certainty of Full water Tanks again by Tomorrow morning !.
So it’s actually A GOOD DAY for a Smelly Zombie!
Always look at the positive side of things.

Is the hen doing the washing ?

:dance:

Always look at the positive side of things.

Is the hen doing the washing ?

:dance:

No,,,Her Arms ain’t long enough as we are about 50 mile apart lol lol lol. Besides She is only in Training & hasn’t risen to the dizzy Hights of Level 3 yet & therefore isn’t quite use to This Life & it’s Quirks of doing things a bit differently in a confined space with smaller equipment (Yep I went there !).
Shes got a MASSIVE 8 or 9kg Washing Machine in her Kitchen that I could Park The Nest in TWICE over, With all the BIG N even BIGGER ‘Stuff’ that is then of course Needed to Fill said space like Double Doored American style Fridge, 5 Or 6 Burner Range Style Cooker With Double Oven, Only seen it a few times but Oh it makes me Cringe.
Lol lol lol

Last edited by a moderator:
No,,,Her Arms ain’t long enough as we are about 50 mile apart lol lol lol. Besides She is only in Training & hasn’t risen to the dizzy Hights of Level 3 yet & therefore isn’t quite use to This Life & it’s Quirks of doing things a bit differently in a confined space with smaller equipment (Yep I went there !).
Shes got a MASSIVE 8 or 9kg Washing Machine in her Kitchen that I could Park The Nest in TWICE over, With all the BIG N even BIGGER ‘Stuff’ that is then of course Needed to Fill said space like Double Doored American style Fridge, 5 Or 6 Burner Range Style Cooker With Double Oven, Only seen it a few times but Oh it makes me Cringe.
Lol lol lol
Well keep up the good work, the rain does not look as bad as they forecast, and look forward to sunshine tomorrow.

:wave:

NZ, most important - never mind the weather or the washing, have you got plenty of doughnuts & coffee in stock?!

Keep warm & dry.

It's sunshining up here with a very strong wind but no wet stuff. I think weather forecast said we're going to miss out on a soaking, but down south has weather warnings - a month's rain in a day etc.

Hope you've serviced your outboard motor, NZ! :boat: :wave:

yes,
LOTS & LOTS, & it’s ALL MINE !
So Eyes off !!.

Right all that’s done, around 180 lt of water used, So time for a Shave & a Shower & then let the Weather n Gravity do it’s job to Fill up the Tanks again over night as i grab an early Night !.

yes,
LOTS & LOTS, & it’s ALL MINE !
So Eyes off !!.

Right all that’s done, around 180 lt of water used, So time for a Shave & a Shower & then let the Weather n Gravity do it’s job to Fill up the Tanks again over night as i grab an early Night !.
NZ these women know when you have doughnuts, keep your doors locked,

:wave:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back