Possible Permitted Overnight Parking in Whitby

As s former ratepayer to Scarborough council, I have been critical in the past of their antics and “tourist prevention officers” attitude towards visitors .

What is often overlooked in the case of Whitby (and Filey) is the residents themselves are oppressed by SBC . give or take Whitby to Scarborough is just shy of 20 miles. the decision making processes equally 20 miles away and the locals with justification feel the poor relatives investment and policy concentrates around the town of Scarborough itself no where else matters

It is no different to this area which falls under Kirklees there is a strong resentment that Huddersfield receives all the spoils and Dewsbury if lucky gets a few scraps..

Of course it happens all over the country, but worth considering it isn’t the townsfolk of Whitby itself that has created problems in The past before we write off the town completely.

The car park suggested, is quiet enough , not surrounded by local hotels etc who could raise possible objections or campsites arguing a conflict of interest. A taxi to and fro the town centre will see change from a fiver each way and allows folk to have a drink or two if visiting the hostelries in the town. Oh and taxis are part of the local economy .

In the longer term if the idea is successful then who knows the calendar may be extended ? In either event the proposal is more than we have at the moment

TBH I think Scarborough Council dug there own hole over the past few years by not wanting motorhomes anywhere near there towns , I for one wont be going or give them any of my pennies , I will go to towns that has welcomed us such as St Annes and Fleetwood

Hi Jeff, It's wotth remembering that the welcome in Fleetwood came about because the council initially introduced regulations banning us. The usual reason – numerous complaints about us (there were none; actually four in three years, I tthink, about parking, none about motorhomes).

The arguments disputing the Wyre Borough Council off-street parking orders were successful - resulting in a one year trial in limited places. It was all documented here and there were those who said they would refuse to go there – wouldn't be seen dead there. No mistake though – the Fleetwood permissions came about because of a disputing of their initial prohibition. I'm not sure how the St Annes permission came about.

The Whitby proposals may come to nothing but this could become a valuable asset to us and another example we can use, if successful, for other projects in other places. Like you're using Fleetwood as an example now. Plenty of towns very much reliant on tourism. An opportunity?

As s former ratepayer to Scarborough council, I have been critical in the past of their antics and “tourist prevention officers” attitude towards visitors .

What is often overlooked in the case of Whitby (and Filey) is the residents themselves are oppressed by SBC . give or take Whitby to Scarborough is just shy of 20 miles. the decision making processes equally 20 miles away and the locals with justification feel the poor relatives investment and policy concentrates around the town of Scarborough itself no where else matters

It is no different to this area which falls under Kirklees there is a strong resentment that Huddersfield receives all the spoils and Dewsbury if lucky gets a few scraps..

Of course it happens all over the country, but worth considering it isn’t the townsfolk of Whitby itself that has created problems in The past before we write off the town completely.

The car park suggested, is quiet enough , not surrounded by local hotels etc who could raise possible objections or campsites arguing a conflict of interest. A taxi to and fro the town centre will see change from a fiver each way and allows folk to have a drink or two if visiting the hostelries in the town. Oh and taxis are part of the local economy .

In the longer term if the idea is successful then who knows the calendar may be extended ? In either event the proposal is more than we have at the moment

Thanks Channa, It's worth remembering, too, that the restrictions in Whitby were extended not too long ago because of around a thousand complaints from residents – the counci said. The councl was not able to produce one. Not one!

The reason why the council could lnot produce even one was, the council said, that they received thousands of complaints and their filing systems could not isolate those about motorhome parking.

It was documented here on Wild Camping.

The people of Whitby have never complained about us in any form the council has been able to produce

2020-06-18_070227.png

So this proposal is from an "Ex Council Member" Shame they werent so welcoming in the recent past banning all Motorhomes and Campervans in the Car Parks.I suppose if people are out buying Campervans and Motorhomes due to Staycations then these new owners wont know of past shannanigans with the Council and probably will visit in their vans.Many Like myself who know whats happened in the past will stay well clear of Whitby and other places that have banned us and will go to somewhere that has welcomed us with open arms.These are the places that deserve our cash.

Maybe this ex councilor was welcoming, do you know how this this ex councilor voted at meetings. Where exactly are you "welcomed with open arms" and not just merely tolerated.
To me any alteration in any council policy that is a benefit to us should be encouraged. Whitby has never banned campervans/ motorcaravans. I have always found somewhere to park

It looks like we will be welcome in the winter, but not in the spring and summer ?
we Used to love going to Whitby but I think I will now spend my money where I am welcome all year round

Unless things change, and change soon, soon there will be hardly anywhere where we will be welcomed. Attitudes on both sides must change. We have to show people that we are not a bunch characters hell bent on simply freeloading our way from place to place. Unfortunately in this country and sadly within our own community, there is an attitude that we are not much better than travellers. We are not seen for what we actually are. People who in their latter years wish to enjoy the freedom that retirement from work offers. We after contributing so much to our country simply wish our country to recognise us for what we are, not what an active minority wish them to think. It’s a real shame that organisations that could and should support their own members subscribe to this rubbish, but as we seen in the CCC magazine last month they do.

I see this development in Whitby although only for six months of the year as a positive development, to be grasped with both hands. An opportunity to prove the misinformed wrong, and to show the public and those running the council who we really are.

Well I welcome the decision small steps and all that if it goes through I will go and as far as I am aware there is another access to the town for disabled scooters/wheelchairs that brings you out on church St at the back of the harbour, but let’s hope those that do use it are not going to start getting out the chairs and bbqs because that’s the issue it’s not the parking it’s the turning every carpark into a campsite that spoils it for everyone You only have to look at the sea life centres carpark in Scarborough.

Maybe this ex councilor was welcoming, do you know how this this ex councilor voted at meetings. Where exactly are you "welcomed with open arms" and not just merely tolerated.
To me any alteration in any council policy that is a benefit to us should be encouraged. Whitby has never banned campervans/ motorcaravans. I have always found somewhere to park

I have NO KNOWLEDGE who this person is only from what I found after clicking the Link on the OP posting, you could do the same and get the same information as I did.Several areas in the UK are accomodating to motorhomes and are not just tolerating us..They even have marked motorhome bays in the Council Car Parks.If they were just "TOLERATING US" as you put it they wouldnt go to the trouble of marked bays.Correct me if im wrong but I thought Whitby HAD BANNED MOTORHOMES. And the Marina Car Park allowed Motorhomes if you owned a Boat in the Marina Only.

An article copied from a local Newspaper
decision has been made about motorhome owners parking overnight in Whitby.

Overnight parking bans will be implemented on the 1st of August to Endeavour Wharf and Battery Parade.

But an amendment was approved for those who use Whitby Marina's car park.

During today's cabinet meeting, Councillor Mike Cockerill said:

"In regards to the Marina users car park, and I'm emphasizing its Marina users.
Motor caravans are only allowed to park within the clear marked Marina car park.
This would mean that motor caravans belonging to permit holders are not allowed to park elsewhere if the spaces allocated are all taken.
And that the owners of such motor caravans are required to leave their curtains open to show that they're not being used for camping."
Councillor Sandra Turner said:

"We've got to taken into consideration that the boat owners do pay for the permits and they do need access to their boats.
And not all of us own just cars, some people own a motorhome for normal everyday use.
So including the amendment, that would address that issue, so I would quite be happy to support that."
Residents have complained for a couple of years about motorhomes being parked up and ruining views of the harbour.

I have NO KNOWLEDGE who this person is only from what I found after clicking the Link on the OP posting, you could do the same and get the same information as I did.Several areas in the UK are accomodating to motorhomes and are not just tolerating us..They even have marked motorhome bays in the Council Car Parks.If they were just "TOLERATING US" as you put it they wouldnt go to the trouble of marked bays.Correct me if im wrong but I thought Whitby HAD BANNED MOTORHOMES. And the Marina Car Park allowed Motorhomes if you owned a Boat in the Marina Only.

Overnight parking bans will be implemented on the 1st of August to Endeavour Wharf and Battery Parade.

Residents have complained for a couple of years about motorhomes being parked up and ruining views of the harbour.
Well put, I tolerate idiots sometimes, and folk who cannot utter a sentence without swearing, or who need a shower. We are not asking to be pampered either, another common comment on here. It’s car drivers with no toilets, and no facilities that need to be pampered and they are. Are car drivers tolerated, no they are not. They are provided for with parking places, toilets and even running water and showers sometimes. I don’t want to be tolerated or pampered, just treated with the same respect as everyone else.

Views of the harbour

Motorhomes are allowed to park In the car park further on from the co-op during the day.
The issue is overnight parking........it's dark.......you can't see a motorhome or anything else for that matter.

Views of the harbour

Motorhomes are allowed to park In the car park further on from the co-op during the day.
The issue is overnight parking........it's dark.......you can't see a motorhome or anything else for that matter.

Arent all nights Dark "in theory" so are you suggesting if you overnighted you wouldnt be seen?

How very welcoming, allowing you to park up out of town, so you can come spend your cash, oh but only in winter, we don’t want you parking up and visiting in the summer months when we have enough tourists without you. Don’t think so, but then it’s not high on my list of places to revisit anyway.
Whitby is so busy in the summer would you really want to go there then anyway?

There is a massive difference between saying Whitby has banned motorhomes. which they haven't, To saying motorhomes can't park overnight in a relatively few places.
I wonder why the council thought they needed to take such action.

download.jpg

There is a massive difference between saying Whitby has banned motorhomes. which they haven't, To saying motorhomes can't park overnight in a relatively few places.
I wonder why the council thought they needed to take such action.

View attachment 83531

Because of complaints. It's always in response to complaints.

Mickeymost referred to the news article saying so in his post earlier. Post number 28. You quoted it.

Asked to produce the complaints the council was unable ot do so = providing evidence of only two complaints over a period of three years up to the report. (Actually three but two of them seemed to be the same complainant repeated).

2020-06-18_203210.png

Because of complaints. It's always in response to complaints.

Mickeymost referred to the news article saying so in his post earlier. Post number 28. You quoted it.

Asked to produce the complaints the council was unable ot do so = providing evidence of only two complaints over a period of three years up to the report. (Actually three but two of them seemed to be the same complainant repeated).

View attachment 83532

And as you know well just because there are no complaints put in writing doesn't mean people haven't complained verbally to the councilors. Many can't be arsed putting pen to paper or emails. Unlike yourself.
Again. There is a massive difference between saying Whitby has banned motorhomes. which they haven't, To saying motorhomes can't park overnight in a relatively few places.

If local government says it is responding to complaints and yet can not quote any ... who is to say there are any? There must have been or the counci would not have said so? I can not accept that. The council says there are complaints so it must have a record - even if reported verbally to, and then recorded by, councillors. I'd be happy to see a record from Councillor X saying he'd received such and such a complaint but, no, there is never any record of complaints. Well, hardly ever.

Lack of accountability that some will accept from councils has led to some alarming injustices. Believe some councils, over many years, and there was no child abuse in several council areas. Lack of transparency led to continuing abuse.

Local government has to be transparent and must account for itself to citizens. If it does not then it has the capacity to become corrupt.

Well, we'll see. The proposals might not come off but so far they seem to have the backing of some influential local poliicians and fairly substantial support from local businesses as well as, over the years, support from residents - sometimes recorded by the press in its comments columns. Then we'll see if the council reports a surge in the numbers of complaints from residents in response to permitted overnight parking. Doesn't have to be much of a surge from two in three years but I don;t think we'lll see one.

I've not been to Whitby or Scarborough since I was stationed in N Yorks in the late 60's but I'd like to go again and I'd like to see the proposals succeeed.

Nitpicking over whether a ban is a blanket ban or just a ban in all car parks and most roads is just nitpicking. There's presently a ban. There's a possibility it might be partially lifted. What's to argue about?

Well this is the email address of Councillor Derek Bastiman mentioned as leader of the Conservative Group mentioned in the article.
mailto:cllr.derek.bastiman@scarborough.gov.uk

Anybody fancy writing to him with words of encouragement? I feel correspondence coming on, but it would be better coming from a ratepayer.

And as you know well just because there are no complaints put in writing doesn't mean people haven't complained verbally to the councilors. Many can't be arsed putting pen to paper or emails. Unlike yourself.
Again. There is a massive difference between saying Whitby has banned motorhomes. which they haven't, To saying motorhomes can't park overnight in a relatively few places.

In MaureenandToms post above your post An Article in the Teeside News states Whitby Council has stopped car parks being used for overnight camping after some complaints.It doesnt say some i/e a few car parks it says car parks. Now if I read that article from afar I would assume by the wording that all car parks in Whitby were out of bounds for Motorhome/Campervan overnight stopovers,and I wouldnt bother visiting hoping for a stopover feeling I would be wasting my time

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back