Poll: Wondering if I am using my motorhome enough to make it worthwhile owning it

How many weeks a year do you use your motorhome for travelling about the place?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Duetto 1999

I have begun to wonder whether I am using my motorhome more or less than the average motorhome owner (if there is such a thing!) excluding full timers for obvious reasons. It seems to me that I have a largish chunk of money sitting on the drive doing nothing for most of the time other than demanding that I tend to its needs and keep it clean. I question whether I am being foolish (more than usual).
I welcome your comments

There is a poll above which might help me work out the answer to my question!
Thanks in advance for your responses

So .......

We generally do 100 nights each year (2020 & 2021 excepted), usually better than 60 and up to about 80 nights in France or Spain.

On our most recent trip the running total for our van from jan 2016 to now passed the 600 night mark and the total use (nights and days) passed 700.

I estimate that our van costs have now fallen to around £94 per night (£47 each). This is purely capital cost divided by number of nights. I don’t bother with running and maintenance costs, but reckon they will be compatible or better than other forms of holiday. The 30 days in France during June cost €3000 for ferry, fuel food etc. A figure I am happy with and in line with previous trips.

Davy

Prior to January this year, when I retired, MH was used when possible, which was not really too often. The way I look at it, we own this big lump outright, it costs what it costs to keep it going and on the road.

Not long returned from 90 day trip around parts of France, been to places I never knew existed, this would not have been possible without our big lump to tour and sleep in, and way below hotel costs per night, it all balances out. It really is down to you to utilise your vehicle when you possibly can.

PS, I wont use the poll, with my circumstances recently changing.

Because it's my dream but it's not my missus' dream so I just accept it's the most I can do.
For over 45 + years it always been my hobby not my husbands so I travelled mostly on my own while he stayed home though he did come with me sometimes and now he is retired he travels with me a lot more but I do still like to go off on my own.

Having it on my drive gives you spontaneous access on a whim. The freedom to go when the time is right or the notion takes us. No having to contact a rental company to see what’s available and when. It’s our personal place where only we live, set up specifically for our requirements. Also they don’t depreciate the way cars do. I will be trading in my van later this year and expect to lose £4000 for 4 years of pleasure.

I've been known to take mine down to my local and sleep in it at the end of the night rather than get a taxi home at the end of the night.

Also, family do's, weddings, funerals or just visiting where I would have had trouble getting a hotel.

I've been known to take mine down to my local and sleep in it at the end of the night rather than get a taxi home at the end of the night.

Also, family do's, weddings, funerals or just visiting where I would have had trouble getting a hotel.
Fabulous idea ,we have just used ours as a removals van ,we moved our sons and his friends belongings ,mostly dirty washing from one student flat to his new one .then had some time in Malton .

We did 195 nights away last year and so far this year are up to 120.

We aim to be away every month of the year and typically for us a year would be:-

Jan-March: 60-65 nights away in Spain

Apr: a week in Gloucestershire visiting friends/rellies

Apr - May: 30 - 35 night trip abroad somewhere (SoF is a favourite although we went to Sicily this year on a longer trip)

Jun - July: 2 - 3 week UK trip before the schools break up (Devon, Cornwall that type of thing)

July - Aug: 2 weeks somewhere in the UK without the risk of there being too many kids about, so adults only sites perhaps

Sept: 30 - 35 nights trip abroad (Belgium, Bavaria and N France this year)

Oct - Dec: 2 trips to Gloucestershire usually with some other places bolted on like Cardiff or Pembrey for example.

Well, good morning and I love all the replies so far - one or two good ideas there too - Thank you.

@trevskoda - I almost never watch the television and I do use our MH - what I am questioning is whether I use it enough to justify its existence.
Got back from France a few weeks ago - 42 days in MH the remainder of the permitted 90 days at our french house.
And booked to go away to friend's daughter's wedding next week.
We do, however, find it much more fun to use on the continent where campsites and aires are in places (Saint Malo for instance) where one finds things of interest to do and see rather than stuck out in the countryside (like most of our campsites) where walking and the local pub seem to be all that is on offer - a cultural difference I suppose. Don't get me wrong I like walking, the countryside and, of course, the pub but I also like art galleries, history, architecture etc. to fill up mind and the days.

@GMJ - I would love to be able to use mine like you use yours. Work intervenes occasionally unfortunately.

We have a mh for about 2 years then go to NZ for 6 months, at this point we sell the mh then buy another on our return. This will go on until health becomes an issue for long haul foreign travel.
Yes, it's expensive but what price do you put on great adventures, wonderful memories and spending 6 months with our only child.
We have both worked extremely hard to enable us to live the life we have chosen and this is now the reward. If we die penniless, so be it, we have had a blast spending the money!
To answer the ops question, we use the mh a lot when in the UK. We also buy a mh in NZ, use it a lot, then sell before our return to Blighty.

We are not mega rich, we live in a modest house, buy 2nd hand mhs and 2nd hand cars.

Oh, a mh has also been our refuge when there have been power cuts on two occasions. On one occasion it lasted 4 days, the temperature was below zero but we were able to keep warm and cook.
Happy days.

Many of life’s big decisions are not financial. Sure, if you can’t afford something don’t do it but other than that it is probably an emotional rather than a financial decision. I doubt I will lie on my deathbed wishing I had left more money in the bank losing value rather than on the drive losing value.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back