Planned speed limits Scotland

Some highly unscientific feedback from 3 months experience of the 20mph law in Wales from me.

I live in rural west Wales and our village has the new 20mph and I have to drive through 2 others to get to Carmarthen or 2 others to get to Llandeilo. My house is on a stretch that is 20mph in our village and our main living room faces out onto that road, so we see a good deal of the traffic going though...

- I'd say approximately 50% of drivers are obeying the new 20mph laws.

- Of those who are not I'd say that overall the speeds have come down to around the old 30mph.

- There is very much a minority of drivers who are still going at in excess of 30mph (including most tractors and delivery vehicles).

- Many of the new 20mph signs have been vandalised with paint being daubed over the 2 in 20!

As I said it's all unscientific and based upon my observations.

For me there is simply no common sense being applied here, but then when it comes to our Scottish government why am I not in the least bit surprised. Apologies for the politics, but this is political after all.

So let’s look at this move towards lowering speed limits in urban areas throughout a whole country to 20mph, and let’s at least attempt to put forward constructive viewpoints, but without presenting them as facts, and behaving in a patronising manner to those who don’t agree with your viewpoint.

This is my viewpoint, they’re not facts, just my opinions.

20mph speed limits being applied carte Blanche throughout a whole nation in urban areas 24/7 seems wrong to me. I am in favour of limited time related lower limits in areas near schools or where 30mph presents issues or even danger to those within those areas. We already have lower speed limits in such areas in Scotland, therefore applying these limits across the whole nation seems wrong to me. Currently these locations stand out as “special“ requiring greater care when driving through them. When the new regulations come into place they will lose their “special “ status, being merely the same as the the rest of the country.

We have been informed by some that being struck by a car at 30mph will be more harmful than 20mph, yet when the same argument is put forward for even lower limits, applying the same logic it’s met with resistance. But let’s look at the other side of this argument, because there is another side.

Try telling a district nurse, a delivery driver, or anyone else who drives primarily within urban areas that driving at 20mph won’t slow you down and make you less productive. We have to remember that our roads are not just used for social use, or for private use were we meet various speed limits and restrictions in our journeys. Some who use our roads do so primarily within urban areas, and they will be affected by these restrictions. The U.K. has one of the least productive, least efficient economies in the western world. These measures will make us even less productive. It makes no sense applying 20mph in all urban areas 24/7 when the kids are in school, or tucked up inside their beds.

Finally, cars today have never been safer to drive. We have better braking systems, better tyres, and many vehicles now including my new van have systems in place for automatic braking in case the driver does not respond quickly enough. So why now are we lowering speed limits. And as technology improves these types of innovations will improve, and we will be lumbering along at 20mph, in vehicles even safer than what we are driving today. Driverless cars, which are immeasurably safer, are just around the corner.

Just my views.

Last edited:
For me there is simply no common sense being applied here, but then when it comes to our Scottish government why am I not in the least bit surprised. Apologies for the politics, but this is political after all.

So let’s look at this move towards lowering speed limits in urban areas throughout a whole country to 20mph, and let’s at least attempt to put forward constructive viewpoints, but without presenting them as facts, and behaving in a patronising manner to those who don’t agree with your viewpoint.

This is my viewpoint, they’re not facts, just my opinions.

20mph speed limits being applied carte Blanche throughout a whole nation in urban areas 24/7 seems wrong to me. I am in favour of limited time related lower limits in areas near schools or where 30mph presents issues or even danger to those within those areas. We already have lower speed limits in such areas in Scotland, therefore applying these limits across the whole nation seems wrong to me.

We have been informed by some that being struck by a car at 30mph will be more harmful than 20mph, yet when the same argument is put forward for even lower limits, applying the same logic it’s met with resistance. But let’s look at the other side of this argument, because there is another side.

Try telling a district nurse, a delivery driver, or anyone else who drives primarily within urban areas that driving at 20mph won’t slow you down and make you less productive. We have to remember that our roads are not just used for social use, or for private use were we meet various speed limits and restrictions in our journeys. Some who use our roads do so primarily within urban areas, and they will be affected by these restrictions. The U.K. has one of the least productive, least efficient economies in the western world. These measures will make us even less productive. It makes no sense applying 20mph in all urban areas 24/7 when the kids are in school, or tucked up inside their beds.

Finally, cars today have never been safer to drive. We have better braking systems, better tyres, and many vehicles now including my new van have systems in place for automatic braking in case the driver does not respond quickly enough. So why now are we lowering speed limits.

Because the issue is never the issue, the issue is always the revolution. :)

Because the issue is never the issue, the issue is always the revolution. :)
You being an ardent revolutionary Mark, I thought you would be in favour of 20mph limits then. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Anyway you old revolutionary, have a good Christmas Mark.

Why ten do we import cars that have very powerfull engines with hight top speeds, no need for 300hp engines with 0 to 60 in seconds, never seen the point in this, 50/60 hp and more torque low down would be better, make them last well and spair parts for many years, to much throw away stuff these days, just greed and ego in my eyes.

Why ten do we import cars that have very powerfull engines with hight top speeds, no need for 300hp engines with 0 to 60 in seconds, never seen the point in this, 50/60 hp and more torque low down would be better, make them last well and spair parts for many years, to much throw away stuff these days, just greed and ego in my eyes.
No thanks!
My first van had 60hp, current one just under 200hp. Driven round Europe in both of them, I'll stick with the current one thanks :p

No thanks!
My first van had 60hp, current one just under 200hp. Driven round Europe in both of them, I'll stick with the current one thanks :p
Not into top speeds, better to have good pulling power up hills and able to pull a trailer, 55mph and good fuel econ is better, im also refering to cars more than vans, our car goes across the road to tesco and no long trips, why would i require 300hp, its got 80 hpand no torque and must be reeved like mad, rather have a low reving pulling car and easy to drive local.

Pedestrians (and a lot of cyclists) need educating on survival instincts!
Judging by my journey home yesterday, pedestrians and cyclists need to learn there are a great number of brain dead morons driving cars, once they've learnt that and realised they shouldn't step outside their doors, then a lot less people will die. :rolleyes:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back