Planned speed limits Scotland

tribute11

20'S PLENTY

Speed limit to change on most roads in Scotland under major driving rule shake-up
The new policy will affect around 90 per cent of roads in
SCOTS are set to see a major change to the speed limit on most of the urban roads across the country under a major driving rule shake-up.
A blanket 20mph is set to be rolled out across 90 per cent of roads in 2025 under new transport plans.

20'S PLENTY

Speed limit to change on most roads in Scotland under major driving rule shake-up
SCOTS are set to see a major change to the speed limit on most of the urban roads across the country under a major driving rule shake-up.
A blanket 20mph is set to be rolled out across 90 per cent of roads in 2025 under new transport plans.
Why not make it 5mph. That way we could all swap our cars for trainers instead. :)

There's a couple of towns near us, and several we pass through in the Borders, where there are already 20 mph limits.

I stick to the limit. It really annoys a lot of people but I figure if that's how they feel, the fewer will be supportive of it to be rolled out more widely.

20'S PLENTY

There will not be 20MPH limited across 90% of roads. That is a daft thing to say or believe 90% of roads in Scotland that anyone is interested in driving on I don't think are Urban unless you maybe include every road on every housing estate and those kind of roads would/should be 20MPH anyway.

The Scottish Borders Council changed all the 30 Zones to 20 a few years ago. That backfired badly and they then, on a frankly ridiculous "safety ground" premise, changed a significant part of the 20MPH roads back to 30MPH limits. (I say 'rediculous' as they didn't admit they were wrong, they just claimed analysis showed that a higher limit was safer).
The only roads in the Borders now that are 20MPH are in the town and village centres and housing estates, and the approaches are back to 30MPH. I would guess the SBC experience may well be rolled out countrywide and that is what this "shake-up" is about?
The original change was rubbish and no one liked it, no one adhered to it and the police did not enforce it. The current revised setup - IMO - is fine and works well.
What it has done in the smaller villages is NOT cut the speed for many drivers down to 20MPH, but it has reduced it down to maybe 30MPH, which while still over the limit, is at least safer than the speeds typically travelled before through them.

20'S PLENTY

I've mixed feelings about the new 20 limits Robert, fine in certain places ridiculous in others.

But as you probably know, whenever I visit Scotland I tend to use few 'Urban' roads so it shouldn't affect me too much. If I have to drive at 20 when driving into Rothiemurchus, Glencoe, Applecross etc. then so be it I can live with that. :)

This situation has come from the green party the same crowd that's wanting gas and oil boilers banned for heat pumps
Time we sent this one packing back to Canada.

It isn’t just Wales and Scotland bringing in 20mph limits, it England as well. I still get Derbyshire County Council newsletters and that said it has been rejected in Buxton and another town I don’t recall. Interesting bit to me it was rejected because a little over 200 (May have been 209) people said no. Buxton has a population over 25,000 so it looks like this may be being brought in almost by the back door.

It isn’t just Wales and Scotland bringing in 20mph limits, it England as well. I still get Derbyshire County Council newsletters and that said it has been rejected in Buxton and another town I don’t recall. Interesting bit to me it was rejected because a little over 200 (May have been 209) people said no. Buxton has a population over 25,000 so it looks like this may be being brought in almost by the back door.
No they have started to bring them in here around belfast city centre and old smithfield market square, santa is bringing me some roller skates im told.

We have had 20mph limits around here for about 20 years, it's nothing new. A story in the papers a few days back about "labour's Drakeford hated 20mph limit" causing 8 speed limit changes in 2 miles, had me checking something, a stretch of road I travel on has 8 speed limit changes in 1.6miles, all due to our ex Tory council.

We have had 20mph limits around here for about 20 years, it's nothing new. A story in the papers a few days back about "labour's Drakeford hated 20mph limit" causing 8 speed limit changes in 2 miles, had me checking something, a stretch of road I travel on has 8 speed limit changes in 1.6miles, all due to our ex Tory council.
I live on a road that has 20mph speed limit and there are a lot of others in Hull. It is the making of all 30mph to 20mph in a town I was referring to, not odd roads. There will be places already like that but I haven’t yet been in one the size of Buxton like that 👍

Can I just add that I think 20 is perfectly reasonable in some places, at some times; for example around schools at times when children are moving about. But not as a blanket rule, such as at 3.00 am on a through road.

Can I just add that I think 20 is perfectly reasonable in some places, at some times; for example around schools at times when children are moving about. But not as a blanket rule, such as at 3.00 am on a through road.
There are few if any speed limits which are the best/safest speeds 100% of time.

If you travel in Europe, you should be used to 20mph limits (30kph) Most towns and villages have them now.
Only in certain particular busy centres or schools etc.
They don't have blanket 30kph limit for whole town, yet.

Only in certain particular busy centres or schools etc.
They don't have blanket 30kph limit for whole town, yet.
Has it changed since September? Even small towns and villages had 30kph limits!

The ring roads around our urb in Spain has been reduced to 30kph , mostly ignored and no cameras yet. Although on the urb itself there are roads with pavements, houses ,drives etc at 50kph.

There is an erection due next year iirc, I wonder if any party (with a dogs chance of actually winning anything) will actually have 20mph zones (and these scam congestion zones for that matter) in their Manifesto for or against....

I doubt it even though it is a very contentious subject, Last thing politicians want is for their subjects to be able to voice an opinion at the ballot box

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back