Planned speed limits Scotland

There is an erection due next year iirc, I wonder if any party (with a dogs chance of actually winning anything) will actually have 20mph zones (and these scam congestion zones for that matter) in their Manifesto for or against....

I doubt it even though it is a very contentious subject, Last thing politicians want is for their subjects to be able to voice an opinion at the ballot box
It was in the Welsh Labour manifesto, people complain when parties don't do what they, must be a suprise for the party that they did what they promised to and then people complained.

There is an erection due next year iirc, I wonder if any party (with a dogs chance of actually winning anything) will actually have 20mph zones (and these scam congestion zones for that matter) in their Manifesto for or against....

I doubt it even though it is a very contentious subject, Last thing politicians want is for their subjects to be able to voice an opinion at the ballot box

I bet you can't wait!

Only in certain particular busy centres or schools etc.
They don't have blanket 30kph limit for whole town, yet.
Blanket speed limits you say. :unsure:
blanket.jpg

Why not make it 5mph. That way we could all swap our cars for trainers instead. :)
Since you ask, here is the reason for a 20mph limit:

A vehicle hitting a pedestrian at 30mph or more is probably going to caise serious or fatal injury.

A vehicle hitting a pedestrian at 20mph or less is unlikely to cause serious injury.

Reducing a speed limit from 30mph to 20mph makes very little difference to journey times (though it does feel much slower).

A lower limit than 20mph would not increase safety but would increase journey times.

30mph was a stupid speed limit. Never based on science. 20mph makes far more sense.

Reactions: GMJ
Since you ask, here is the reasin for a 20mph limit:

A vehicle hitting a pedestrian at 30mph or more is probably going to caise serious or fatal injury.

A vehicle hitting a pedestrian at 20mph or less is unlikely to cause serious injury.

Reducing a speed limit from 30mph to 20mph makes very little difference to journey times (though it does feel much slower).

A lower
Exactly and if you hit them at 5mph, that’s way better than 20mph. But thanks for informing me that being hit by a car at 20mph, is better than being hit by a car at 30mph. ;)

Has it changed since September? Even small towns and villages had 30kph limits!
I don't think so, the speed limits for towns and villages in France range from 30-50 kph, there isn't a blanket 30 kph limit. In most cases the 50kph limit applies as soon as you pass the official town/village sign, there may well then be a further 30 kph limit associated with traffic calming measures such as chicanes and raised platforms.

I don't think so, the speed limits for towns and villages in France range from 30-50 kph, there isn't a blanket 30 kph limit. In most cases the 50kph limit applies as soon as you pass the official town/village sign, there may well then be a further 30 kph limit associated with traffic calming measures such as chicanes and raised platforms.
That is what we found, but many more villages have full 30kph signs and where two or three villages are joined, it runs the whole way through. But I am only meandering, so not a problem.

That is what we found, but many more villages have full 30kph signs and where two or three villages are joined, it runs the whole way through. But I am only meandering, so not a problem.
You are right, there are a rash of lower 30kph limits being introduced with or without traffic calming measures. A bit like here in Cheshire where most previously derestricted roads now have a 50 mph limit rather than the national 60mph. During our last trip to France this year we also encountered the new (to France) traffic light controls where if you are speeding on entering a town or village, the next set of lights automatically turns red. Again not a problem when tootling around.

Ooh. Can I have one of those next year…or even sooner!

Some signs in France (and Portugal) are confusing. Sometimes they indicate a 30kph Zone and you eventually you come to an end of 20 restriction sign; others only apply at each crossing or hump, reverting to 50 kph and with no end of Zone sign. It isn’t always clear which is which…although the hooting driver up your backside may offer a clarification for you!

Exactly and if you hit them at 5mph, that’s way better than 20mph. But thanks for informing me that being hit by a car at 20mph, is better than being hit by a car at 30mph. ;)
Im sorry that you were unwilling to understand what I wrote.

Your summary completely misses the point.

I'll try again, more concisely:

Reducing speed from 30 to 20 greatly improves safety without much impact on travel time.

Reducing more than that has little effect on safety and much more impact on travel time.

Im sorry that you were unwilling to understand what I wrote.

Your summary completely misses the point.

I'll try again, more concisely:

Reducing speed from 30 to 20 greatly improves safety without much impact on travel time.

Reducing more than that has little effect on safety and much more impact on travel time.
And I am sorry that you don’t know when you are being patronising in the extreme.

During our last trip to France this year we also encountered the new (to France) traffic light controls where if you are speeding on entering a town or village, the next set of lights automatically turns red. Again not a problem when tootling around.
We have exactly that system here in Dumfriesshire, where the A75 passes through a 30 limit village, lights turn red if you go more than 30 towards them...I quite like the system, as it does the job of keeping repeat offenders in check, without recourse to cameras, fines etc.

I drove from Dunkeld to Blairgowrie and back today, the 20mph speed limits through villages were just unnecessary and annoying tbh.

I don’t object to 20mph limits as a rule, but there’s little common sense in many places

And I am sorry that you don’t know when you are being patronising in the extreme.
You would appear to have replied with an ad hominem comment, but failed to address the central point. I guess that's as near to an apology as you're capable of giving.

You would appear to have replied with an ad hominem comment, but failed to address the central point. I guess that's as near to an apology as you're capable of giving.
“Pulls out chair and pours a beer”

Since you ask, here is the reason for a 20mph limit:

A lower limit than 20mph would not increase safety but would increase journey times.

30mph was a stupid speed limit. Never based on science. 20mph makes far more sense.
Which is exactly the same reason they used to give to persuade you to stick to the 30 mph limit because "If you hit a pedestrian at 40 mph they will most likely be killed or seriously injured but if you hit them at 30 mph then they will survive".

Seems to me that "they" move the goalposts to suit their agenda, none of it is "based on science".

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back