Overnight and all day in a disabled space not good pr

moonshadow

In our village on the waterfront there has been a motorhome for the last few days parked in one (actually they take up two) of only six disabled bays. Whilst there are no 'no overnight parking' sign, we have no police presence and technically they are doing nothing wrong but, in our opinion their selfish parking is giving us motorhomers a bad name - rant over!

I guess it’s personal choice to an extent. I have a blue badge but have never parked in a disabled bay with my van, it’s way too big and as you say would take more than the space I would be entitled to. I think I have only used it on the van once on-street. I can usually find somewhere that suits without causing inconvenience to anyone, if not I move on.

Has anyone had a word with them Sue? I don’t think taking two spaces is on myself. There is a club and magazine for disabled drivers, if they don’t park more reasonably when asked pm me a pic and I can send to the blue badge abuse bit. 👍

It’s certainly not in the spirit of wildcamping or wild parking which ever is your favoured term, arrive late leave early my preferred behaviour

But the situation imo needs careful handling and that should be a warden / police not a random member of the public.

Is the van displaying a blue badge? Remember and this bit is really important, not all disabilities are visible . The second consideration is the double space taken ..... there are still four spaces for others to use , has anyone been denied the opportunity?

I genuinely get why the op is annoyed and illustrates what the public see which is more the point.

Michelle is a blue badge holder and we had a confrontation recently In Liverpool bad idea generally when I am about, because we don’t look disabled a member of the public thought they would have a snipe, when I suggested go forth and multiply I did add happy to do a swop, take the disability away happily park where you want.

Having witnessed disability discrimination first hand , let the authorities deal with it and any wrong doing there must be pcso in the area ?

We can't really take holidays in hotels because of boy's disability. The van is about the only way.

Also remember a lot of disabled people struggle for money, why shouldn't they be able to have a holiday?

As Channa says, are the other spaces always full?

99% of the population wouldn't even notice them, don't stress about it :)

Must admit I’m a bit like you Neil I don’t park my van in the disabled bays mine is more for shopping. Not sure what can be done about the MH unless you have a traffic warden that could have a quiet word the problem with pointing out peoples mistakes is some will take it on the chin others will react in a negative manner and you don’t know what your going to get sad but what can you do When you don’t know the reason behind it.

Yes, they have a disabled badge. The spaces are always full during the week but not today being Sunday, they are the nearest spaces to the shops. They are doing nothing illegal so no-one can say anything. I have no problem with them having a holiday, there’s lots of lovely places around here to park during the day, they could be more discreet and just use the spaces overnight when nobody else wants them. Today is day 6! We walk to the village everyday, just to get out of the house and enjoy a different view.

What’s most important is that no one is being denied a space due to their actions.
If we were the selfish inconsiderate people that some reckon we are, we would not be having this conversation. However I do tend to agree that if possible being more discrete would be preferable. Also I believe in a max 2 night stay.

What’s most important is that no one is being denied a space due to their actions.
If we were the selfish inconsiderate people that some reckon we are, we would not be having this conversation. However I do tend to agree that if possible being more discrete would be preferable. Also I believe in a max 2 night stay.
Problem is if that was a Range Rover parked there for a week or so nobody would bat an eyelid, it is the fact that we motorhomers have now become targets we are being excluded from car parks, beauty spots, towns and cities all across the uk and there doesn’t seem to be anything we can do about it and so some are becoming quite selfish Looking after themselves and blow everyone else. You could always put a note on their windscreen just don’t get caught. 😉😉

Problem is if that was a Range Rover parked there for a week or so nobody would bat an eyelid, it is the fact that we motorhomers have now become targets we are being excluded from car parks, beauty spots, towns and cities all across the uk and there doesn’t seem to be anything we can do about it and so some are becoming quite selfish Looking after themselves and blow everyone else. You could always put a note on their windscreen just don’t get caught. 😉😉
No one would bat an eyelid if it were a Range Rover everyone knows they like to break down at the most inconvenient moments.

A few weeks ago on the Whitby thread I posted two photos.
One with a carpark full of cars.
The other with a carpark full of Motorhomes and campers.
I asked spot the difference.
Motorhomes have as much right to park as anyone else.
But limit your stay two two nights or less.
Its all about being considerate and using common sense.

6 days in a bay without moving? Wouldn't it be awful if the poor occupant had taken I'll or even worse, expired!? How would you feel about all this sniping then, wouldn't hurt to give the door a knock would it," saw you parked for 6 days, just making sure you're OK...."
Judge not till you have all the facts....

A few weeks ago on the Whitby thread I posted two photos.
One with a carpark full of cars.
The other with a carpark full of Motorhomes and campers.
I asked spot the difference.
Motorhomes have as much right to park as anyone else.
But limit your stay two two nights or less.
Its all about being considerate and using common sense.
Yes you are quite right but the point I was making if not very clear is all this negative press is breading a new kind of motorhomer who is blatantly flouting all the best practices and looking after no 1 and no amount of explain the the unwritten wild parking rules they will just please themselves and we all then get tarred with the same brush.

Yes you are quite right but the point I was making if not very clear is all this negative press is breading a new kind of motorhomer who is blatantly flouting all the best practices and looking after no 1 and no amount of explain the the unwritten wild parking rules they will just please themselves and we all then get tarred with the same brush.

Yes Annie, and sadly some of that bad press comes from within.
I am all in favour of being considerate, why would we not be.
The vast majority of us are outwith what we do when parking.
As you rightly state we are all being tarred with the same brush.
Possibly I have been fortunate in my travels.
But the vast majority of fellow motorhome owners I meet are considerate to a fault.
Some of what goes on is through ignorance.
I myself was ignorant of how we should behave till coming on here.
Education is what's required, but not just for us, but for all concerned with 'wild camping'.
Both directly and indirectly.

6 days in a bay without moving? Wouldn't it be awful if the poor occupant had taken I'll or even worse, expired!? How would you feel about all this sniping then, wouldn't hurt to give the door a knock would it," saw you parked for 6 days, just making sure you're OK...."
Judge not till you have all the facts....
They are alive and well we see them in their van drinking coffee (or something in a mug!) Not brave enough to leave a note or knock don't want abuse but might if they are still there on Tuesday our next trip to the village

I have no issue with a motorhome parking up in disabled bay if they have a blue badge. What they shouldn’t be doing is taking up two spaces. If they are stopping some time (as they already have) how much of a problem would it have been to move out the bays to somewhere else.
Everyone with a van I know who has trouble getting about has some form of aid with them for that purpose.

I have no issue with a motorhome parking up in disabled bay if they have a blue badge. What they shouldn’t be doing is taking up two spaces. If they are stopping some time (as they already have) how much of a problem would it have been to move out the bays to somewhere else.
Everyone with a van I know who has trouble getting about has some form of aid with them for that purpose.
It might be free for disabled parking which in my opinion it shouldn’t be for me my blue badge is about parking near to somewhere I am visiting rather than a free parking space .

It might be free for disabled parking which in my opinion it shouldn’t be for me my blue badge is about parking near to somewhere I am visiting rather than a free parking space .
I have a blue badge and I agree with you 100% that it is for parking near to the shops or wherever you are visiting, I don't park the van in disabled bays because I think it would be a problem for others with the overhang so I try to park at the edge, I have used the badge at Stratford but if I have taken up another space I buy a ticket as well.
I think people like this are abusing the blue badge scheme

It’s quite refreshing that not everybody here is in the “ tell them they can’t do what they are doing” camp, which seems to be common practice in the UK.
No, they probably shouldn’t take up two spaces in normal circumstances, but, it’s a large vehicle and it seems to be the only way they can park.
I would say, let them get on with it. I’m sure they will soon be gone and the “ problem” will go away. But then, some consider me a lefty liberal......😇

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back