Our cheap battery!

Dont think batteries on a motorhome last long anyway purely to the amount of time the vehicles sit around idle and batteries do like to be worked - and point i'm making is the battery is barely getting used so will deteriorate faster than a vehicle getting used all the time
I am not sure I agree with that point made in such a sweeping way.

The reason so many batteries on motorhomes don't last is not due to not being used, but due to not being treated correctly.

How many times do we read posts about batteries found to need big top ups of water when the owners remembered to check them?
How often are batteries correctly charged? Many Solar Controllers are not able to fully charge a battery, especially outside the summer months; Most vans don't have a proper Battery-to-Battery charger but just a relay to connect the alternator output to the Lesiure Battery; Same with Battery Chargung when on Hookup - too many just put out a too-low voltage to the battery from a simple power supply.
Most Batteries do not like to be left without a full charge, so all the above contribute to the problem. Lithium Batteries can be left without a full charge without a problem (and can actually prefer it). Lead-Carbon Batteries also don't mind being left in a Partial State of Charge (PSOC).
But the Lead Acid Batteries that are generally fitted to Motorhomes really need to be fully - and properly - charged as soon as possible after use. And for most vans, used a little or a lot, that doesn't tend to happen.

I have came across many folk in the motor trade who say leave well enuff alone, they never change oil/filters ,top up batteries or anything else to they find themselves stranded, then they spout its a crap make or whatever, never ever the fault.
Batteries are like babies, they have to be feed, looked at, and treated with respect.

I suggest even a cheap battery will be OK if it is used regularly.
@Phantom is Full-timinng I think. Just need to make sure he does not use too much power.
As @trevskoda implies maintain/lookafter etc
Pay £200 every 5 years or £100 every 3 years ???

@Phantom is Full-timinng I think. Just need to make sure he does not use too much power.
As @trevskoda implies maintain/lookafter etc
Pay £200 every 5 years or £100 every 3 years ???
The other factor to bear in mind is the labour cost to replace. Lots of people either do not want or are not able to change the batteries themselves and if they have to, say, pay £50 for someone to do it for them, FREE batteries that only lasted a year would be a false economy.
But hey, the batteries didn't cost them anything! Result :) (not! :rolleyes: )

Dont think batteries on a motorhome last long anyway purely to the amount of time the vehicles sit around idle and batteries do like to be worked - and point i'm making is the battery is barely getting used so will deteriorate faster than a vehicle getting used all the time
The other factor to bear in mind is the labour cost to replace. Lots of people either do not want or are not able to change the batteries themselves and if they have to, say, pay £50 for someone to do it for them, FREE batteries that only lasted a year would be a false economy.
But hey, the batteries didn't cost them anything! Result :) (not! :rolleyes: )

When I bought my last battery from Battery Megastore in Caen, France they fitted it free but to be honest even I could change a leisure battery. Nothing to it as long as you can lift it.

The conclusion to me here is buy cheap but not too cheap. Next time I need one ill just do what I did last time and spend about a hundred quid from a known supplier with a long guarantee. If it lasts as long as the last two 5-6 years then its more than good value.

As l posted earlier l bought two of these batteries, if I'd of read the reviews I wouldn't of bought them, anyway they are both performing well, l will try and show this months usage on the victron controller.
20201022_180624.jpg

Normal use for me is a couple hours telly and running blown heating at full fan and two led lights.4 amp hour tv 1 amp fan.last night 4 hours tv and heating well BSB was on and Judge Dredd should be compulsary viewing.Daytime im out working.

When I bought my last battery from Battery Megastore in Caen, France they fitted it free but to be honest even I could change a leisure battery. Nothing to it as long as you can lift it.

The conclusion to me here is buy cheap but not too cheap. Next time I need one ill just do what I did last time and spend about a hundred quid from a known supplier with a long guarantee. If it lasts as long as the last two 5-6 years then its more than good value.
And good for you 👏👏.
But even if YOU can change it, plenty of other people cannot.
There are plenty (thousands and thousands) of batteries fitted in places where you have to remove cab seating to get to for example (the standard location for smaller Campervans and where I have fitted countless batteries). Often that is beyond peoples comfort factor, toolkit, and/or physical abilities.
Would Battery Megastore have taken the seat off to fit a £100/€100 the battery and then refitted it for free? Hmmm. I wonder?

And good for you 👏👏.
But even if YOU can change it, plenty of other people cannot.
There are plenty (thousands and thousands) of batteries fitted in places where you have to remove cab seating to get to for example (the standard location for smaller Campervans and where I have fitted countless batteries). Often that is beyond peoples comfort factor, toolkit, and/or physical abilities.
Would Battery Megastore have taken the seat off to fit a £100/€100 the battery and then refitted it for free? Hmmm. I wonder?
Well a lot of people cant even change a standard bulb so it is choices again and up to individuals of what they can and cant do and just buy what you want and pay for fitting or fit yourself

At £50 for changing batteries im now standing at the gate with a billboard advertising my services. 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂

We bought two 125’s that have served us well for four years they cost £145, we are about to replace them as they still work they are being passed onto others. As we full time over winter the new ones will keep us warmer just that bit longer.

Yep, we are full-timing, don't use much power really, but having the two good leisure batteries now has made quite a noticable difference.

Last edited:
Yep, we are full-timing, don't use much power really, but having the two good leisure batteries now has made quite a noticable difference.
In winter my electric use becomes minimal, l listen to radio off my phone, tv is minimal, heating is freestanding, hotwater is from the gas hob. At the moment there's still enough sun.

As said in our first post, just a cheap battery for convenience, only time will tell how long it lasts but is doing fine so far.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back