Our cheap battery!

Phantom

We're still deciding on the most suitable upgrades for our generally low moho power usage. Recently one of our FLA leisure batteries was finally declared about dead so looked for a convenient and quick replacement as we are moving about. Saw one on ebay 110Ah for £65 delivered next day, ordered at 5pm and it was delivered at 9am next morning, so seemed a convenient punt. But it has made a world of difference, so am very happy with our purchase. Not talking here about battery technology nor long livety at all as was just a cheap temporary solution to suit our current needs.
But now in more detail just looking at what we actually got for £65 delivered next day!
Well it appears to be a generic 110Ah, mainenance free, wet lead battery, labeled Probat, containing "Expanded Metal Technology (EMT) by using lead-calcium alloy in the production of battery plates, alledgedly proven to deliver increased reliability and longevity of an automotive battery." Claimed to be dual purpose starter/deep cycle? It has a 4 year guarantee, so seemed a no brainer for the price?

It was your choice ..lots of cheap batteries around , like you say no brainer if it weighs about 23 klg

I do wonder if its worth spending lots of money on batteries. We have had our van 12 years+ and its only on its second leisure battery. When we got it, it had a Banner 110ah which I dont think is an expensive brand. That lasted until either 2014 or 2015 where it just died and I replaced it in France with I think an Alphaline or something like that from Battery Megastore in Caen (about 100 euros for a 125ah maintenance free) and its still going. Apart from this year the van goes on really long trips and rarely on hookup. Solar April to September does the job and no battery problems. It must be about due to pop but not showing any signs yet. For the price of a tank of diesel for maybe 6 years use+ is it worth spending more on batteries?

I do wonder if its worth spending lots of money on batteries. We have had our van 12 years+ and its only on its second leisure battery. When we got it, it had a Banner 110ah which I dont think is an expensive brand. That lasted until either 2014 or 2015 where it just died and I replaced it in France with I think an Alphaline or something like that from Battery Megastore in Caen (about 100 euros for a 125ah maintenance free) and its still going. Apart from this year the van goes on really long trips and rarely on hookup. Solar April to September does the job and no battery problems. It must be about due to pop but not showing any signs yet. For the price of a tank of diesel for maybe 6 years use+ is it worth spending more on batteries?
great, keep it going, are you all fire-ing on all cylinders,sat no more.keep safe, ok pj.

Bought two of these from the same seller last month one for the engine and one for leisure,I got just over 4 years out of last similar bat which was leisure use.

Having purchased exactly the same type of battery from Numberonebatteries, Luton on eBay it failed after all of two weeks very light usage to the degree it was giving off fumes that set the carbon monoxide alarm off. Company refuse to refund me, insisting I return the battery for testing.....an expensive exercise that I will only undertake if I find the need to go that way for other reasons.
I sourced a replacement from my local eurocarparts, bit more money but far more peace of mind. Look on eBay at the company, they get very mixed reviews!

Dont think batteries on a motorhome last long anyway purely to the amount of time the vehicles sit around idle and batteries do like to be worked - and point i'm making is the battery is barely getting used so will deteriorate faster than a vehicle getting used all the time

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back