Oil change

It is very strange but most of these suppliers want the registration but can not recognise it although the parking companies do recognise it. Odd that, I think. What is the difference between 5w30 and 5w40 and does it really make a significant difference in use?

Think I'd be tempted to stick to the 5w30 for UK & Europe.
Although I guess it could be argued that 5w40 is better down on the med in summer + if you drive enthusiastically.

I've only used 5/30 in mine for its 80k miles it's what's recommended needs to be thin for cold starts getting the oil where its needed quickly.

I've only used 5/30 in mine for its 80k miles it's what's recommended needs to be thin for cold starts getting the oil where its needed quickly.
A 5/40 will be the same, low number cold, high number when very hot, my old banger is ment to be 15/40 min oil, i use 10/40 sem sinth as i did in all my old skodas and they went round the clock 3/4 times.

Thanks folks, Just the answers I was hoping for, wonderful but now what would be the result of mixing the two, the 30 and 40. I already have a nearly full bottle of the 40 but the offers I am receiving mean that the 30 comes out much cheaper and winter starting is more important to me than belting around the med which I do not intend to do....ever!

Not to throw a spanner in the works but,
Have you considered the various aspects such as:
Mineral
Semi-Synthetic
Synthetic

As for oil temp I think you can easily get away with 5w30 or 10w40.

Remember also the diesel oil has various additives to reduce sulphur and cleansing of engine internals.
The cheapest version may not be what's best for your vehicle.

Thanks again, but is it safe to mix the two, 5w30 and 5w40 oh and what I have and what I am looking at are both totally synthetic and same make.

A 5/40 will be the same, low number cold, high number when very hot, my old banger is ment to be 15/40 min oil, i use 10/40 sem sinth as i did in all my old skodas and they went round the clock 3/4 times.
trev, you forgot to mention, your old Skodies were built like Russian T45 tank, with all them crushed beer and bean tins welded to the bulkhead and other vulnerable areas, including this from your good lady, driver foot well area, to protect the family allowance from lack of maintenance, to the car of course :ROFLMAO:

Thanks again, but is it safe to mix the two, 5w30 and 5w40 oh and what I have and what I am looking at are both totally synthetic and same make.

That's probably one of those questions that however you answer, half the internet is gonna tell you, you're wrong. :)

On one hand there's probably 1000's of vehicles out there with all kinds of mixed oils, even mixes of semi synthetic and fully, and no doubt some with a mix of mineral and synthetic.

But ideally you wouldn't mix, especially if you don't know what's already in there, unless of course it's an emergency and you intend an oil change soon, which doesn't sound like your situation.

FWIW, I've got two brands in mine at the moment, but both meet manufacturers spec and I won't be worrying about it at all, even if it's not ideal.

Thanks Mark, not what I really wanted to hear but what I suspected. I shall buy enough of the 5w30 and keep the 5w40 for emergencies which is what I did last time and is why I still have it.

Dont waste your money, the 5/40 is just fine, i have been at this game all my life, most important bit is give it a good thrashing once a mth to let the detugents glean the internals of the engine, if not using it for long trips or are a pussy footer change more often.

I thrash ours every day, a few minutes in 3rd gear helps the DPF too, the rest of the time I dawdle around back roads.

I thrash ours every day, a few minutes in 3rd gear helps the DPF too, the rest of the time I dawdle around back roads.
Takes about 40 ish miles at speed to warm the oil up to clean the engine, long chain polymers take time to open and close once you slow down and the oil cools, the dirt is then trapped inside the coiled up polymeres, hence it gets black, once saturated its time to change. (y)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back