North Norfolk NOT for Motorhomes

If you take a step back and look at it from the local viewpoint putting up height barriers is a win win as it not only keeps travellers out but forces motorhomers into official sites which benefits the local tourist trade that they depend on.
Surely that only benefits the campsite owner, as they are usually too far from civilisation to enable motorhome to visit local shops and restaurants, especially if they can't park in town during the day.

If you take a step back and look at it from the local viewpoint putting up height barriers is a win win as it not only keeps travellers out but forces motorhomers into official sites which benefits the local tourist trade that they depend on.

Not always.If We dont feel welcome through nowhere to park we move on to a completely different area.So if one is driving around and around, eventually one gets fed up and goes somewhere else and not always the local campsite.

We looked on the Internet yesterday and the Beach Car Park at Wells was open for Mhs so off we went. Arrived to find a barrier across so consulted with the attendants. Full of apologies and gave us the phone number and Email for the Estate Operations Manager. SWMBO exchanged several emails with him but they said that they were closed to high vehicles due to the HIGH Threat from Traveler's arriving. So they are closed until 7th September. Funny that as Cromer Hill Top car park and Sherringham are now open.

A bit off topic, but I live in ************ on the ************** coast and we have two lovely car parks on the cliff tops. Both have lovely views and we regularly get Mhs staying overnight, in fact several nights. We have had the problem of travellers invading the car parks which the council moved on, but they have not put height barriers up. Different councils with different views.

Advertising FREE Car Parks on a PUBLIC Forum could lead to trouble. Next thing you know it will be all over the Internet so I would remove it.

The large car park at Cromer has had height barriers for years, there they are usually only used in the high season. Cromer has another car park in the town quite large with no barriers and Sheringham has a large car park where the train station is.

Barriers were across the entrance at Sherringham. Town centre in Cromer only has a few bays where you can park overhanging the grass otherwise its double so £12 for 4 hours.

I note travellers get the blame yet again without lifting a finger...the threat subsides 7th September apparently

Sounds a bit like the weather forecast really. It may rain or there is a 10% chance. In other words the people supplying the information to the Car Parks haven't really got a clue. Wonder how accurate these predictions are over a year.

That doesn’t work for me, there is normally somewhere to stop overnight in any place. It certainly wouldn’t put me on a camp site

What height are the barriers at Wells? Heading there on Sunday was looking forward to it

Here is where we part company on agreements a lot of motorhomers are not going to spend £25/35 a night on campsites where only the campsite owner benefits it then limits there daily spend in local shops where is you are on a cheap cl/cs or even on a cheap carpark the option to spend more in the local shops so the holiday budget is shared out and more small businesses benefit well that’s my take on it and before you start it’s not about being a free loader it’s about paying a fair price for parking rather than paying rip off prices for services that I do not require. When my children and grandchildren were small I gladly booked campsites so they had things to do on holiday these days all I require is somewhere to park and a few shops and eateries to treat myself.

I suspect for those experienced in the art that is always the case. On a serious note and it’s a genuine question do you actively avoid the ‘tourist’ bits and do the off grid thing as I perceive it?
I would actively avoid tourist seaside towns during the height of the summer I save them for my autumn and winter stops when the locals are a bit more laid back but the locals cannot cry when the tourists don’t come and then moan when they do there has to be a happy medium struck at some poin.

Ive made the decision after thinking whats happening in Wales Scotland and other places to avoid wildcamping for now. It was a tough choice as i really dont like "official" big corp campsites although the missus dose. Therefore when im in Norfolk doing some wildlife stuff Ive booked onto farm sites. Cheaper than big ones and its a compromise and gives the farmer a few £££, They are ok ill use local shops and maybe a walk to a pub and i like them. Wildings better but i made a personal choice. Shame as i love wilding but for now im waiting to see how things pan out. That said theres loads of much more experienced folk on here much better at finding places than me. Worry is if the idiots keep throwing sh*t eveywhere we get blamed and things never get back to normal. Then again, the POI's a godsend for folk like me, great spots where i can keep a low profile do what i enjoy and do some wilding. But for now its farm sites for me. Good to hear stories from folk still getting out and about and not having any grief. Shows it can still be done. Then again if everyone was like the good folk on here there wouldnt be a problem.

They have official sites all over Europe, they are called Aires, and where travellers are hardly a problem.

Ive made the decision after thinking whats happening in Wales Scotland and other places to avoid wildcamping for now. It was a tough choice as i really dont like "official" big corp campsites although the missus dose. Therefore when im in Norfolk doing some wildlife stuff Ive booked onto farm sites. Cheaper than big ones and its a compromise and gives the farmer a few £££, They are ok ill use local shops and maybe a walk to a pub and i like them. Wildings better but i made a personal choice. Shame as i love wilding but for now im waiting to see how things pan out. That said theres loads of much more experienced folk on here much better at finding places than me. Worry is if the idiots keep throwing sh*t eveywhere we get blamed and things never get back to normal. Then again, the POI's a godsend for folk like me, great spots where i can keep a low profile do what i enjoy and do some wilding. But for now its farm sites for me. Good to hear stories from folk still getting out and about and not having any grief. Shows it can still be done. Then again if everyone was like the good folk on here there wouldnt be a problem.
We Wilded everywhere we’ve gone so far this year. Not had a problem anywhere, we just avoid areas where we expect crowds to go. Weardale, Teesdale, Wharfedale, East Cumbria, Brecons (not weekends), Cambrian Mountains and Powys...all relatively quiet and peaceful even in August.

they do ,what over charging. yes your are right, thats, why i do not go in many.if at all. same head, different sand or mud, your choice , take a good look at it,
take the dark glasses off, it would appear, you are extremely rich, one way or an-other, were do you live, its a place in a no go area, for some, ok pj.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back