New van

Reading this thread I am quite glad we have our ancient Autosleeper.

Seems like a lot of "snagging" that you shouldn't really be having for the large wodges of dosh parted with! :oops:😟

I'm still a dinosaur who likes windy-down windows and heavy steel steering wheel locks, etc.

The less electronic microchipped tech in a vehicle, the happier I am. 😄 🦖🦕

1701689313553.gif

Seems like a lot of "snagging" that you shouldn't really be having for the large wodges of dosh parted with! :oops:😟

I'm still a dinosaur who likes windy-down windows and heavy steel steering wheel locks, etc.

I'm up for the microchipped mod cons, as long as they work.

Fav one this time of year is the remote that heats up engine coolant.
Works from me bed, van all toasty and clear windows 30 min later. :)

I'm up for the microchipped mod cons, as long as they work.

Fav one this time of year is the remote that heats up engine coolant.
Works from me bed, van all toasty and clear windows 30 min later. :)
Doesn't it have to start the engine to do that?

Nothing wrong with the equipment Marie, if it had been programmed correctly by the installer.
Alls fine now, and fingers crossed everything on the van is working like a treat.
My only problem is with the Gok duo gas system I cannot get my head around how it works.
And the instructions are as useful as a chocolate fireguard.
As of the money side, well I traded in my 4 year old Pegaso and lost £4000 on what I paid for it.
The piggy bank is still alive and kicking, not too much damage was done.💰🤑💸

I had a Mercedes van that had a similar system but it never worked.
I had a Webasto TT Pre-Heater in my VW Shuttle/Caravelle. Bit of a waste of time until it decided to run continuously for no reason and had to pull the fuse.

I installed a Chinese Diesel Heater to a friends VW Shuttle and added an extra little gadget which allowed him to text the van to turn on the heater remotely. He used that feature in the house to get the van warmed up before heading away and when coming back from sea fishing to have the camper nice and toasty for his return.
That setup was less than half the cost to convert the Webasto (that he also had) into a space heater via the coolant system and rear HVAC unit.

I had a Webasto TT Pre-Heater in my VW Shuttle/Caravelle. Bit of a waste of time until it decided to run continuously for no reason and had to pull the fuse.

I installed a Chinese Diesel Heater to a friends VW Shuttle and added an extra little gadget which allowed him to text the van to turn on the heater remotely. He used that feature in the house to get the van warmed up before heading away and when coming back from sea fishing to have the camper nice and toasty for his return.
That setup was less than half the cost to convert the Webasto (that he also had) into a space heater via the coolant system and rear HVAC unit.
Have considered fitting something similar but I guess the switching device would need it's own sim?

Have considered fitting something similar but I guess the switching device would need it's own sim?
The one I did did. Used a Remote Garage Door opener. But you can get something like a giff-gaff SIM or similar where a £10 topup would last quite a few months and would only get used in winter as well of course.

Well I am assuming all manglefacturers offer both options but I could be wrong.
i am also one of those stubborn people that simply won’t park the wrong way around i.e. facing the oncoming traffic so when parked on the left a sliding door exiting in to live traffic wouldn’t be ideal
If they offered the door on either side it would mean having two seperate mirrored internal layouts to manufacture for each model. Not going to happen. Also,although European vans are relatively popular here, the UK market for them is tiny compared to the huge European market.

Seen as the weather forecast is good today it’s insulate the rear doors, and set up the Tyrepal TPMS. You would think that the converters would insulate the rear doors, but none of them do. Rapido offer it as a £280 option. It was not even an option on most, Malibu (Carthago wanted £450) But I bought the sound and thermal insulation, for £40 and the trim tool for £8. I have watched a couple of YouTube videos and it looked pretty straightforward.
Some of the option prices are eye watering. Rapido charge £500 for carpets. But as part of their mandatory U.K. left hand drive Pack we got carpets, an oven, leather steering wheel, and steering wheel controls. But in these times they and the dealers are calling the shots. But to be fair to Rapido our contract allowed them to increase the price during the two years waiting time. But they chose not to saving us £4600. The Dealership stated that they were the only manufacturer who honoured their initial price, that they dealt with.

Last edited:
Have you got rubber gasket trim around the cab doors like you get on cars? (I am not sure how common that is on the newest vans. It never used to be fitted and can make a big difference to sound deadening.)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back