New passport system for the EU (Schengen)

I renewed my uk passport in June.
Got digital (and real) photos at a booth with a code.
used this code as part of a fully online process.
Had to send my old passport.
new passport within 3 days and a week later my old passport came back (cancelled)
i am a harsh critic of the home office but this was excellent.
i doubt that the expiry of your old passport will cause a problem.
Did the same with mine just before crimbo, except I took a selfie in the kitchen, the online process told me if the photo was good enough, excellent service, very impressiv.

You can get citizenship if one of your parents were born in Ireland before 2006.
You are automatically deemed to be Irish born abroad. Over 200,000 unionists in Northern Ireland have applied. Most Catholics in Northern Ireland already had Irish passports. If your grandparents were Irish it’s much more difficult, and cannot be done online.
Many who voted for the unmentionable are now looking for Irish passports.
I am considering it, but I don’t think I will.
Are all residents in NI not automatically entitled to Irish passports ?
Dare say many wouldn't have one as a matter of 'principle' . Amazing how often expediency trumps principles

Dare say many wouldn't have one as a matter of 'principle' . Amazing how often expediency trumps principles
I guess that depends upon your point of view, my wife was born in the island of Ireland and is therefore entitled to her Irish passport and yes we decided she should get one specifically so that we can dodge the ‘Schengen shuffle’, principles don’t come into it as far as we’re concerned. It’s irrelevant where exactly she was born geographically in Ireland, so to is her religion. Our kids are also entitled to their Irish passports. I would have been had I applied before 2006. You could say it’s become popular and a bit of a cottage industry (takes about 3 months!), but hey - rules is rules!

For anyone with U.K. passports interested in doing extended trips in Europe, John & Mandy do a fairly comprehensive explanation of the ‘Schengen shuffle’. They’re currently in Turkey waiting out. I’ve been following there 9 month trip with great interest, they are just doing it and getting it right pretty much of the time. Well worth following from the start IMO.

Yes if you were born there before April 2005, hence why 200,000 have applied. I know that most catholics living in Northern Ireland held Irish passports,
and it cannot be religious based. If you were born after that date its a bit more complicated and more expensive (700 EUROS).

NI is part of the UK. The Republic of Ireland is a separate country.
Technically they're not, hence why citizens of Northern Ireland can apply for Irish citizenship, and Irish citizens can apply for UK citizenship.
It goes back to the setting up of the six counties, and the Irish free state.
Also the queen is represented by the Governor General in Eire, and technically she is the head of state for Eire.
It's very complicated, hence why Northern Ireland is not part of Great Britain, but part of the UK.
To some extent this was agreed due to the fact that Fermanagh and Tyrone were majority Catholic counties yet were integrated within Northern Ireland, to make it a viable state.
To this day Ulster is made up of nine counties, six in the UK and three in Eire.

Right off for a coffee now.:)

It is complicated I agree and yes residents of the island can apply for an Irish passport...

That's something new I have learned today.

Technically they're not, hence why citizens of Northern Ireland can apply for Irish citizenship, and Irish citizens can apply for UK citizenship.
It goes back to the setting up of the six counties, and the Irish free state.
Also the queen is represented by the Governor General in Eire, and technically she is the head of state for Eire.
It's very complicated, hence why Northern Ireland is not part of Great Britain, but part of the UK.
To some extent this was agreed due to the fact that Fermanagh and Tyrone were majority Catholic counties yet were integrated within Northern Ireland, to make it a viable state.
To this day Ulster is made up of nine counties, six in the UK and three in Eire.

Right off for a coffee now.:)
I thought our monarchy stopped being head of State in Eire in 1949 when it finally became a republic.

I thought our monarchy stopped being head of State in Eire in 1949 when it finally became a republic.
To all intents and purpose the British monarchs have never been head of state for the Irish Free State, or Eire even between 1922 to 1949. But the 1948 Republic of Ireland act was the product of Fianna Fáil and their leader Eamon de Valera. It was constituted by them in breech of the 1921 act without agreement with the British, who removed Ireland from the British commonwealth for forming a republic. This is really pedantic, but technically as there was never agreement on formation of the Irish republic, and removal of the British monarch, it can be and is argued that the British monarch is head of state. But we are being really pedantic here. Irish history particularly after 1922 is very complicated. But speaking pragmatically, yes in my opinion what you say is correct, but some will beg to differ.

To all intents and purpose the British monarchs have never been head of state for the Irish Free State, or Eire even between 1922 to 1949. But the 1948 Republic of Ireland act was the product of Fianna Fáil and their leader Eamon de Valera. It was constituted by them in breech of the 1921 act without agreement with the British, who removed Ireland from the British commonwealth for forming a republic. This is really pedantic, but technically as there was never agreement on formation of the Irish republic, and removal of the British monarch, it can be and is argued that the British monarch is head of state. But we are being really pedantic here. Irish history particularly after 1922 is very complicated. But speaking pragmatically, yes in my opinion what you say is correct, but some will beg to differ.
I do find Irish history, both modern and ancient, really fascinating. Trouble is, it's so complicated that I can't remember it and have to read it all over again!
Mind you that's true for everything.
What was it you were saying? 😳😜

I do find Irish history, both modern and ancient, really fascinating. Trouble is, it's so complicated that I can't remember it and have to read it all over again!
Mind you that's true for everything.
What was it you were saying? 😳😜
Bottom line, some say the British monarchs were never head of state from 1922- 49, some say they were till 1949, and some wrongly in my opinion say that the queen is head of state. But although technically they have a point, it’s preposterous, and even insulting to the people of the Irish Republic in my honest opinion. But nothing involving Ireland is clear cut, as we are seeing with shambles after brexit.

Well two weeks and counting til starting a six month Europe trip and guess what? I’ve been reading conflicting views about freedom of movement while travelling with an EU spouse so I decided to get some definitive guidance from the Europe Direct Contact Centre. Worry over? Watch this space.

DC313F9D-2471-441F-9B44-E732DF99ED25.jpeg
68B6D87C-9675-450A-94A3-22DC1FAE4262.png

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back