New passport system for the EU (Schengen)

barryd

This may have already been covered

I know there were concerns about working out your 90 days etc and also concerns that if you skipped out of Schengen say into Morocco or Croatia as a way of extending your 90 days without coming home you would need to make sure you got your passport stamped but if this system is to be in place at every external Schengen border then presumably it will deal with all of that so no need to worry?

It certainly puts paid to any thoughts of perhaps winging it a bit and staying longer not that I was planning on doing that.

Will it work with our current passports?

This may have already been covered

I know there were concerns about working out your 90 days etc and also concerns that if you skipped out of Schengen say into Morocco or Croatia as a way of extending your 90 days without coming home you would need to make sure you got your passport stamped but if this system is to be in place at every external Schengen border then presumably it will deal with all of that so no need to worry?

It certainly puts paid to any thoughts of perhaps winging it a bit and staying longer not that I was planning on doing that.

Will it work with our current passports?
Think passports in the last few years are designed for this ?
Experienced the biometric thingy on recent US trips . Though they still do the manual thing too which is , in my mind , self defeating

Actually that reminds me. I Think my passport has expired but Mrs Ds probably has year or two on it. It will be interesting to find out if we need to update any older passports that are still valid and at what cost.

Actually that reminds me. I Think my passport has expired but Mrs Ds probably has year or two on it. It will be interesting to find out if we need to update any older passports that are still valid and at what cost.
The UK started issuing biometric passports in 2010 so in theory based on the ten year life span most people should already have one :unsure:
I think the biometric ones have a camera symbol on the front ;)

Regards,
Del

FWIW, Australia have had a similar system for at least a decade. No stamps, they just scan your passport and declaration card in and out. Visas are also digital, stored on the Immi system and linked to your passport number. Visitors have an Immi account and can update their passport details online or via a manual form should their passport be renewed before their visa expires. The system works really well and, personally, I welcome the EU adopting a similar system.

I agree, its a good idea mainly from my point of view that I was concerned about driving into somewhere like Croatia perhaps on a B road and not getting a stamp, spending a month or two there before heading back into Schengen and then when you leave having no proof you left the zone for month. Hopefully this should prevent that.

I agree, its a good idea mainly from my point of view that I was concerned about driving into somewhere like Croatia perhaps on a B road and not getting a stamp, spending a month or two there before heading back into Schengen and then when you leave having no proof you left the zone for month. Hopefully this should prevent that.

Don't see how this prevents the problem.
If there is a visa checking station then they should have stamped the passport, if not who checks the visa.

Best stick to main exit points.

If there is a visa checking station then they should have stamped the passport, if not who checks the visa.

I assume (not been) there are proper borders on all Croatias entry and exit points. I think one of the reasons this was brought in was to beef up security and to account for all entry and exits and make them faster.

Also from the article. "it’s also hoped that the scanners will spell an end to the inconsistent passport stamping that non-EU nationals living in EU countries have experienced. This has reportedly been a particular problem for Brits since Brexit who have been left “frustrated” by incorrect stamps"

Pretty sure I have seen posts from people saying they have been in and out of Schengen without a stamp. Not a problem until Brexit of course but it could be a costly one now if they think you have overstayed when you return to the UK and you cant prove you left the zone. In theory it shouldn't happen now.

This does kind of force folks to now stick to the main routes as has been mentioned above. No more bimbling your way across borders as before.

This does kind of force folks to now stick to the main routes as has been mentioned above. No more bimbling your way across borders as before.

I think the internal Schengen borders wont change for us, you will still be able to bimble in and out its when you leave or enter Schengen that security and checks is beefed up.

Yes I knew that Barry, my bad...I was on about Schengen borders with the outside world!

Yes I knew that Barry, my bad...I was on about Schengen borders with the outside world!

I dont think you could just meander out or in of Schengen before though. I think the issue I was concerned about is people were saying their passports were not getting stamped.

• Thank You
Reactions: GMJ

A visa won’t allow you to travel throughout the Schengen zone for more than the 90/180 limit, you would need to apply for a visa for each country you want to visit.

A visa won’t allow you to travel throughout the Schengen zone for more than the 90/180 limit, you would need to apply for a visa for each country you want to visit.
I’ve not looked into that in detail as this doesn’t effect me, but I’m lead to believe you simply get an EU visa Here I only glanced but if your effected I’d suggest reading the whole thing.

I’m told that in effect once you’ve done your 90 days you apply for the visa for the next 90 days.

U.K. citizens don’t need that EU visa, they can travel visa free within the Schengen zone for up to 90 days ( in 180). It’s only for visits over 90 days when you require a visa, and then it’s ( as I understand it) per country.
You can only apply for a visa within your home country. So you could not apply for a visa after your first 90 days without returning home.

I renewed my uk passport in June.
Got digital (and real) photos at a booth with a code.
used this code as part of a fully online process.
Had to send my old passport.
new passport within 3 days and a week later my old passport came back (cancelled)
i am a harsh critic of the home office but this was excellent.
i doubt that the expiry of your old passport will cause a problem.

I think there is a little way to go yet as far as firming all of this up goes. Our first trip since Brexit involved a ferry from home to Dublin then a ferry to Cherbourg. My wife has an Irish passport therefore the 90 day in 180 rule doesn’t apply to us providing I’m travelling with her. That’s not to say that the average border controller would know any of this, we both had our passports entry date stamped at Cherbourg! I must get round to getting the relevant EU legislation printed off in a few languages and laminated ready to show as I certainly wouldn’t want to verbally argue the toss with any of them!

My take on bimbling in and out (something we like to do) is that it can be done because most minor roads don’t have manned border controls, therefore wherever you are in mainland Europe is irrelevant. I was under the impression that U.K. passport holders are bound by the Schengen rule once you have that entry date stamp, you are free to travel Europe for 90 days before ducking out of the Schengen area for the next 90 days. Although I’ve heard that it’s sensible to duck out 4 or 5 days before the 90 day expiry just in case something unforeseen happens and you need to use those ‘banked days’ to get home in a hurry!

This said, in order to prove your length of stay, as long as you have your date of entry stamped and use a manned border before crossing into a non Schengen country and get that exit date stamped, isn’t this proof of exit? I also believe you can get an app which will count down the days required to suit your own itinerary.

Bank statements will also be evidence.

As said, all of this silliness doesn’t affect us but for those affected - where there’s a will there’s a willy.

This is of course all my own interpretation and I’ll stand corrected if I’ve misinterpreted or missed any of the new ruling!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Renewing your P/P on line saves £9.50 compared to post. We did ours taking our own photos which where accepted as we took them by the application program. Don't forget your passport is only now valid for 10 yrs any extra gained by applying early is no longer accepted

While the UK was in the European Union, British passports were valid up to and until the date of expiry. Many passports issued in the UK last up to 10 years and 9 months due to the Government’s policy of allowing “unspent” time for the renewal process.

Last edited:
Hi. It is important you get your passport stamped when entering and leaving a Schengen area. It’s worth checking this gets done at airports too! We had personal experience of this in November coming back through the tunnel. Strap in this is a long one!
Ann, my wife goes on holiday for two weeks, in June with her sister to Lanzarote. Her passport was stamped when she arrived there. But NOT when she left, or arrived in Manchester. It seems at Manchester they arent, or weren’t, staffed to stamp passports, because they use the auto machines.
In September she went again, but this time her passport wasn’t stamped on arrival at Lanza, or when she left The UK.
Meanwhile, I left for Spain in the van, passport stamped at Dover. Drove to Spain and then met her in Malaga, she flew from Lanza direct, so no stamp because it’s an internal Spanish flight. Fast forward to Calais in November and we duly show our passports. I’d counted they days and we were at day 82 of our 90. Except we weren’t!

Well to be accurate according to her passport she had been there since June! Senior people were called to the check in queue to make a decision as whether to arrest her, deny her entry into The UK, fine her, upto 10,000 Euros, or accept my story. Finally after being taken out of the queue, the van checked by armed security for weapons and illegal immigrants, the senior bod accepted the emails for both holiday flights I’d kept on my phone, and we were allowed through. They wrote in her passport the dates and times, so it wouldn’t happen again.
The moral of the story is they DO check and DO count up the days! Be warned people!
BTW. This is a UK rules introduced when we were in the UK to stop pesky foreign people from outside The EU overstaying their time in the EU and UK, coming back to bite us! How we laughed! 😉

Hi. It is important you get your passport stamped when entering and leaving a Schengen area. It’s worth checking this gets done at airports too! We had personal experience of this in November coming back through the tunnel. Strap in this is a long one!
Ann, my wife goes on holiday for two weeks, in June with her sister to Lanzarote. Her passport was stamped when she arrived there. But NOT when she left, or arrived in Manchester. It seems at Manchester they arent, or weren’t, staffed to stamp passports, because they use the auto machines.
In September she went again, but this time her passport wasn’t stamped on arrival at Lanza, or when she left The UK.
Meanwhile, I left for Spain in the van, passport stamped at Dover. Drove to Spain and then met her in Malaga, she flew from Lanza direct, so no stamp because it’s an internal Spanish flight. Fast forward to Calais in November and we duly show our passports. I’d counted they days and we were at day 82 of our 90. Except we weren’t!

Well to be accurate according to her passport she had been there since June! Senior people were called to the check in queue to make a decision as whether to arrest her, deny her entry into The UK, fine her, upto 10,000 Euros, or accept my story. Finally after being taken out of the queue, the van checked by armed security for weapons and illegal immigrants, the senior bod accepted the emails for both holiday flights I’d kept on my phone, and we were allowed through. They wrote in her passport the dates and times, so it wouldn’t happen again.
The moral of the story is they DO check and DO count up the days! Be warned people!
BTW. This is a UK rules introduced when we were in the UK to stop pesky foreign people from outside The EU overstaying their time in the EU and UK, coming back to bite us! How we laughed! 😉

Wow! Quite a story.

Presumably the new EES schengen system will eliminate issues like this when it supposedly comes online this year.

However, presumably our borders or passports at least have to be EES ready / compatible. I am sure our government will have thought about this of course so what could possibly go wrong? :D

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back