New Highway Code rules.

Just to be clear, I did not say all. I only said the ignorant ones....
Yes and anyone who cycled in the middle of the road, was by your definition ignorant. Please read carefully what you posted.

I just hope that the ignorant folk that do ride in the middle of the lane/Road don't cause a death by holding up emergency vehicles or anyone that is trying to get help.

I appreciate that this is not an ideal way to communicate, but most if not all reading what you posted would reckon that anyone following current Highway Code advice by riding in the middle of the road were ignorant. The problems for cyclists cycling at the side have been highlighted by others on here, so I won’t repeat what they have said. But suffice to say I fully concur with what they say. And hence why the changes have been made to the code.

If that’s not what you meant, then I do apologise, but I have read it several times, and the inference seems clear to me.

Last edited:
Yes and anyone who cycled in the middle of the road, was by your definition ignorant. Please read carefully what you posted.

I just hope that the ignorant folk that do ride in the middle of the lane/Road don't cause a death by holding up emergency vehicles or anyone that is trying to get help.

I appreciate that this is not an ideal way to communicate, but most if not all reading what you posted would reckon that anyone following current Highway Code advice by riding in the middle of the road were ignorant. The problems for cyclists cycling at the side have been highlighted by others on here, so I won’t repeat what they have said. But suffice to say I fully concur with what they say. And hence why the changes have been made to the code.

If that’s not what you meant, then I do apologise, but I have read it several times, and the inference seems clear to me.
Maybe a should of included "for long periods of time" without moving to the side/single file to allow the passing of other vehicles in a safe manner for all...

Maybe a should of included "for long periods of time" without moving to the side/single file to allow the passing of other vehicles in a safe manner for all...
That’s fine but the problem with that is, if it’s unsafe to overtake whilst the cyclist is in the middle of the road, what makes it safer when they pull towards the side. What leads to deaths amongst cyclists is when they ride in the side of the road, a motorist starts to overtake on a country road, then a car unexpectedly comes from the opposite direction forcing the overtaking car into the cyclist. This is why the new code advises riding in the middle of the road, then motorists will be more careful when overtaking.

My only complaint about cycling clubs is when to many ride together. I was driving from my home to Callander on the A81 when I was confronted with a large group of around 40 cyclists riding in a large group. It took me a while before I could get passed them. I pointed this out to my mate, and he agreed with me. His club have a policy of no more than 10 bikes two abreast on a run, with a substantial gap between each group. I reckon that this should have got a mention in the new Highway Code. The last thing we want are angry frustrated drivers on our roads, because all to often I witnessed the result of such reckless driving.

Last edited:
That’s fine but the problem with that is, if it’s unsafe to overtake whilst the cyclist is in the middle of the road, what makes it safer when they pull towards the side. What leads to deaths amongst cyclists is when they ride in the side of the road, a motorist starts to overtake on a country road, then a car unexpectedly comes from the opposite direction forcing the overtaking car into the cyclist. This is why the new code advises riding in the middle of the road, then motorists will be more careful when overtaking.

My only complaint about cycling clubs is when to many ride together. I was driving from my home to Callander on the A81 when I was confronted with a large group of around 40 cyclists riding in a large group. It took me a while before I could get passed them. I pointed this out to my mate, and he agreed with me. His club have a policy of no more than 10 bikes two abreast on a run, with a substantial gap between each group. I reckon that this should have got a mention in the new Highway Code. The last thing we want are angry frustrated drivers on our roads, because all to often I witnessed the result of such reckless driving.
Problem with your mate is he forgets that two abrest ok but should fall to a single line according to the h code, most just dont.

My only complaint about cycling clubs is when to many ride together. I was driving from my home to Callander on the A81 when I was confronted with a large group of around 40 cyclists riding in a large group. It took me a while before I could get passed them. I pointed this out to my mate, and he agreed with me. His club now have a policy of no more than 10 bikes two abreast on a run, with a substantial gap between each group. I reckon that this should have got a mention in the new Highway Code. The last thing we want are angry frustrated drivers on our roads, because all to often I witnessed the result of such reckless driving.
You have just hit the nail on the head. That is the ignorant groups I were on about. Now if they rode as you are stating then bingo job sorted. If they ride like that and leave enough room for folk to overtake one group safely then able to pull back in and wait till the next safe place to over take no issues. Sadly I have never witnessed such a thing from any cyclist that ride in large groups. I was stuck behind a large group 3 abreast 4 in places on the way to Ribblehead Viaduct and was unable to find a safe place to overtake them for possibly 5 miles. What they do need to consider is that alot of folk don't have patients and will pass from the rear of the queue to get past, these seem to be the ones that do cause alot of accidents.
I do hope that more will start to ride with the same consideration.

Problem with your mate is he forgets that two abrest ok but should fall to a single line according to the h code, most just dont.
No Trev, the problem is why do you think they don’t, when they do.
My mate has forgotten nothing Trev.

No Trev, the problem is why do you think they don’t, when they do.
My mate has forgotten nothing Trev.
Not here they will take the whole rd up with groups of 40 or more, iv even seen the clubs use both sides of the rd, once in my life I did see the police stop a group for not following the code, I had to slowly pass with my big ear to the open passenger window and he was sure giving them hell.

I love a we cycle out round the houses here but would I take it out on a main rd, not on your nelly, best places are parks or trails set up for walkers and cycles, there are loads here these days so no need to cycle on roads.

What I really don't understand is why someone who hasn't a hope in hell of doing the tour de anybloodything, think Lycra is going to make much if any difference on their ride to work, why they would spend thousands on a bike that frankly is not fit for purpose on wheels that are less so, and look a proper git in the process.

Clarkson is famous for saying work harder so you can afford a car.

It's not that I don't respect cyclists, but it's a cheap mode of transport to get you to work essentially (and possibly give you cancer from all the fumes) the ones who ride to and from work on sensible bikes fit for the road with lights and obey the laws of the road are indeed saving the planet, those who go onto country roads enmasse in clubs??? I have no time for at all, just another gang of thugs as far as I'm concerned, we often go out into the countryside and frequently go into a café for a coffee and they are bragging about how many cars they have pissed off on the way there, and this can be any age group up into their 70s.

I really don't like myself and my friends being described as a "gang of thugs"! Cycling as a social group, is no worse than getting in a motorhome and diving halfway across the country to a meet. It could be argued that it is much better; we don't cause any pollution, we all get a good workout whilst enjoying ourselves, and we support the local cafes & coffee shops. We have as much right to use the roads as anyone else. We pay our taxes to maintain the roads and most cycle club members are insured. (Third party insurance is usually included in the membership.)

Why should I not ride my bike just because I am in my 70s? And what's wrong with Lycra? Just because you think you may look a "proper git" in Lycra, I can assure you that if you ever get to the stage where you ride 6 or more hours every week, you might look quite good! Lycra is an ideal material to make riding clothing in; It wicks away moisture very effectively, gives sun protection and it makes a huge difference to the wind resistance road cyclists have to overcome.

This thread is about the new Highway Code and the implications to drivers, especially drivers of larger vehicles such as campers and motorhomes. We all have to be careful of other, more vulnerable road users and the new code clears up a lot of the misunderstandings created by the now obsolete code. The thread should not be an opportunity to "slag off" a section of our society. I don't quite understand why the hostility towards cyclists? Driving a Camper/MH goes hand in hand with attaching the bike rack to the back and really exploring the countryside. Bikes can get to places where it would be impossible for a camper to access, or even a walker!

1643850673032.jpeg

Last edited:
Motor vehicles should overtake a cyclist exactly the same way as any other vehicle; wait until it is safe to do so and overtake giving plenty of clearance. If a cyclist rides at the side of the road, there is always one who will try to squeeze past. I know to my cost! I now always cycle in the middle of the lane; it is too dangerous to do otherwise.

Hopefully soon cyclists will have to have a licence, pass a test, have an MOT for the bike(if over 3years old), be taxed and fully insured.
Most adult cyclists have passed a test; ether to drive a car or motorbike. It then figures that they are as much aware of the Highway Code as any other road user. And a car is far more lethal than a bike. As a van & car driver, a motorbike rider and a cyclist, I can assure you, I am so so much more aware of what is going on around me when I am on my bike.

MOT for bikes? Again, I know I am so much more at risk on my bike, so like all others cyclists I know, my bike is always in 'tip top' condition. Age has nothing to do with it.

I, like every other cyclist I ride with, carry full 3rd party insurance. One reason is because pedestrians don't often hear us coming and some will cross the road without properly looking.

And finally, Most cyclists are taxed!! It's called Income Tax & VAT. We don't pay the Vehicle Excise Duty which is based on emissions for obvious reasons.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back