New Highway Code rules.

I do understand were you are coming from.
You asked me a leading question IE would you like a free boiler, or a free kitchen.
Of course I would like to know who damaged my car, but do I think that making every cyclist wear some form of ID or have a reg plate fitted to their bike is warranted. Well I don’t, and you do, that’s fine.
My concern is this could be a slippery slope to the end of anonymity, and privacy. I think it’s over the top, and I am not aware of any other country making this mandatory.
I read an article last year were you could point your phone at someone and find out all their personal details from their phone. Do I want to live in a world like that, well no I don’t.
However possibly any powered bikes or scooters could be made to do so. I am undecided on that one.
I respect your views, it would be a strange world if we all thought the same way. But I'll leave it at that as the truth is no matter what any of our thoughts are we tend not to get get asked our opinions by those in power and that decide what's they think is best for our lives..
Although life did seem so much more simple 30+ years ago.... lol

There was a programme on tv about these a few weeks ago. When speaking to the dealer they said "we do explain that these are not legal for road use and only to be used on private land" But once they're out of the shop he's no responsibility for how they're used. So the problem there is how to prove the dealers haven't explained this. Same as drone use, You're meant to read the manual, bet most don't.. lol
It's a mad world..
Big sticker in the shop window, but today most are sold online, the f book lot should remove adds with no warning about rd use.

We all have to share increasingly congested public roads 🤷‍♀️

The conflict between motorised vehicles and peddle cyclists/horse riders is a thorny one.
Legislation always seems to be a bit slow catching up with new technologies and how to prevent their misuse - e.g. e-scooters, drones, etc.?

Bit like the Internet! After all, the net is still pretty much Wild West territory and online wars are constantly raging in terms of what you can or can't do/think/say....

Problem is, how long is a piece of string...
Exactly where should you draw the line with 'identifying' all of the above road users riding/driving/operating their mode of transport?

Should there be a distinction between whether the vehicle is engine powered or 'human' powered?
Would you use the maximum speed the 'vehicle' is capable of? Feel free to add your own items to the list.....

Take it to the extreme - should pedestrians wear a visible 'number plate' (ID) when walking around in public, crossing roads etc?

Maybe upcoming new technologies will solve some of the above problems?

What about Quantum Computing, for example?! :devilish:

The conflict between motorised vehicles and peddle cyclists/horse riders is a thorny one.
Legislation always seems to be a bit slow catching up with new technologies and how to prevent their misuse - e.g. e-scooters, drones, etc.?
Bit like the Internet! After all, the net is still pretty much Wild West territory and online wars are constantly raging ....

Exactly where should you draw the line with 'identifying' all of the above road users riding/driving/operating their mode of transport?

Should there be a distinction between whether the vehicle is engine powered or 'human' powered?
Would you use the maximum speed the 'vehicle' is capable of? Feel free to add your own items to the list.....

Take it to the extreme - should pedestrians wear a visible 'number plate' (ID) when walking around in public, crossing roads etc?

There are bad lots in all walks of life Marie - I don't need to tell you that. Pedestrians - yes that would be too extreme.

One thing that does occur to me though is that many places are now introducing 20mph limits which cyclists can easily exceed if they choose to. These 20mph limits are usually where they are most needed ie. outside schools etc. Bad cyclists can (and some do) ride dangerously in these situations.

When I was taking part 2 of my motorcycle test recently, I went through a 20 limit section and was overtaken by a bike, I was also overtaken by a car who came dangerously close to me, I couldn't react much as I was on my test! The examiner said he gets that on a regular basis and he records it on his GoPro and reports it to the police every time. Unfortunately only the drivers (usually) get prosecuted although he said that they lay in wait on more than one occasion and got a mixed bag of both - all locals who should know better.

Bit like the Internet! After all, the net is still pretty much Wild West territory and online wars are constantly raging in terms of what you can or can't do/think/say....

Maybe upcoming new technologies will solve some of the above problems?

What about Quantum Computing, for example?! :devilish:
Pedestrians have foot paths in majority of places for them to keep safe and such has always been the motorist responsibility to keep them safe. Where as cyclist are not allowed by law to ride on paths unless dedicated for them. So they become road users so should be registered as all road users are. Their should maybe be an age limit as to who's allowed to ride on paths of say upto 13 as at 14 they are permitted to use an ebike legally on the road so should be licenced. Even if its only a tenner per year. It will make it easier for the law to deal with the ones that do break the rules as it does for anyone on a moped to a truck. The other thing is that horses don't tend to jump red lights or pullout in front of vehicles. (Unless they've already booted the rider off) lol.

There are bad lots in all walks of life Marie - I don't need to tell you that. Pedestrians - yes that would be too extreme.

One thing that does occur to me though is that many places are now introducing 20mph limits which cyclists can easily exceed if they choose to. These 20mph limits are usually where they are most needed ie. outside schools etc. Bad cyclists can (and some do) ride dangerously in these situations.

When I was taking part 2 of my motorcycle test recently, I went through a 20 limit section and was overtaken by a bike, I was also overtaken by a car who came dangerously close to me, I couldn't react much as I was on my test! The examiner said he gets that on a regular basis and he records it on his GoPro and reports it to the police every time. Unfortunately only the drivers (usually) get prosecuted although he said that they lay in wait on more than one occasion and got a mixed bag of both - all locals who should know better.
This is my point. Where is the fairness of the road. Everyone who uses roads are part of the system of road users and so should be identifiable and take responsibility of their action be it cyclist, to truck driver.

This is my point. Where is the fairness of the road. Everyone who uses roads are part of the system of road users and so should be identifiable and take responsibility of their action be it cyclist, to truck driver.
The thing is that all road users are identifiable: pedestrians, cyclists, e-scooter users, motorcyclists, and drivers -- all identifiable by the same means even if some of the vehicles (or shoes, in the case of peds) are not. All a policeman needs to do is stop them and (provided there is just cause) demand their name and address.
Unfortunately, the bobby on the beat is now a rarity as authorities rely more and more on automation, which sends a very dangerous message to road users: that all they need do to be good and safe drivers or riders is obey the speed limit, traffic lights and a few other absolutes. The whole concept of COAST seems to have gone out of the window, along with the basic principle that everybody is responsible both for their own safety and that of others; and if they can mitigate a dangerous situation then they should do so, even if that means yielding where it's their right of way!
FWIW, I've been involved in significantly fewer near misses since I started asking myself what I could have done differently to avoid each incident and learning from it rather than seeking to lay blame...

This guy makes a good point.
If you ask me they should of put money back into education and put adverts back on the TV like the Green Cross Code Man.. It worked back in the days. Unlike the confusion this will cause.

I certainly think that there should be some sort of TV campaign (if there isn't already that I have missed) to ensure that everybody knows the rules. Maybe in schools too.

Well now you have all got excited over bikes, lets talk about another thing I used to do before my hip problems, horse riding.
The new guidance is to pass horses at more than 2m and less than 10mph, that should wind up so

If you ask me they should of put money back into education and put adverts back on the TV like the Green Cross Code Man.. It worked back in the days. Unlike the confusion this will cause.
Sounds a bit contrived -- particularly his refusal to gesture the peds to cross. However, I've just come back from the shop and seen similar confusion. A chap walking a few yards in front of me on the right-hand side of the road started to cross the entrance to a car park just as two cars were coming from the opposite direction, both indicating to turn left into the car park. The first car accelerated to ensure passing in front of the chap. The second started to follow, realised he couldn't make it and stopped suddenly. The chap, rather sensibly, slowed down so that the car would not have hit him if it had continued. Cue squeal of brakes and blast of horn from the car following (too closely) the one that stopped.
A few minutes later I noticed two women causing havoc by standing next to the kerb at another junction and having a good old chin-wag; completely oblivious that by standing where it might seem likely they were about to cross, they were obliging everyone wanting to turn into or out of the junction to stop and wait :mad:
That said, hopefully things will improve once everyone gets used to the new guidance and all road users do what they should already have been doing... and I agree that spending a bit on road safety infomercials would not go amiss!

Won't wind up really. As I said in an earlier post, horses and riders require 2 brains at work, 1 of which can be highly unpredictable and so majority of people with a brain between the ears do allow room for a horse to decide it's going to do something without input from the rider. But no doubt there will be folk who's never been out of a city and seen one on the road and won't have a clue how to pass safely

To me most of it is common sense which was taught when younfirst blearnt to drive many years ago along with reversing, hand signals and giving way. Still can't see why thwey have brought sat navs into the tests when they claim other things are a distraction like eating a mars bar.

Sounds a bit contrived -- particularly his refusal to gesture the peds to cross. However, I've just come back from the shop and seen similar confusion. A chap walking a few yards in front of me on the right-hand side of the road started to cross the entrance to a car park just as two cars were coming from the opposite direction, both indicating to turn left into the car park. The first car accelerated to ensure passing in front of the chap. The second started to follow, realised he couldn't make it and stopped suddenly. The chap, rather sensibly, slowed down so that the car would not have hit him if it had continued. Cue squeal of brakes and blast of horn from the car following (too closely) the one that stopped.
A few minutes later I noticed two women causing havoc by standing next to the kerb at another junction and having a good old chin-wag; completely oblivious that by standing where it might seem likely they were about to cross, they were obliging everyone wanting to turn into or out of the junction to stop and wait :mad:
That said, hopefully things will improve once everyone gets used to the new guidance and all road users do what they should already have been doing... and I agree that spending a bit on road safety infomercials would not go amiss!
Unless there is mass death and destruction, tv viewers will look away. You have as much chance of educating the general public as you do when trying to educate Pork!

Unless there is mass death and destruction, tv viewers will look away. You have as much chance of educating the general public as you do when trying to educate Pork!
They might look away; they might swear under their breath that HMG is treating them like children! However, with sufficient repetition it'll sink into their psyche. Just think: "You'll wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with ..."; "A ... a day helps you work, rest and play"; "Only a fool breaks the ....... "; etc.

Extending the line of thought always leads me to join the dots of the bigger picture and thus head dangerously down the 'p' road.
I get incandescent with my usual 'raging at the machine', so I cannot possibly comment further! 😁:cool:

.... and breeeeeeeathe..... (y)😇🙏 😂

I certainly think that there should be some sort of TV campaign (if there isn't already that I have missed) to ensure that everybody knows the rules. Maybe in schools too.
There will be a campaign on the TV, Radio, and newspapers Rob.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back