New Highway Code rules.

Rob may recognise this road, on both sides you can see the lines which are for the cycle lane, and this is a typical scene with cars parked completely blocking it.
Yep and here its used when passing a vh turning right, also heating oil trucks & delivery vans park on it, in Germany they are separate from the rd by a 3/5 ft grass verge with a high kirb.
Bad parking in border areas with cars from the republic doing as they wish.
bike lanes.png

Last edited:
When i was in germany the rules were as so, folk and bikes on cycle lane cars etc on the road, if you crossed the road other than a designated place and got hit, tuff titty.

Great in Germany - massive country compared to UK and probably got decent town planners with cycle lanes in the cities that don't b*gger up other vehicle traffic maybe?

The few attempts they had up here during lockdown to create cycle lanes (specifically in Newcastle) caused massive problems when lockdowns were lifted and traffic started to return to 'normal'-ish levels. Think they had to backtrack on one or two schemes? 🙃🥴👎

All very 'British'... ;) 😁🤪

That was when they knew had to make certificates, I've got some that look like that. Swimming certs?

Point taken.

However, our local town spent (I think) £8m on cycle lanes, but many ignore them.
It's bad when you live in a poor area Rob, but our "cycle superhighway" (bollocks it runs through mainly asian areas and is covered in broken glass and parked cars) so you rarely see a bike on it, but in some parts they're on both sides of the road and as a result the road width is very limited, there is even a bus lane on part of it.

The few that they made here are not used, most we kiddies ride their bikes outside the door on the street, adults drive cars, its only club racer boys who cycle and they race on roads.

It is a sad fact that many of the so called cycle lanes are just not fit for purpose. My local council has painted white lines all over some of the roads and paths. Hopefully it didn't cost £8 million, but no one takes any notice of them because they are difficult to maneuver on a bike & take about 4 times as long as the adjacent road.

Cycle lanes have to be convenient, safe and don't unnecessarily extend the journey time.

If a parent hesitates take the children to school on their bikes, because they believe the cycle lane is too disjointed/dangerous, then understandably, the kids will get strapped into the back of the car to make what usually is a very short journey. If there not safe for kids, then there not safe for any cyclist!

In my local town the vast majority of cyclists are youngsters. This is not true of the lanes and roads around us, these are mainly used by older cyclists.

The younger cyclists in town are often (not all of them!) the type who like to ride around mainly with the front wheel 4 feet off the ground and using speed bumps as chicanes and pavements as racetracks. This is why I say many are not using cycle lanes, it just wouldn't look cool!

But trying to set up a registration system for bikes would be difficult and expensive Rob.

Having looked into it a little Bill, I don't think it would be either difficult or expensive.

A police approved database already exists whereby cyclists are allocated a registration number which is stamped onto the frame of the bike. The police then use this to identify stolen bikes and prosecute the thieves. If registering to this database was made compulsory as well as the displaying of the reg number on a belt or patch on a rucksack then it would in fact be quite easy.

Having looked into it a little Bill, I don't think it would be either difficult or expensive.

A police approved database already exists whereby cyclists are allocated a registration number which is stamped onto the frame of the bike. The police then use this to identify stolen bikes and prosecute the thieves. If registering to this database was made compulsory as well as the displaying of the reg number on a belt or patch on a rucksack then it would in fact be quite easy.

What about the millions of kids on bikes? Are we going to be prosecuting seven year olds for riding on the pavement? As I said earlier the last thing we need is yet more legislation and control especially for a problem that isnt really a problem. Its your right as a young hooligan to pull wheelies the wrong way up a one way street surely! :D

Quite easy to mount a small reg no just below the seat post or at the rear wheel mount on the frame, this would also help police/ambulance crews to find parents of a child knocked off, and adults who flout the law same as the car/van/truck drivers, we all need to take more care and responsibility for our auctions.

Rob may recognise this road, on both sides you can see the lines which are for the cycle lane, and this is a typical scene with cars parked completely blocking it.

I do indeed recognise that stretch of road Colin.

Yes the parked car is breaking the law. Interestingly he could be prosecuted for that but if he parked on one of those drives blocking the homeowner in he could not be prosecuted.

Sorry Rob, but I am with Barry on this one.
It just seems over the top to me.
I do think that carrying government ID should be mandatory for over a certain age.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back