New Highway Code rules.

Sorry Rob, but I am with Barry on this one.
It just seems over the top to me.
I do think that carrying government ID should be mandatory for over a certain age.

That's fair enough Bill, maybe for over 16's?

I can't see why anybody would object to it to be honest. If you've nothing to hide you've nothing to worry about, and it would be no real inconvenience displaying a number?

I can't see why anybody would object to it to be honest. If you've nothing to hide you've nothing to worry about, and it would be no real inconvenience displaying a number?
Rob my concern here is were does this end.
Everywhere you go now you are in cctv, so how about pedestrians having to show a number whilst out and about. I would much rather see better more effective policing of bad drivers sitting behind over a ton off car with 150 plus BHP, than cyclists having to display number plates. And I am not talking about speeding which causes hardly any accidents, I am talking about what I and others see nearly every trip, drivers who behave badly on our roads. For me that would make driving safer. As I said before I like the Swedish system were you get a number plate for life, and your number can be viewed by anyone online.

Rob my concern here is were does this end.
Everywhere you go now you are in cctv, so how about pedestrians having to show a number whilst out and about. I would much rather see better more effective policing of bad drivers sitting behind over a ton off car with 150 plus BHP, than cyclists having to display number plates. And I am not talking about speeding which causes hardly any accidents, I am talking about what I and others see nearly every trip, drivers who behave badly on our roads.

I'm probably in a minority Bill in that I like the fact that there is CCTV everywhere. Many abductions/murders/assaults could have been prevented or at least the police would have their investigation work helped massively if there was more CCTV and camcorders were compulsory in cars.

I worked in London for most of my life and if you witnessed how cyclists behaved there... many times I have seen them punch car doors or windows, even break off wing mirrors because they judge the driver as having got too close to them. Of course they can't be prosecuted because they disappear into the traffic.

I agree that there should perhaps be more effective policing of bad drivers - especially using mobile 'phones but that is entirely a different subject. I just don't see that making one group of users as accountable as the rest should be a problem to anybody. As I said before - what possible harm could it do?

Let's face it though, it ain't going to happen so probably not worth worrying about.

I'm probably in a minority Bill in that I like the fact that there is CCTV everywhere. Many abductions/murders/assaults could have been prevented or at least the police would have their investigation work helped massively if there was more CCTV and camcorders were compulsory in cars.

I worked in London for most of my life and if you witnessed how cyclists behaved there... many times I have seen them punch car doors or windows, even break off wing mirrors because they judge the driver as having got too close to them. Of course they can't be prosecuted because they disappear into the traffic.

I agree that there should perhaps be more effective policing of bad drivers - especially using mobile 'phones but that is entirely a different subject. I just don't see that making one group of users as accountable as the rest should be a problem to anybody. As I said before - what possible harm could it do?

Let's face it though, it ain't going to happen so probably not worth worrying about.
I am all in favour of as much cctv as we can get Rob.
But sadly I witnessed far to often the results of dangerous driving, and even sadder on many occasions the culprit was unhurt, whilst the innocent party was killed.
It’s been mentioned before, but we should be encouraging the use of bikes.

I do indeed recognise that stretch of road Colin.

Yes the parked car is breaking the law. Interestingly he could be prosecuted for that but if he parked on one of those drives blocking the homeowner in he could not be prosecuted.
I don't think I've ever driven along there without seeing several cars parked on the cycle way, mind you I don't ever recall seeing a bike along there since the bike lanes where marked, many years ago the old chap who was gardener at work used to ride his bike along there, seeing him cross the A1 was terrifying. 😳

Sorry Rob, but I am with Barry on this one.
It just seems over the top to me.
I do think that carrying government ID should be mandatory for over a certain age.
So if you're waiting at red lights as an example and someone came down the side of your motor and caused scratched/damage then just pedalled off through the red light (as alot do) with out any concern you wouldn't want to identify them? Carrying ID in their pocket isn't gonna help you get a respray or dent pulling..

So if you're waiting at red lights as an example and someone came down the side of your motor and caused scratched/damage then just pedalled off through the red light (as alot do) with out any concern you wouldn't want to identify them? Carrying ID in their pocket isn't gonna help you get a respray or dent pulling..
Or if someones dog walked out in front of you causing an accident would you also like the owner to be readily identified.

Worse things happen in front of CCTV cameras everyday, possibly another reason to mark us all out for ID.

Were does this end.

Easy to sort with a child under say 14, but still should have a identifier of sorts.
Kids under 14 are not allowed by law on the roads on ebikes, so there's the age to start registering them. As you say younger kids are normally staying around their homes playing on the streets etc. It's mainly the older folk that go out on longer rides that registration could help. National speed limit roads are what concerns me more than around towns. But it's out of town that you find the groups spread out in groups etc. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82 If all cyclist over the age of 14 was displaying a registration of some means and all followed the law themselves then all would be fine.

The Wife and I have ID Rob. We took part in the pilot scheme for the UK ID card system. That was originally just a fingerprint and eyeball scan to verify ID then it failed because all sorts of other personal info was going to be added. No wonder it never got off the ground.

Facebook is full of adds selling illegal high powered scooters and bikes, belfast and housing estates are full of them going like a bat out off hell, plod is lifting them but don't think they will get on top until the sellers are taken to court as not stating for private land use only.
scoot a.png
scoot b.png
scoot c.png
scoot d.png

Or if someones dog walked out in front of you causing an accident would you also like the owner to be readily identified.

Worse things happen in front of CCTV cameras everyday, possibly another reason to mark us all out for ID.

Were does this end.
Generally the dogs are all chipped now and so would be identifiable, Plus majority of dogs are insured due to high vet fees and so are covered for such events. The world has gone mad, it is a claim claim society sadly.
In a way it's a similar situation to wild camping, we who do not leave a mess behind to those that don't give a dam. We wish for those that have no respect for the areas that we all love could be identified and punished for the disgrace they leave behind but sadly they are mostly unidentifiable, where as us that respect that areas get thrown into the same group as those.
Hence cyclist, Majority are fine but the bad eggs among them don't give a dam about others, So I do believe that those that ride with the respect of other road users were to have a form of visible ID which would help show the ones that ride unruly by riding unsafely and without due care and attention, (red-light, more than 2 abreast, not moving to single file to allow safe passing of others Not having lights on etc etc.)
I only yesterday had a guy on a bike come off the pavement went across both lanes Infront of me and oncoming traffic! We had to brake sharply (in a 20mph zone) and if he was displaying some form of ID he might of not done this as he would know he would of been identifiable and prosecuted for dangerous riding without due care and attention.
For those responsible riders surely they would like to get rid of the bad name these thoughtless riders give the majority. Like we would like to be able to be seen and accepted as considerate campers.
When you think about it, We pass a car test and can drive a car, then to ride a motorcycle you need to pass a separate test and so on. BUT you drive your car all the time abiding all the laws of the road, but you jump onto your motorbike and get a ban and you loose your licence for all. A cycle is still a form of transport but folk can get away with causing all sorts of issues with no chance of comeback on them.
So yes everyone needs to be safe, thoughtful of other road users but all should be identifiable and accountable for their actions.

Facebook is full of adds selling illegal high powered scooters and bikes, belfast and housing estates are full of them going like a bat out off hell, plod is lifting them but don't think they will get on top until the sellers are taken to court as not stating for private land use only.View attachment 105696View attachment 105697View attachment 105698View attachment 105699
There was a programme on tv about these a few weeks ago. When speaking to the dealer they said "we do explain that these are not legal for road use and only to be used on private land" But once they're out of the shop he's no responsibility for how they're used. So the problem there is how to prove the dealers haven't explained this. Same as drone use, You're meant to read the manual, bet most don't.. lol
It's a mad world..

Generally the dogs are all chipped now and so would be identifiable, Plus majority of dogs are insured due to high vet fees and so are covered for such events. The world has gone mad, it is a claim claim society sadly.
In a way it's a similar situation to wild camping, we who do not leave a mess behind to those that don't give a dam. We wish for those that have no respect for the areas that we all love could be identified and punished for the disgrace they leave behind but sadly they are mostly unidentifiable, where as us that respect that areas get thrown into the same group as those.
Hence cyclist, Majority are fine but the bad eggs among them don't give a dam about others, So I do believe that those that ride with the respect of other road users were to have a form of visible ID which would help show the ones that ride unruly by riding unsafely and without due care and attention, (red-light, more than 2 abreast, not moving to single file to allow safe passing of others Not having lights on etc etc.)
I only yesterday had a guy on a bike come off the pavement went across both lanes Infront of me and oncoming traffic! We had to brake sharply (in a 20mph zone) and if he was displaying some form of ID he might of not done this as he would know he would of been identifiable and prosecuted for dangerous riding without due care and attention.
For those responsible riders surely they would like to get rid of the bad name these thoughtless riders give the majority. Like we would like to be able to be seen and accepted as considerate campers.
When you think about it, We pass a car test and can drive a car, then to ride a motorcycle you need to pass a separate test and so on. BUT you drive your car all the time abiding all the laws of the road, but you jump onto your motorbike and get a ban and you loose your licence for all. A cycle is still a form of transport but folk can get away with causing all sorts of issues with no chance of comeback on them.
So yes everyone needs to be safe, thoughtful of other road users but all should be identifiable and accountable for their actions.
I do understand were you are coming from.
You asked me a leading question IE would you like a free boiler, or a free kitchen.
Of course I would like to know who damaged my car, but do I think that making every cyclist wear some form of ID or have a reg plate fitted to their bike is warranted. Well I don’t, and you do, that’s fine.
My concern is this could be a slippery slope to the end of anonymity, and privacy. I think it’s over the top, and I am not aware of any other country making this mandatory.
I read an article last year were you could point your phone at someone and find out all their personal details from their phone. Do I want to live in a world like that, well no I don’t.
However possibly any powered bikes or scooters could be made to do so. I am undecided on that one.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back