NEW DVLA Van To Motorcaravan Requirements

Aviva have given consistently good rates for vans, when converted I ring around, currently with Adrian Flux.
Highest quote so far for van in my postcode was £7000 :LOL: , guess they weren't interested. Neither was I

So what are vans with lift up roofs classified as? They only seem to be interested in high top roofs. Surely this could hit all those VW camper van converters and similar who fit lift up roofs and not high roofs. And what about factory VW campers with lift up roofs?

Can't understand why roof lights are not mentioned since the reason for two windows is for light and air. We got to the stage where we have all but the awning and did contemplate fixing a pipe to roof for photo....but have given up on the whole thing. The full guidance actually says that speed limits and insurance should be no problem if fitted as a motorhome internally. But I think they have to test this yet. Been trying to work out if it will have an impact on road tax but am completely confused by the gov website! Insurance due Dec so will see what the situation is then.o_O

Yeah Good Point REC reference the Roof Lights’ that would make more sense than Side windows as they would offer permanent ventilation as well 🤔.
(Or at least mine does)

Yeah Good Point REC reference the Roof Lights’ that would make more sense than Side windows as they would offer permanent ventilation as well 🤔.
(Or at least mine does)
I guess that the rationale is that roof lights aren't as easily seen on the move.

Jeez, this country is getting more and more like North Korea, what next, specific clothing to drive a vehicle? The high roof is just ridiculous, I am a short arse so wouldn't need a high roof. What do they mean by awning bars to either side, what is an awning bar? What constitutes 'caravan style graphics', is it slashes of colour or can you have scenes as some do?
The days of stealth campers are numbered.
It isn't climate change we should be fearful of, it's governmental control which year by year is eroding ever more personal freedoms.

Stop the world, I want to get off!😡
do two windows on one side let in more light than one window on each side and surely if light is an issue the side with windows should be south facing at all times

I reckon they added the 'light' phrase so they can reject vans that have fitted very small windows to comply with the new 'regs'.

sorted I’ll get one of these fae Amazon

Attachments

• 4E5AA8D9-8322-448B-8FCF-63007A2DA9B2.jpeg
    4E5AA8D9-8322-448B-8FCF-63007A2DA9B2.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 128
Personally I wouldn't want to travel around or live in a campervan with no side windows or a low roof or a sliding door and by that l mean a van sliding door, you know the ones that piss you off. A palm tree graphic never hurt anyone but l the awning is a step too far .

Agreed. A lot of the requirements ( high roof, side Windows etc) were on my list anyway when I chose my donor vehicle, a 5.5tonne Iveco bus. Never factored an awning into the build tho, but thought a wind out canopy could be handy. Wonder if one of those would count?...

Agreed. A lot of the requirements ( high roof, side Windows etc) were on my list anyway when I chose my donor vehicle, a 5.5tonne Iveco bus. Never factored an awning into the build tho, but thought a wind out canopy could be handy. Wonder if one of those would count?...
Call me thick but to me an awning is a canopy.

There's a lot of over-thinking going on.
For whatever reason (police concern about ringing vehicles at the time) DVLA are now applying the 'look like a camper' criterion for body type change introduced several years ago.
They've finally published the key factors they consider to be essential for external recognition - which let's face it aren't unreasonable.
1. You need to be able to stand in it or it's not habitable and whilst they won't accept a pop-top no-one complaining here has said that's what they installed.
2. There should be natural light to the living area and they say 2 windows behind the cab doors on one side one which will serve the whole living area - that's not a lot to ask. Are there any camper vans at first registration that don't have 2 side windows on one side?
3. A separate access to living space has always been a requirement.
4. An 'awning rail' is something a very high proportion of camper vans have and isn't a big deal to screw on for the photos (but second hand and resell if not wanted?)
5. Camper van graphics - again at first registration a very high proportion of camper vans have them.

do two windows on one side let in more light than one window on each side and surely if light is an issue the side with windows should be south facing at all times
Excellent point .
So if the two windows are on the passenger side you just have to , permanently , travel in a westerly direction ?
Easterly , of course , if said windows were on the driver's side .
This would of course change , yet again , in the case of a left hand drive vehicle .
All seems pretty straightforward

You've forgotten the suggestion about the windows being on the backside in which case which case we'll need both alternative driving positions so the driver can use windows on the front doors whilst travelling sideways. 😀😀

We've been discussing speed limits in light of DVLA comments.
I found this

It looks as if Vans with Windows are allowed car speed limits if under 2.04T unladen.
So converted crew cabs probably met the criteria anyway and a converted panel van that gets Van with Windows reclassification could easily qualify.
You will need to check actual unladen weight of course rather than rely on a factory plate if you want to convince plod.

So some good news for smaller low-line conversions that don't meet hab height rules.

• Thank You
Reactions: REC
5. Camper van graphics - again at first registration a very high proportion of camper vans have them.
[/QUOTE]
Graphics were the first thing i removed,hate them as they look like a dicked up ice cream van.

There's a lot of over-thinking going on.
For whatever reason (police concern about ringing vehicles at the time) DVLA are now applying the 'look like a camper' criterion for body type change introduced several years ago.
They've finally published the key factors they consider to be essential for external recognition - which let's face it aren't unreasonable.
1. You need to be able to stand in it or it's not habitable and whilst they won't accept a pop-top no-one complaining here has said that's what they installed.
2. There should be natural light to the living area and they say 2 windows behind the cab doors on one side one which will serve the whole living area - that's not a lot to ask. Are there any camper vans at first registration that don't have 2 side windows on one side?
3. A separate access to living space has always been a requirement.
4. An 'awning rail' is something a very high proportion of camper vans have and isn't a big deal to screw on for the photos (but second hand and resell if not wanted?)

my van is now going to be excluded for both the fact it is a poptop and the fact it only has 1 window on each side behind the cab [despite the fact they are full size, as is the rear window and there is a further window in the poptop]............
plus side is it has graphics which say "Autocampers" and "dayVan", and it has an Awning rail.

My problem is when that when I bough the van I knew the only problem with getting it changed to camper on the V5 was that it didn't have the fixed 2 burner hob .... and I could resolve that guite easily............ Now I have 2 big structural problems that I cant fix.... and this is going to be the same with a lot of traditional camper vans on both the VW Transporter and the Transit Custom base.

does changing it to a "van with Windows" help move it from the commercial vehicle status from an insurance point of view?

Graphics were the first thing i removed,hate them as they look like a dicked up ice cream van.
[/QUOTE]
Couldn't agree more cheap and nasty .
Removed them , painted van a smart grey colour .
My van looks really good thought about sending pictures to manufacturers .
After reading all these regulations/guidelines started to wonder if they are finished like this because of DVLA .
I'm assuming probably not ?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back