NEW DVLA Van To Motorcaravan Requirements

Nesting Zombie

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Enough said 😏
You should check out the latest release Requirements from DVLA !.
Windows, Decals, Roof, Awning fittings !
Good luck to anyone with thoughts of re registering You ‘May’ have to cut your roof off !

Look at -
External Permeant features

https://assets.publishing.service.g.../v1006-motor-caravan-conversion-checklist.pdf

So Semi high tops ain’t going to do either!.
Possibly aimed at combatting sneaking under height barriers in car parks !.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Harrow,

Yeah it certainly has, I think the ‘Decals’ & Awning fittings Requirements that Although are easy to put on are just a plane CRAZY Requirement !.
Ok so fit a second window in one side you’r body work, Yeah fair enough. But I think the ‘Hight top Roof’ Might be a problem to some.

Never thought about this before is there any great advantages for a pvc to be registered as a motorhome

Jeez, this country is getting more and more like North Korea, what next, specific clothing to drive a vehicle? The high roof is just ridiculous, I am a short arse so wouldn't need a high roof. What do they mean by awning bars to either side, what is an awning bar? What constitutes 'caravan style graphics', is it slashes of colour or can you have scenes as some do?
The days of stealth campers are numbered.
It isn't climate change we should be fearful of, it's governmental control which year by year is eroding ever more personal freedoms.

Stop the world, I want to get off!😡

Last edited:
Jeez, this country is getting more and more like North Korea, what next, specific clothing to drive a vehicle? The high roof is just ridiculous, I am a short arse so wouldn't need a high roof. What do they mean by awning bars to both sides, what is an awning bar? What constitutes 'caravan style graphics', is it slashes of colour or can you have scenes as some do?
The days of stealth campers are numbered.
It isn't climate change we should be fearful of, it's governmental control which year by year is eroding ever more personal freedoms.

Stop the world, I want to get off!😡
Some totally absurd rules . I suspect if a legal minded owner challenged these regs they would win hands down

Think you need to re-read what they have said. You don’t have to have everything. You do need the 2 side windows though and a combination of the others. As for vehicle types they have covered everything apart from a Bus. As usual it is all very ambiguous and they can reject anything if they don’t like the look of it.

Two side windows is simple, sliding door, roof rack with an awning and a couple of graphics.

We spotted a French MH on the way to Spain. Totally white Luton Box van with what looked like a house aluminium door in the side. Oh and a small ladder to climb up.

Last edited:
I think that if you read the DVLA website then you will realise that they want all of the items on the tick list.
Indeed if the didn't want them all then they'd say 'x of' - in my view these are pretty sensible one needs light and height.
Graphics and an awning are a bit cosmetic but cheap enough.
It's far far from ambiguous - 5 simple clear criteria all of which you can demonstrate with photos.

Last edited:
All it says is tick the ones you have ..

Like to see a high top Luton Van or a high top MPV.

Last edited:
I'd say a Luton van has a high top roof and would tick it - without 5 ticks they won't even look at the photos!
When they do then they'll assess what they see.
Unless you add permanent high roof to an mpv it won't get approved.
This thread is running on motorhome.com and there's a guy with a very nicely converted transit van who's been rejected 3 times - unfortunately because it's standard height even if he adds the extra windows and awning rail (whatever that is) I don't think it'll pass.
Height is definitely an issue but I really do expect anything with enough height to walk around in to pass the high top criteria.

Interesting tha DVLA are saying that if the V5 description makes no difference to speed limits.
Not sure whether they are saying that you can go faster if the inside complies?

Why do these agencies seem to just make things harder for us all the time? As long as your conversion is of a reasonable standard & not compromising any safety aspects, why the hell should it be a problem getting reclassified? What harm are we trying to do that everyone needs protecting from? Bloody jobsworths justifying their own positions, that's all I can see. Then to say you can still use it as a camper even without reclassification is ridiculous, why bother at all then? Why do we need to be stopped from doing what we want as long as we hurt no-one else? Could this all be our punishment for voting for Brexit??😡

We're not being stopped from what we want to do.
It's just that if we want to take advantage of the benefits the government offers we have to meet their criteria.
So if we want a stealth van that we can't stand up in and doesn't have windows we can do it.
We don't even have to meet the internal criteria either.
The choice is ours.
As someone said what do you call a camper without a toilet and shower?
Answer - a van!

Just talked to some ins guys here,if its not motorcaravan in log book then its com van and must be ins as such prof of running a biz,so folk in NI are stuffed unless a english co will cover as SDP, but it will still have to do a more stringent PSV test as thats what Log Book says.
Thank heavens mine has many years reg as camper. :)

Just talked to some ins guys here,if its not motorcaravan in log book then its com van and must be ins as such prof of running a biz,so folk in NI are stuffed unless a english co will cover as SDP, but it will still have to do a more stringent PSV test as thats what Log Book says.
Thank heavens mine has many years reg as camper. :)
This is the biggest problem for home converters the insurance companies will say its not a van but its also not a camper.

Never had a problem getting insurance. Either as a van that is in the process of being converted, or as a camper that's still registered as a van.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back