NEW DVLA Van To Motorcaravan Requirements

Has anyone considered that with all newly converted motorhomes having to be high tops the restrictions on parking up regarding 'hight barriers' are assisting the local authorities to get their way?
A lot of folks will still just build what they want in any van and either not reclassify or go for van with windows. It is only really likely to have a bearing on resale value isn’t it?

Has anyone considered that with all newly converted motorhomes having to be high tops the restrictions on parking up regarding 'hight barriers' are assisting the local authorities to get their way?
Maybe bit conspiratorial ? Though nothing would surprise me .
I do doubt anyone has joined the dots that much . I would suggest government regulations were drawn up by someone using a colouring-in book

A lot of folks will still just build what they want in any van and either not reclassify or go for van with windows. It is only really likely to have a bearing on resale value isn’t it?
I'd reckon resale value is most likely to be influenced by condition and layout.
From what we've learnt the most likely reason for being Van with Windows will be a lack of height as other conditions are fairly cheap to achieve.
If buyers are happy with that will they be savvy enough to check the body type on V5 or even worry anyway?

I see no problem with those requirements apart from the awning rail. I don’t like awnings, they can’t be used in most wilding locations.
Fixing an awning rail for a photo & then removing it seems a messy business.
Decals are easy, cut some shapes from Fablon or similar, take photo, then peel them off.

Interesting about Trading Standards.
DVLA seem to suggest that if internal mods meet criteria it can still be used as a motorcaravan.
My gut reaction is that what you see is what you get.

I see no problem with those requirements apart from the awning rail. I don’t like awnings, they can’t be used in most wilding locations.
Fixing an awning rail for a photo & then removing it seems a messy business.
Decals are easy, cut some shapes from Fablon or similar, take photo, then peel them off.
Would the J channel type awning rails comply do you think?

What is an awning rail?
Are talking of the slot an awning slides into as on a caravan or an actual roll out awning?
I suspect the latter.

If a converter wants reclassification they'll fit an awning.
If they don't want an awning they won't.

Last edited:
Interesting about Trading Standards.
DVLA seem to suggest that if internal mods meet criteria it can still be used as a motorcaravan.
My gut reaction is that what you see is what you get.
May need to watch the wording in adverts but if private sale would it matter anyway?

Certain Merc. vans have a high roof version which gives 6'-3" clear headroom before linings,
the low roof version gives 5'-10" clear headroom before lining. Would the low roof option
being sufficiently high enough to qualify as a "high roof" or would only the high option be
acceptable.....semantics.
As a PHGV seat belts may not be fitted or required, but when changing to PHGV Motorcaravan
designation seat belts are a requirement, at least was the case for my van, but as always, there's
hardly a need to add the caveat 'that things might have recently changed'.

It’s like most things I suppose Nab,
‘Byer beware’ !
I’m guessing that it won’t make any difference at all, I’m sure that 10s of Thousands of Campers & Motorhomes have changed hands AS such, But on the Registration doc it’s either Van derived car Or Motorcaravan !.

Ref #74
I'll bet DVLA are expecting hab area to be obviously higher than top of cab door.
When sending photos including one of a man standing inside might be sensible if external photos don't clearly demonstrate "high-top"

What is an awning rail?
Are talking of the slot an awning slides into as on a caravan or an actual roll out awning?
I suspect the latter.

On the form it mentions an awning bar, not rails.
That sound like a retractable awning.
Most campers don’t come with an awning as standard, does this mean all commercial converters will have to fit them?
Also, an interesting point, what will manufactured pop tops like the VW Californian have on their logbooks?

I'm sure the new regulations will be challenged. Too many businesses both small and large providing to a big market the guidelines completely ignore, and that's not even taking DIY into account. It could all be in the terminology. You reregister a van as a Motor Caravan, surely Motor Caravan has to include both what are generally considered Camper Vans and Motorhomes.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back