New camp site

I’ve been an HGV mechanic for 35years and trying to help by explaining a wheel bearing doesn’t just blow!
Probably been rolling along quite happily getting towards the end of its service life... Just happily doing bearingy type things
And a few drops off the crumbling road edge have done what would've taken several thousands of normal smooth road driving.

Components don't ALWAYS give easily identifiable warning signs.... Without extensive stripping and examination.

Sometimes we just have to deal with the results.

After sitting here 8 hours waiting for the breakdown truck, I just phoned to see what was going on as they were over 2 hours late. Only to be told there has been a miscommunication and basically we have been forgotten about.
Just had a text that a breakdown vehicle is an hour away but they are situated over 4 hours “car” drive away. I asked if the recovery truck was flying here to get here that quick!

After sitting here 8 hours waiting for the breakdown truck, I just phoned to see what was going on as they were over 2 hours late. Only to be told there has been a miscommunication and basically we have been forgotten about.
Just had a text that a breakdown vehicle is an hour away but they are situated over 4 hours “car” drive away. I asked if the recovery truck was flying here to get here that quick!
Only asking, 🤭 if there was a miscommunication did you state what size and weight your vehicle is to the guy coming to pick you up?

P.s. do you take the drink? If so you can get bladdered as you won't be driving.

P.s. do you take the drink? If so you can get bladdered as you won't be driving.
The thought has occurred to us and plenty of booze on board. 🍻The thing is the driver of the recovery vehicle will be over his allocated driving hours by the time he gets to us 🤔

The thought has occurred to us and plenty of booze on board. 🍻The thing is the driver of the recovery vehicle will be over his allocated driving hours by the time he gets to us 🤔
Hope you told him to bring a bottle then.😂

Caledonia is right but I believe this vehicle is new to you, the rumblings will not be so evident and you might possibly be just thinking it isn't as quiet as you would like, personally I would ask them to check the other wheel bearing as well, poor road conditions damage suspension components not wheel bearings.
I know this isn't helpful either so sorry that I cannot do more but good luck with it

Caledonia is right but I believe this vehicle is new to you, the rumblings will not be so evident and you might possibly be just thinking it isn't as quiet as you would like, personally I would ask them to check the other wheel bearing as well, poor road conditions damage suspension components not wheel bearings.
I know this isn't helpful either so sorry that I cannot do more but good luck with it
Old vehicles take a lot of maintenance and parts are often hard to find and expensive. My friend has a similar Merc to the OP and it’s an ongoing joke as to what’s going to break when he goes away in it. Last time was the clutch slave cylinder. Time before that was injector pipes, before that was his starter and he ripped the back end off it on the Corran ferry.

We had it for around 15 years and it’s been ultra reliable. Used only Mercedes parts when possible. Wheels off every year to check brakes and bearings. Very easy to maintain. Yes we have caught wheel bearings showing sign of wear and replaced them. When I worked with the motor trade I fixed the faults they couldn’t. I have had a little experience.

best of luck with getting it sorted soon.
not got any words of wisdom other than at least you can wait in relative comfort.
Thanks David, my series connected solar panels are still charging in the mist and rain. ;) We are now on the third recovery company. If they would have said I could have had it recovered myself. l think we’ll be in Scotland till next week. Parts ordered from Mercedes, but I can’t give them a delivery address yet.

We had it for around 15 years and it’s been ultra reliable. Used only Mercedes parts when possible. Wheels off every year to check brakes and bearings. Very easy to maintain. Yes we have caught wheel bearings showing sign of wear and replaced them. When I worked with the motor trade I fixed the faults they couldn’t. I have had a little experience.
Sorry, I was under the impression that it was new to you, as for your experience that is something that we don't know when giving advice, sympathy or any other information, I am also ex trade and I have owned mine for almost 20 years, I know every inch of it but sometimes £$%^ happens so I hope you get it sorted soon

The truck garage in Kinlochbervie (not the petrol station) does recovery and there is a truck workshop over the road from them. only a few miles down the road from you.
They will certainly be able to fix it.

Norman Elrick Tel 01971 521216

Mobile 07796 008575 - Just mention his name to any local, and they will know him.

Last edited:
Absolute nightmare for you! Hope you are recovered by now and that you get it all fixed quickly. We had one trip where the van ended up in the garage on three occasions, second and third problems linked to first. It was only a two week jaunt in the first place! But at least it was a small van and actually drivable to the garage. Got to know Louth very well, having had to while away hours waiting!

We are the latest residents of Helmsdale, or it seems that way. Two very nice men in turn recovered us. One with a very big recovery truck and a taxi driver. The drive here was fascinating, both visually and intellectually. I have never seen so many deer. The Bus has never been as fast!

This morning we examined the damage, it seems the force of off roading stripped the lock nut holding the outer bearing in place. The rest of the damage due to the rollers escaping the cage. Good news is hub is fine. Bad news is the threads are mutilated on the stub axel. The other bad news is that Mercedes can’t get the parts to us until Tuesday for the cheap option. The expensive option requires parts from Germany and the garage is not keen on doing that repair. I don’t mind doing it as I’ve done a few. The first try will be a cheaper temporary option to get us home.

To many to mention individually, but a massive thank you all for dropping by and offering help and best wishes.
It brings tears to my eyes thinking about it.

543AB4E4-78EB-4A3F-805E-4E087596C037.jpeg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back