New camp site

SquirrellCook

We’ve been forced into doing some unintended wild camping! We are parked in a passing place with a blown front wheel bearing. I guess too much off roading trying to avoid cars. How long we will be stuck here who knows, they are trying to find a recovery vehicle big enough for us. We are halfway between Durness and Achlyness. :(

We’ve been forced into doing some unintended wild camping! We are parked in a passing place with a blown front wheel bearing. I guess too much off roading trying to avoid cars. How long we will be stuck here who knows, they are trying to find a recovery vehicle big enough for us. We are halfway between Durness and Achlyness. :(
It’s an easy job to replace the front wheel bearings. Why not get a garage to come and knock the old bearings out, get the numbers off them and get new ones at Inverness and fit them. Rather than getting recovered. Are the bearings seized or collapsed?

I guess the nearest recovery agent is Tongue Garage? They don’t have a vehicle that’ll recover your van. I suppose one of the Inverness recovery agents will have to attend, that then begs the question where they’ll recover you to?

It’s an easy job to replace the front wheel bearings. Why not get a garage to come and knock the old bearings out, get the numbers off them and get new ones at Inverness and fit them. Rather than getting recovered. Are the bearings seized or collapsed?
It’s a mess, the rollers chewed all they could find on their way out. The stub axle could be shot too. The lock nut has a pinch bolt that can no longer be seen. This is not like a front wheel drive van.

It’s a mess, the rollers chewed all they could find on their way out. The stub axle could be shot too. The lock nut has a pinch bolt that can no longer be seen. This is not like a front wheel drive van.
Did you not here it rumbling before it gave up? Looks like Ross will come and get you.

Did you not here it rumbling before it gave up? Looks like Ross will come and get you.
No we were run off the road and thought we had a puncture, couldn’t see anything wrong but it became hard to steer after a few metres. Managed to get to a passing place, but the rollers had eaten their way out of the little steel cover.

Just spoke to a highland council officer who stopped to see if we were ok. Apparently wheel bearing and wheel failure are a common sight along here. He thinks we’ll have a long wait for recovery due to our size. So much for dieting!

A wheel bearing is a component that wears over time and will give signs of deterioration before catastrophic failure. Road conditions won’t force a bearing to fail unless it was already fubarred. Hope you get recovered and back on the road soon.

Sorry to read about your trouble ,hope you get back on the toad ASAP ,all the best

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back