Motorome Lumpy cold starting problem

Its that long since it was driven down a long pass, 2017 probably I Cant remember. Blue I think.
Then it's burning oil if the smoke is blue.
If that is indeed the case then you should be seeing a drop on the dipstick level.

Then it's burning oil if the smoke is blue.
If that is indeed the case then you should be seeing a drop on the dipstick level.

Very seldom I check it to be honest and when I do its always where it should be. Its no big deal. Been like that for as long as I can remember and as said its that long since I came down an Alpine pass it may well have been resolved along the way but doubtful. :D Its days of going over the Alps are over I reckon anyway.

Can you see the glowplug relay? Does it click on then back off a few seconds later? If yes then try this...
Can you fit an illuminated switch on your dash taking live from the battery then onto the switching side of the relays (having removed the old wiring)
Can you then also take a high amperage cable (6mm+ ?) Direct from your good battery positive to the relay to then power the glow plugs
This effectively replaces your existing glow plug supply circuitry and gives them a good strong supply.
This assuming the plugs are OK and there are no earthing problems.
If you still don't get 12v out of the relay then it must be the culprit.(?)
Good luck
K ;)

Can you see the glowplug relay? Does it click on then back off a few seconds later? If yes then try this...
Can you fit an illuminated switch on your dash taking live from the battery then onto the switching side of the relays (having removed the old wiring)
Can you then also take a high amperage cable (6mm+ ?) Direct from your good battery positive to the relay to then power the glow plugs
This effectively replaces your existing glow plug supply circuitry and gives them a good strong supply.
This assuming the plugs are OK and there are no earthing problems.
If you still don't get 12v out of the relay then it must be the culprit.(?)
Good luck
K ;)

Thanks. I Cant do any of that but the Garage have fitted a new relay and they reckon its getting ten volts now. They said it should be 11. It was a bit better when I started it the other day but the weather has also warmed up a bit. Interesting what you have posted though. Ill pass it on should I decide to get them to investigate further.

After a long downhill run, is it white or blue smoke?
I was always led to believe that smoking after a downhill run with the throttle closed was due to oil being drawn into the cylinders past the seals on the valve stems.
Only on a carbed petrol engine as there is a vacuum once butterfly shut, diesels are always open air so no vac.

Very seldom I check it to be honest and when I do its always where it should be. Its no big deal. Been like that for as long as I can remember and as said its that long since I came down an Alpine pass it may well have been resolved along the way but doubtful. :D Its days of going over the Alps are over I reckon anyway.
I check my oil before and after a long trip, lights tires and all fluids etc, naughty boy I will train you yet.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back