Motorome Lumpy cold starting problem

Glow plugs will be easily visible next to the injectors. They can be tested with a multimeter.

I think some time ago the garage said they had done this and they were fine but I also seem to remember there was maybe one plug that they could not get to or something like that. I should write this stuff down!

My iveco 2.8 will start without the warming of the glow plugs, some other engines are like this.
My Sprinter does, don’t know how they work the glow plugs or whatever the element is in them. Barry’s is a Fiat though so not the same

Na just go out on the bike. (y)

I think the little Honda be on its last legs as well now. Smells like its burning after it gets properly warmed up.
My Sprinter does, don’t know how they work the glow plugs or whatever the element is in them. Barry’s is a Fiat though so not the same

Its a Peugeot Boxer 1996 but I think its basically the Fiat 2.5td or the other way around, cant remember.

I think the little Honda be on its last legs as well now. Smells like its burning after it gets properly warmed up.

Its a Peugeot Boxer 1996 but I think its basically the Fiat 2.5td or the other way around, cant remember.
Was that not the old iveco engine called sofim, later rebuilt to 2.8 and turbo fitted.

Was that not the old iveco engine called sofim, later rebuilt to 2.8 and turbo fitted.

Dunno. In hindsight I wish I had gone for the 2.8TD which I believe was brought in around the time my van was made but I was more concerned with payloads and layout than what drove it. To be fair though its never let me down apart from the odd belt, cable, radiator etc. General stuff that goes.

Dunno. In hindsight I wish I had gone for the 2.8TD which I believe was brought in around the time my van was made but I was more concerned with payloads and layout than what drove it. To be fair though its never let me down apart from the odd belt, cable, radiator etc. General stuff that goes.
Your van now sounds like you ...

... cold, lumpy and hard to start. :ROFLMAO:

As your not mechanically minded, get into reputable independent garage. A quick resistance check on glow plugs will tell if it's plug or power supply.
But it does sound very much like glow plugs.
There isn't any replacement schedule for glow plugs. They are thought to last about 100k miles. As there is no scheduled maintenance, people leave them until they break down. This is why a lot of people have issues breaking them on removal. I have 6mm plugs in my Berlingo, which have a shear torque of 20Nm. 10mm plugs have a shear torque of about 40Nm.
You'll need an ambidextrous torque wrench to avoid shearing plug.
Next issue is if the tip has blown it can separate and be left in the cylinder head.
My advice is find a good garage and I trust the work to them.

As your not mechanically minded, get into reputable independent garage. A quick resistance check on glow plugs will tell if it's plug or power supply.
But it does sound very much like glow plugs.
There isn't any replacement schedule for glow plugs. They are thought to last about 100k miles. As there is no scheduled maintenance, people leave them until they break down. This is why a lot of people have issues breaking them on removal. I have 6mm plugs in my Berlingo, which have a shear torque of 20Nm. 10mm plugs have a shear torque of about 40Nm.
You'll need an ambidextrous torque wrench to avoid shearing plug.
Next issue is if the tip has blown it can separate and be left in the cylinder head.
My advice is find a good garage and I trust the work to them.

This has always been my problem. Finding someone who really knows these engines and what they are doing but thanks for the advice, very informative.

Your van now sounds like you ...

... cold, lumpy and hard to start. :ROFLMAO:

LMlFutptyBoMeQWxLKzY.gif

Thanks. Trouble is I have no idea if they will be any good or not. The one in Leyburn is not too far but looks like its more larger commercial stuff. You get a twenty or thirty year old mechanic even they will probably have never seen a 2.5td from the last century. What I need is some grizzled grimy old duffer with a big hammer who knows his onions and despises all this modern computer driven automotive crap. :D

Thanks. Trouble is I have no idea if they will be any good or not. The one in Leyburn is not too far but looks like its more larger commercial stuff. You get a twenty or thirty year old mechanic even they will probably have never seen a 2.5td from the last century. What I need is some grizzled grimy old duffer with a big hammer who knows his onions and despises all this modern computer driven automotive crap. :D
I know of a couple of garages that would sort this, but they are in Huddersfield

I know of a couple of garages that would sort this, but they are in Huddersfield

Cheers. Too far really. Half the problem is living out in the sticks between Barnard Castle and Richmond is the nearest big town is Darlington 17 miles away. Thats were my usual garage is. They are ok and I know they are honest but Im not sure they are that great with old diesels like this. Most of the mechanics now are under 30. I might try one of the local facebook groups but Im a bit reluctant to. Would rather get a recommendation from someone I know and trust.

Cheers. Too far really. Half the problem is living out in the sticks between Barnard Castle and Richmond is the nearest big town is Darlington 17 miles away. Thats were my usual garage is. They are ok and I know they are honest but Im not sure they are that great with old diesels like this. Most of the mechanics now are under 30. I might try one of the local facebook groups but Im a bit reluctant to. Would rather get a recommendation from someone I know and trust.
Do you know any farmers, they don’t like parting with money. They might know a good mechanic.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back