Motorome Lumpy cold starting problem

barryd

This has been going on for years but has got progressively worse on this trip as its got colder.

To give you the history its a Kontiki 640 of 1996 Vintage with a 2.5TD Peugeot Boxer engine and Ive had it since 2008. I reckon this problem started about maybe 8 years ago, maybe longer. Ive had the injectors refurbished at great expense after everyone said it was that and it was maybe a bit better for a while but its still doing it. Basically it starts up as lumpy as hell like its firing on two cylinders and kicks out loads of smoke. Sounds dramatic but quarter of a mile up the road its absolutely fine.

When we got the van tested up in Aycliffe earlier this year the guy there mentioned the starting issue and that he thought some kind of conversion had been done on the glow plugs. I called him just now but he cant remember much about it only that he thought there was some kind of conversion on it. Going back about eight years or so I remember after the van had had some work done that the orange light for the glow plugs was coming on for way longer than it did before it had gone in for whatever work was getting done. I think its since then that this horrible cold starting issue has appeared.

I have always thought it was glow plug related but the general advice was always injectors.

Anyway I need to find someone in the North East of England that can finally fettle it. Any ideas or suggestions?

Definitely sounds like glow plugs, change them, cheap enough just be careful removing the old ones, soak them in lubricant, leave for a while soak again then gently ease them out. They can snap if you're too rough. Clean all the connections too while you're at it.

Thanks

I just wonder what the guy meant by he thought someone had put some kind of conversion on the glow plugs. Ive always thought it was that. One theory I had based on no knowledge of mechanics whatsoever is there maybe isnt enough power getting to the glow plugs. As said, one year when it came back the orange light started staying on for much longer than it did originally.

Sounds like glow plugs to me. As mentioned, check the wiring to the plugs hasn’t perished.

I had a very similar problem on a van years ago Barry which dragged on for years - glow plugs sure enough.

Thanks. Now I think about it a few years back I am sure they tested the glow plugs but I have emailed the garage in question and mentioned it again. I think half the problem is finding mechanics now that are familiar with a vehicle this old.

My iveco 2.8 will start without the warming of the glow plugs, some other engines are like this.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back