Motorhome driver has a lucky escape.

Still no idea what happened to the 1st VW, the mini SUV type thing ( T Roc perhaps?, all look the same ). Not the UP.

Wonder if MH clipped it?

The MH driver certainly deserves to be prosecuted for such reckless driving - it was amazing that he didn't hit anyone.
I can decide whether it was being driven by the owner or a thief.
If it was stolen I can understand wanting to make speedy getaway but risking a crash if you objective is resale doesn't make sense nor does drawing attention to yourself.
So was it an idiot owner?
In the public's eyes we're tarred with the brush I'm afraid anyway which is a shame because it's so out of the character of all those I've met.

A bit suprised as to why the video creator seems to have 3 cameras (forward backwards and sideways) and giving a commentary etc
OK forward and back maybe same camera with options but angles look different.

Like most accidents caused by a combination of factors. Speeding motorhome wrong yes
Others at fault as well too much straddling caused by rushing and others not giving way ! (allowing safe joining & legitimate lane changing

He has a YouTube channel reviewing cars.

I don't think this near miss was down to anyone else other than the motorhome driver.
He was clearly using the hard shoulder to get past a lorry then drove over some hatching to force himself into a running lane as well as driving much too fast for the conditions.

What surprises me is the number of comments. 65, 66 with this one, commenting on what is just another day on another motorway.
From the elevated driving position of an LGV ( HGV as was ), sights like this, or even worse are an every day occurrence. The only difference here is it’s on camera. TBH, nothing on the road shocks me anymore. This would have been, just another day at work.
A couple of years ago I saw a head on collision, immediately in front of me on the A47 near Dereham. Obvious what was about to happen. All the time in the world to avoid it happening. Luckily no one was badly injured.
Just one more reason why I’m enjoying my retirement

Very lucky motorhome driver, lucky he didn't cause a huge accident on the motorway slipway joining the M6. Great reaction from the motorhome driver and other vehicles to avoid an accident. But then again is the motorhome driving like an idiot?

having watched from the start shows motorhome joining from on ramp coming strait out from behind artic onto chevrons,,, an illegal move. looked like the vehicle was traveling the approach to fast..

There is a number of factors. At first I thought the black car had come down the slip road across the chevron but they had see the MH coming and moved over.
The first is the motorhome was going too fast and didn't read what was happening.
The black car looks as though it was slowing to let all the slip road traffic in as there was lots of room in front.
You could say why was the complainant had not moved into lane one as it was empty. The slip road traffic has to adjust its speed to MERGE in not speed up and force overs to take evasive action like always happens as in this case.
The MH was not on the hard shoulder as stated.

Look at Mark61 5 minute video - leaves no doubt.
Wing mirror view shows MH undertaking at speed on hard shoulder on approach to an on slip merge lane where shoulder ends.
There's only one driver breaking the law here so responsiblilty for this situation lies with MH.

Camera car is in lane 1 - the 'empty lane' is in fact the on slip. So he's doing exactly as he should - driving steadily leaving decent distance in front.

Last edited:
having watched from the start shows motorhome joining from on ramp coming strait out from behind artic onto chevrons,,, an illegal move. looked like the vehicle was traveling the approach to fast..

Motorhome wasnt joining from ramp watch again slowly

Is it only me but on the exit of the on slip there is giveaway lines? And the traffic joining the motorway are obliged to give way too those already on the carriageway? Only too often in busy situations traffic joining the motorway think it is automatically their right to push on regardless and is only becoming too common. If it isn't considered safe the joining traffic must be prepared too stop.

That's correct - at this location the left hand lane of the slip becomes lane 1 of 4 lane M6.
So just one lane has to merge.
Several overhead views posted earlier in thread.

The camper was within the law undertaking slow moving traffic.

The black VW crossed the chevron and pushed the MH over to the right.

Nonsense ! That is a ridiculous speed to be travelling at between two slower moving lanes of traffic. Yes its a closed chevron and you are not supposed to cross the line before merging on, but you need to be able to react to other idiot motorists like the VW driver and not trust that everyone adheres to the very letter of the highway code. Get real - Speed kills

Have to agree - there's no way that undertaking on the hard shoulder is legal.
Nor is driving on chevrons at slip road - as a reminder these are bordered by solid lines and as we all know it's illegal to cross solid lines.
And even if 'filtering' the speed should be appropriate - the motorhome barged his way through at a horrific differential.
Everyone was lucky they didn't get hit by the road hog.

the motorhome was on the chevrons as it passed under the bridge and undertaking the truck,(perhaps the truck driver was the first to react and slowed enough to let it in)!!and going a bit quicker than the rest of the trafiic,,,the lettering on the rear number plate looks european,the last forward facing pics show he was still faster than the general traffic,,,he made the mistakenot the car driver.

Ive got a video from my rear view cam of an Audi driver on the A1 south of Darlington at 65mph so close i cant read his numberplate or see his headlights. OOHH decisions decisions. Do i hit the send to police button or not???? Utter twa£ Lewis Hamilton on a straight road. Shame hes gets bullied at home by his better half as he rushes of to his job selling insurance in an office where no one likes him. But behind his stearing wheel on a straight road hes superman, Lewis Hamilton, able to bully anyone out of his way.

Bless, poor Audi driver, probably had a white Sprinter behind him with an urgent delivery. :p

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back