Motorhome cambelt whilst in lockdown

Lucky you, my van the whole front end had to come of, then the rads and intercooler.
Few years ago sons water pump needed doing and i told him to change it easy enough ( lumbered myself then ) - but it was a twin cam renault clio pig of a job no room and it took me 2 days i think - twin cams are a pig of a job as a lot will know

My car will be done in summer, proton with a renault 4df 16 valve with little room round it, may be an engine out job, not looking forward to the job.

• Funny
Reactions: mfw
Few years ago sons water pump needed doing and i told him to change it easy enough ( lumbered myself then ) - but it was a twin cam renault clio pig of a job no room and it took me 2 days i think - twin cams are a pig of a job as a lot will know
Used to do our cambelts, the old Cavaliers where a doddle, last one I did was our old Astra, a PITA, I did the recommended (at that time) of replacing belt, tensioner, idlers, a week later the pump started going and needed replacing. :mad:

Easiest one ever was on my 1972 Ford Cortina 1.6 GXL, did it out on the road in front of the house in no time at all :)

Easiest one ever was on my 1972 Ford Cortina 1.6 GXL, did it out on the road in front of the house in no time at all :)
I thought they were pushrod engines, most here were with ither a 1100 or 1300 cc xflow engine.

Exactly like this one and the reg was GTD 99K, wish i`d kept it.

E6E49A.jpg

I thought they were pushrod engines, most here were with ither a 1100 or 1300 cc xflow engine.

1600/2000 ohc 'Pinto' was cam belt....
And a crappy pressed steel spray bar to lube the followers

Oil spray holes used to block and wipe out the followers/cam in short order.

7f869ad488a1afaed1fb840df179f255.jpg

Burton used to do some very nice tuning gear for them.

Folk here as a rule did not buy pinto engines as they gave so much cam trouble if not getting oil changes, most here dont service cars and just run them for 2/3 years and trade in for new, second owner never bothers ether and just runs a few years and dumps them to scrappy, some times i nail good cars before it gets dumped, just missed one up our street, 6 year old pergo est with 40 th on clock, seen it go on scrappies truck and it was like new. :(

1600/2000 ohc 'Pinto' was cam belt....
And a crappy pressed steel spray bar to lube the followers

Oil spray holes used to block and wipe out the followers/cam in short order.

View attachment 91169

Burton used to do some very nice tuning gear for them.
Later models had larger spray holes if I remember correctly, good engine though with a few tuning bits on

Later models had larger spray holes if I remember correctly, good engine though with a few tuning bits on
Yes, the later ones had the holes enlarged, Ford did same on the later twin cam 8 valve engine, holes where too small and got blockages.

Yes, the later ones had the holes enlarged, Ford did same on the later twin cam 8 valve engine, holes where too small and got blockages.
And there wear build of cast iron which is way out of date from ww2.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back