Mosquito repellants

Smidge works great for Kim my wife. She typically gets bitten way way more than I do but we took a holiday in Kos last year, she used Smidge and never got bit at all. I heroically performed the task of 'control subject ' and was bitten quite a lot.

• Funny
Reactions: GMJ
Does anyone have a sure way to stop being bitten by mosquitos ? I think I must of tried most things peppermint oils sprays lotions creams bracelets plug ins … honestly if anyone has got the secret could you share with me please
I don't think there is any but people use Avon skin so soft ,I've read Bog Myrtle is good maybe available in health shops .Good luck

The Germans tried everything but they still got there targets. 😂
mossie.jpg

Does anyone have a sure way to stop being bitten by mosquitos ? I think I must of tried most things peppermint oils sprays lotions creams bracelets plug ins … honestly if anyone has got the secret could you share with me please
Stinky Deep!

This was a useful programme, worth a listen.

Davy
Similarly, I listened to this one day, and was so impressed with the story I went out to Waitrose to buy a bottle of Incognito. I haven’t been anywhere to test it yet though!

From Wikipedia: (“After contracting two life-threatening diseases from mosquito bites, despite using a high-percentage DEET-based repellent, he (Howard Carter) was motivated to invent a totally natural, equally effective mosquito repellent, incognito anti-mosquito.“

Generally speaking, mosquitoes are most active around sunrise and sunset. They rarely come out during the middle of the day when the sun is out, since direct sunlight and high midday temperatures can quickly dehydrate them. Sleep under mosquito netting. Use a fan to blow tem away. [LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Last edited by a moderator:
I Have a usb powered UV zap lamp - nothing nicer than hearing the dam things zap themselves when wriggling through the high voltage bars!

Just looked at date on my bottle of SSS here in Portugal....it is still original formula which, I gather, is hard to get now. Smidge is better for midges and mosquitoes probably as actually formulated as an insect repellent! Will continue to use my old bottle from Avon but Smidge is what I keep in the van. I have seen talk of a bug guard spray made by Avon but not seen any for sale.

We bought a dozen bottles years ago Ruth. Sadly I think we are down to one or two left now.

Often worked for us but not always, I'm normally a magnet for them.

Reactions: REC
I got a 6 month contract in Nigeria where malaria based mossies proliferate. Phew, big words, I'll go and have a lie down . . . . .

. . . . . OK I'm back.
Rule one: you can't take anti malaria tablets for more than 3 months because they rot your liver
2) Mossies inhabit damp areas: swamps, slow rivers, and at ground level in hedgerows for example. So stay away.
3) Eating garlic keeps them away. It penetrates the pores on your skin and they don't like it so they stay away. It really works.
4) As they like damp ground, go up higher where there isn't any. I moved to the top floor of the hotel and I could sleep with the windows open.

So if you are in a camper, have garlic mushrooms for breakfast, garlic beer for lunch and chicken kiev for tea.
Garlic beer is an actual thing:
The Isle of Wight is Europe's biggest producer of garlic. They have an annual Garlic Festival that I went to. There was a beer tent that sold Garlic Beer. I thought no, that's impossible so I bought some. Tasted it. Nearly threw up. Thought: no it couldn't have been that bad. Tasted some more. Yes, it is that bad. Poured it away on a poor unsuspecting plant and went and bought some peppermints.

Tea tree oil, they hate it

You need to change your BLOOD TYPE to something less appealing. You are either one of the people who get bitten or you are not. SWMBO has tried as you have most things. Light coloured clothing, mossi repellents, long trousers and she still get bitten. Lot depends on location. Next to swamp land is certainly not good. We have seen staff walking round spraying bushes in Spain and Turkey. Main difference with Spain is they are active all the while. The Turkish version tend to kip during the day when its hot 🙂 Watched a video the other night about people living in the Tropical forests. They don't get bitten but they do have lots of campfires and lots of smoke. There was just a foggy haze hanging over the camping area. Evidently the moss dont like smoke.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back