Morrisons blanket ban on LPG for Motorhomes

Admin

Administrator
I filled up with LPG at Morrisons in Coventry yesterday. This notice was on the LPG pump.

Notice said:
The LPG pumps on our forecourts are designed for use with Automotive LPG tanks, For safety reasons we do not allow the refuelling of other types of tank, such as portable cylinders, or fixed tanks used to power domestic appliances in caravans or motor homes.

IMG_3084.jpg

Well that’s the last time I buy fuel from Morrison’s, and letter to say so will be going to head office, maybe a rethink if many others do the same.

OMG What’s happening!

Is there a UK Blanket Motorhome Hate campaign in pretty much every respect !

OMG What’s happening!

Is there a UK Blanket Motorhome Hate campaign in pretty much every respect !

I suspect not a sinister than that, I wouldn't be surprised if there are insurance terms etc involved talking about adequate staff training etc

The bigger question is will other retailers follow ,,,,you might not like my answer to that

Channa

Yeah,,,I suppose they will all have to fall in line onece H&S is mentioned!.

Oh well, maybe there’s a business opportunity for a Gas Delivery van for Fill ups as they do with Some House tanks,, (Obviously They Park up at pre ranged spots on spacific days you go to them, Like Burger n Chip vans lol lol)

Had just talked myself into going for an LPG tank, might hold off and see where this goes first.

Simply (simple uninformed) Safety First

Whilst they are wrong to not fill up proper installations (Gas-it GasLo and others).

They are making it easy and safe for their untrained staff.

Let us not go "overboard" on this..
I quite like their supermarket produce and display and if Diesel is cheap Yippee !
I like Morrissons and Tesco but I go and shop where it is convenient and good.
Sainsbury's are OK but Lidl better.. Aldi has its advantages as well but beware the time limit !

I only need LPG about every 3 weeks so many other sources for LPG

Hi Jagmanx,
Yeah on the whole I agree with what you say, & TBH I have got a Gasit Plus Refillable system that I actually last filled up LAST APRIL (2017) & have STILL got -
3D5D6AEE-5821-405B-8904-2DEC7109845B.jpg
So Obviously not a big user & won’t really affect me, it just seems that it’s One more Nail,,One mor ‘Attack’ ‘Specifically’ against MOTORHOMES,,
No Camping, No Gas Refills, Hight Barriers At Parking Facilities, Ect...

Who is to say that a Petrol Tank on a Home Built Kit Car (Or ANY car) is ‘Safe’ when they fill up at a garage as ‘I Believe they don’t pay too much attention to the ACTUAL tank OR it’s fixings at an MOT !

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe

Hi Jagmanx,
Yeah on the whole I agree with what you say, & TBH I have got a Gasit Plus Refillable system that I actually last filled up LAST APRIL (2017) & have STILL got -
View attachment 62482
So Obviously not a big user & won’t really affect me, it just seems that it’s One more Nail,,One mor ‘Attack’ ‘Specifically’ against MOTORHOMES,,
No Camping, No Gas Refills, Hight Barriers At Parking Facilities, Ect...

I think height barriers are the biggest problem.
I assume they are to stop "illegal overnighting" but they also stop
Legitimate daytime parking for many legit reasons
  • visiting a beauty spot
  • visiting a nature reserve/spot
  • stopping for a break
  • etc etc

On one occasion no signage and I had to reverse out onto a main road !

Who is to say that a Petrol Tank on a Home Built Kit Car (Or ANY car) is ‘Safe’ when they fill up at a garage as ‘I Believe they don’t pay too much attention to the ACTUAL tank OR it’s fixings at an MOT !
I cannot comment about them checking a cars LPG tank on the MOT because I don't have one but the garage I use failed my van because he thought the fixing straps on my underslung tank were too rusty and insecure, it is a good job they did because when I removed them it was only the plastic coating holding them together, I have now fitted more solid straps, while it was off I gave the tank a good clean and a few coats of paint as well.

The Morrisons around here don't sell LPG but I use Asda, how long before they go the same way

Morrisons have had this ban for the last three years.

As an occasional motorcyclist why do I have to take my crash helmet off when I pay for petrol ?

:ninja:

As an occasional motorcyclist why do I have to take my crash helmet off when I pay for petrol ?

I know ridiculous, my husband went into building society and woman behind desk said hiya Jack can you take your crash helmet off ? when he asked why she said so that we can recognise people bearing in mind the helmet in question was open face and she had just addressed him by his name , he refused of course and said when I see a burka removed then I’ll remove the helmet, reply was no comment . And yes I do understand the reasoning but rules have to apply to all. Going back to the gas wouldn’t have thought there was any more danger filling an underslung tank or a car. Just an exercise to make it easier for staff but once again the customer suffers.

Last edited:
Don't get too wound up they have had this ban for years as they had one miner incident

Last edited:
Never use Morrison’s for refilling my tank as it’s approx 12 miles away and pleased to say I have 4 filling stations that have gas and a Calor depot all within 6 miles of home.

I have 4 filling stations that have gas and a Calor depot all within 6 miles of home.

Your lucky if the Calor depot will fill you Ours when independently ran did but since calor took over the operation they've stopped it all together

Well my local Morrison's hasn't had any ban for the same period, in fact one attendant thanked me for reminding him I had had gas as well as diesel. I suspect it is all down to one manger who didn't really understand what was going on so issued a blanket ban just to be sure he pissed off the maximum number of people

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back