More Positive news.

At least they are prepared to allow stop overs. You can pay £10 for a few hours parking in some places. Your choice, if you don’t like their terms move on to somewhere else.
THIS ....

I personally don't think £10 for parking your motorhome/camper overnight in a nice location is expensive ...

Costs of most sites has risen overall ....some to frankly ludicrous amounts (£50 plus being mentioned in some parts of the lakes )

Even some of our fave £15 a night stops are now £20 (though facilities have been improved )

£10 frankly just isn't expensive ...unless your so tight you only breathe in ...
If you think it is ....
Just carry on and find somewhere else .

THIS ....

I personally don't think £10 for parking your motorhome/camper overnight in a nice location is expensive ...

Costs of most sites has risen overall ....some to frankly ludicrous amounts (£50 plus being mentioned in some parts of the lakes )

Even some of our fave £15 a night stops are now £20 (though facilities have been improved )

£10 frankly just isn't expensive ...unless your so tight you only breathe in ...
If you think it is ....
Just carry on and find somewhere else .
Absolutely, and many councils ring fence this money to improve and even expand these places in future. Although if you are a member of the CCC and over 60 there are some decent prices out there. Next week we are heading to their Oban site full facilities, grass only pitch £14.20 a night, later in the trip we are heading to their Nairn site full facilities hard standing with EHU £ 21 a night. But some of the honeypot sites down south are ridiculous prices.

We are in the thank you for the opportunity to stay at an amazing location 10 quids a bargain, how much now in a site on grass no leccy???

Worth noting that this thread was started back in 2020 right in the middle of the pandemic. Since then we’ve had a cost of living crisis (which affects some a lot more than others).

I was watching a very recent YouTube video yesterday where a council in Cornwall is “experimenting” in 2024 with allowing mohos/campervans to park in a grass field (no facilities whatsoever - it’s in Bude) for £21 a night.

So £10 a night in a hardstanding car park in Kielder seems a bargain by comparison. 🤷‍♀️

I noted one of the comments under the Cornwall video which suggested starting a “you can park outside my home for £10” app. Don’t know if it was made in jest, but where we’re at right now in the world I think the idea could have legs …! 😉 😎

Last edited:
Another point worth mentioning is how locals view these payments, and how councils can use these payments to justify to locals the reasoning behind allowing us to stay overnight. Also these charges help to limit the amount of motorhomes staying overnight. In many cases when complaints are made about us overnighting, councils can reply stating that whereas daytime parking is either free or nominally charged, but we pay substantially more, and this money is used to improve facilities for all.

Another point worth mentioning is how locals view these payments, and how councils can use these payments to justify to locals the reasoning behind allowing us to stay overnight. Also these charges help to limit the amount of motorhomes staying overnight. In many cases when complaints are made about us overnighting, councils can reply stating that whereas daytime parking is either free or nominally charged, but we pay substantially more, and this money is used to improve facilities for all.

By contrast I watched another video by the same guy where they visited Tintagel. He found a couple of big car parks there, both free and with no restrictions on motorhomes staying overnight.

Surprise, surprise … turns out after a discussion with a barmaid that the land at both car parks is privately owned by the pubs (which would not be obvious to anyone visiting). Barmaid in one pub says it is really good for their business, they never have any problems with motorhomes parking up and folk are welcomed with open arms. A 100% win-win situation.

Unfortunately - and leaving funding issues aside - councils can be pretty useless at “joining the dots” when it comes to their particular approaches to parking 🤷‍♀️

By contrast I watched another video by the same guy where they visited Tintagel. He found a couple of big car parks there, both free and with no restrictions on motorhomes staying overnight.

Surprise, surprise … turns out after a discussion with a barmaid that the land at both car parks is privately owned by the pubs (which would not be obvious to anyone visiting). Barmaid in one pub says it is really good for their business, they never have any problems with motorhomes parking up and folk are welcomed with open arms. A 100% win-win situation.

Unfortunately - and leaving funding issues aside - councils can be pretty useless at “joining the dots” when it comes to their particular approaches to parking 🤷‍♀️
Sadly Marie, it depends were the car park is. Up here in two locations in Fife even though they allowed limited overnight parking it was abused. We witnessed over 30 vans in Elie, and people emptying their cassettes into the toilet. Thankfully Fife council did not simply drop their barrier, but have since installed a chemical waste point and other facilities. It’s annoying in the extreme, but sadly we have selfish idiots amongst us who don’t care about these issues, or the affect it has on others. These carparks were all free now, but they decided to charge £5-10 a night to attempt to limit numbers. But as I have stated already this money is ring fenced.

Where do people empty their cassettes who don't use sites or have access to official waste points without just dumping them anywhere?

Asking for a friend.

My own thoughts are, any vehicle without toilet facilities should not park overnight anywhere that does not have toilet facilities for them to use.

Just sayin.
Kev, what exactly are toilet facilities, and some think nothing of emptying cassettes into public toilets, even when there are signs up asking them not to do so. I know that the forestry commission have this policy, but I am not sure I agree with this policy.
Where do people empty their cassettes who don't use sites or have access to official waste points without just dumping them anywhere?

Asking for a friend.
What they do is really simple Kev.
They plan to visit a chemical waste point as required.
This may be a campsite which allows access, or a dedicated facility.
I am heading out soon on a three week trip around the north of Scotland. But I know when and where I will be emptying my cassette and getting fresh water before heading out. It’s not someone else’s responsibility, it’s ours. But obviously England and Wales are way behind Scotland in providing these facilities, and it’s high time this was looked into. I am in no way condoning such poor selfish behaviour, but councils and others should be doing more to mitigate this situation. When you think of what we pay into the economy, it’s not much to ask for.

Worth noting that this thread was started back in 2020 right in the middle of the pandemic. Since then we’ve had a cost of living crisis (which affects some a lot more than others).

I was watching a very recent YouTube video yesterday where a council in Cornwall is “experimenting” in 2024 with allowing mohos/campervans to park in a grass field (no facilities whatsoever - it’s in Bude) for £21 a night.

So £10 a night in a hardstanding car park in Kielder seems a bargain by comparison. 🤷‍♀️

I noted one of the comments under the Cornwall video which suggested starting a “you can park outside my home for £10” app. Don’t know if it was made in jest, but where we’re at right now in the world I think the idea could have legs …! 😉 😎
There is already a Just Park App for parking cars on peoples drives and forecourts. Perhaps this could be expanded to include motorhomes or campervans. We used it to find somewhere to park a car at Kew Gardens and found a forecourt directly opposite the gardens and about 2 minutes from the entrance, it was really convenient and very easy to book.

There is already a Facebook group or app for that very thing overnighting on people’s drives can’t remember the name of it I’ll look later.
Should have read the post by Okta before I posted 🤔

Kev, what exactly are toilet facilities, and some think nothing of emptying cassettes into public toilets, even when there are signs up asking them not to do so. I know that the forestry commission have this policy, but I am not sure I agree with this policy.
I was meaning for them to use as a toilet, not as a place to empty a cassette as most campers don't have one, some do have a porta potti of course so can drive to a proper place to empty it assumingly.

I was meaning for them to use as a toilet, not as a place to empty a cassette as most campers don't have one, some do have a porta potti of course so can drive to a proper place to empty it assumingly.
Kev, I was trying to highlight that even vans with full facilities are just as much an issue if the owners don’t make sure they have proper facilities to empty them. I am reluctant to ban folk for not having “conventional “ facilities. I have seen folk out in vans that are are no more than works vans with a mattress in the back. But not everyone can afford a Motorhome. If they behave properly I don’t see why they should not be able to enjoy WC. You could have a young couple with no facilities doing no harm, and parked next to them a gin palace with toilet facilities that are being emptied into the toilet, or in a stream nearby. I know they banned WC without facilities in New Zealand, but I am not sure I would want to see this happening here.

If its the same video I watch Marie (Love sundays) his buddy hit the nail on the head. "It is set up to fail so at least the council can say we tried it out but didnt get any takers".

Kev, I was trying to highlight that even vans with full facilities are just as much an issue if the owners don’t make sure they have proper facilities to empty them. I am reluctant to ban folk for not having “conventional “ facilities. I have seen folk out in vans that are are no more than works vans with a mattress in the back. But not everyone can afford a Motorhome. If they behave properly I don’t see why they should not be able to enjoy WC. You could have a young couple with no facilities doing no harm, and parked next to them a gin palace with toilet facilities that are being emptied into the toilet, or in a stream nearby. I know they banned WC without facilities in New Zealand, but I am not sure I would want to see this happening here.
I didn't make myself clear possibly,

One van zero facilities, in or near to the van, they wake up and have certain needs after having breakfast, where do they go?

Back