More Positive news.

campervanannie

B6F60AA9-1488-4039-8544-6D05E56F3D3B.jpeg
02F6142A-1258-4812-902D-2861FD31C0B5.jpeg

Great on Northumbrian Water. Just goes to show Motorhomes/Campervans are able to stay overnight somewhere i/e here and they say on sign Camping not permitted on this site.At other car parks when Motorhome Campervans can stay overnight and one sleeps in vehicle one gets accused of Camping.Shows how different places interpret the term camping in different ways!!So good on this place to accept us at a charge.£10 a bit steep though.

After a little checking

A little confusing.The sign in Annies Post above clearly states Highlighted in Red on the sign "Camping is not permitted on this site" BUT when one goes on the Kielder Water Website it says this relating to Motorhomes and Campers

"The car parks will be checked at random and campers will be expected to have paid.
We expect users to take all their rubbish home and no open fires are permitted.
We see this as a great opportunity for campers to enjoy the parks fantastic dark skies.
The overnight parking is for vehicles only used for camping, NO use of tents permitted.
We encourage campers to use the formal campsites in Kielder and also surrounding areas, but we do want to support those who would rather park in a quiet areas and enjoy the park.
Electric car charging points are available for use at the following sites in Kielder Water & Forest Park"

So it says here vehicles permitted for camping! And we encourage campers.

very confusing

After a little checking

A little confusing.The sign in Annies Post above clearly states Highlighted in Red on the sign "Camping is not permitted on this site" BUT when one goes on the Kielder Water Website it says this relating to Motorhomes and Campers

"The car parks will be checked at random and campers will be expected to have paid.
We see this as a great opportunity for campers to enjoy the parks fantastic dark skies.
The overnight parking is for vehicles only used for camping, NO use of tents permitted.
We encourage campers to use the formal campsites in Kielder and also surrounding areas, but we do want to support those who would rather park in a quiet areas and enjoy the park.
Electric car charging points are available for use at the following sites in Kielder Water & Forest Park"

very confusing

I think they may be referring to tent camping. They've had a lot of trouble up at Kielder with the same cov-idiots who have been trashing all the other beauty/touristy spots throughout the UK the last few months.

They should be more specific with the wording though, I agree it is confusing.

[QUOTE="mickymost, post: 1108127, member: 42948

"The car parks will be checked at random and motorhome and camper-van owners will be expected to have paid.
We see this as a great opportunity for people to enjoy the parks fantastic dark skies.
The overnight parking is for vehicles only purpose built for camping, NO use of tents permitted.
We encourage tenters to use the formal campsites in Kielder and also surrounding areas, but we do want to support those who would rather park in a quiet areas and enjoy the park.

very confusing

[/QUOTE]

Any better?

[QUOTE="mickymost, post: 1108127, member: 42948

"The car parks will be checked at random and motorhome and camper-van owners will be expected to have paid.
We see this as a great opportunity for people to enjoy the parks fantastic dark skies.
The overnight parking is for vehicles only purpose built for camping, NO use of tents permitted.
We encourage tenters to use the formal campsites in Kielder and also surrounding areas, but we do want to support those who would rather park in a quiet areas and enjoy the park.

very confusing

Any better?
[/QUOTE]

Cant see what you mean?

Just making a point different Authorities I/E Councils Forestry Commissions National Trust managing Authorities etc many say no overnight camping.I agree this in theory relates to tents BUT some of these authorities are quick to use the term Camping to prosecute with a ticket Motorhomes and Campervans who have slept over in their vehicles even if one hasnt laid out ones car park place with tables and chairs like some selfish twats do obviously one has to use common sense relating to the risk.

Hi all. Can’t really see what is confusing. We as Moho owners can not even agree among ourselves as to what is camping. Wild camping. Parking etc so how do we expect councils nat trust. Fforrestry etc to agree. £10 steep or not. We all have the choice. Let’s make the most of it. I think of it as a toe in the door a start. Let’s try it. See how it goes. Maybe others will do the same. If you are for it. Go for it. If you are against it don’t knock it. We are all different with different opinions whether they are imho. Or just imo or just opinions. Mind you I have as yet never seen a imdo. In my dishonest opinions. So why do some put honest. Lol. Brian

Any better?

Cant see what you mean?
[/QUOTE]

The car parks will be checked at random and motorhome and camper-van owners will be expected to have paid.
The overnight parking is only for vehicles purpose built for camping, NO use of tents permitted.

In France and Spain ( and other countries) where motor homes and campers are allowed, signs generally state “No camping behaviour” and people understand it means that, although you can stay in your vehicle overnight, you can’t use it like a campsite.
Common sense really.
The problems arise when people try to be clever and attempt to bend the rules to suit what they want to do.
Bit like the incredibly clear lockdown message “Stay at Home” that people seemed to think didnt really apply to them.

Hi all. Further to the original post re camping. No offence or disrespect to anyone. Our title is wild camping. So if others say we are camping they are only agreeing with us. I myself belong to the 3 forums. And follow what they are called. But when I see wild camping I substitute that in my mind to wild motorhoming/ campervanning. But that’s an old argument.

If you check here you see which NWG car parks are allowing overnight parking, bear in mind the full 24 hour cost will be up to £15 depending on when you turn up, having pre-booked your space ...........

Last edited:
Cow Green was one of my favourite stopovers when travelling to the lakes from Teesside until they prohibited overnight parking earlier this year due to people abusing the carparks, emptying cassettes into the toilet comes to mind.
I don’t have a problem with a charge but £10.00 is a bit steep imho. I’m presently parked up on a CS near Penrith, toilet, water, recycling bins, grey & black disposal, secure entry with security code on access gate. £11.00 or £15.00 with EHU which I don’t require.
I will probably stopover at Cow Green but not as frequently as I used to.

Personally i think £10 is a bit steep for 1 nights stay on just a basic car park which would ordinarily be empty and generate no revenue.

£5 yes but £10 no, it is too much IMHO.
£10 is too much and I can see people not paying if there is a chance of getting away with it.
Much more sensible would be a pound or two.
Bury st Edmunds allows overnight parking for 5 motor homes/ campers in one of their town centre car parks for £1 ( no facilities) and Canterbury offers parking waste disposal and fresh water for £7 per 24 hrs, plus free Park and Ride into the city.

It seems to me, and this is only my thoughts, that the council/ Nat trust/Forestry etc, see us as able to pay huge sums of money for these motorhomes that we drive around in and they consider that £10 is a small price to pay just to park up overnight. I may of course be wrong and I do know that a lot of members here have brought their motorhome/campervan on a budget like we have. However the media seems to lump us all together in large white whales parking all over. Just my thoughts.

Back